Everyone can see it...

This is a discussion on Everyone can see it... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received my CHL today, after hearing the general consensus online and from my Instructor I expected to be like most and feel awkward ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone can see it...

Everyone can see it...

I just received my CHL today, after hearing the general consensus online and from my Instructor I expected to be like most and feel awkward for the first few months carrying. I assumed I would be self conscious that everyone was staring at my sidearm, judging me, ect ,ect.

I made it a point to go into a few stores today just to get a feel for being out in public carrying. I have had the complete opposite experience than what I have read and heard. I felt completely comfortable and did not worry one bit if anyone made me. I know I am printing to some degree as I had to adjust from my expected 3:30-4:00 carry position to 3:00 to facilitate driving comfortably. I had my usual conversations with the store clerks and even had someone in the local supermarket walk right up to me and ask a question about something in the store, never once was I concerned that they would notice.

Anyone else feel completely comfortable right out of the gate?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nosirrom View Post
    I shall say welcome and congrats on the permit first.

As for being 100% comfortable right out of the gate. Nope, not at all. I have been carrying for a few months now and I've had some moments where I thought someone knew or at least they where wondering.

I had one instance just last week while wearing my Smartcarry this woman's eyes became huge. I looked right at her and her eyes where staring right at my crotch. She never said anything but it did make me feel a tad uncomfortable.

Was I made? I have no clue. Did she think I was well equipped? I have no clue as well but it was still not a fun feeling knowing she was staring the way she was.

I'm comfortable in my carry but life happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I shall say welcome and congrats on the permit first.
    Thank you, that was a long 14 days waiting for the call to come pick it up.

I'm not ruling out that the same instance that happened to you may occur and cause some uneasiness. I was just surprised in the comfort and confidence on the first day. We shall see what the future brings though.

Next time some woman is checking out your "smartcarry" ask her if she would like to grab a bite to eat as you noticed her "checking" you out.

Thank you, that was a long 14 days waiting for the call to come pick it up.
    Wish TX was like that... it's been almost 2 months and I'm still waiting...
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

I felt the same way when I first carried. I wasn't concerned at all. I long ago figured out that the average person has 0% attention to detail. Between that and a compact pistol, quality carry rig, and effective concealment garments, I never really sweat it.

I also never had any concern with carrying condition one. I know it takes a lot of people time to get used to that. That one has never bothered me, either.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

The addition of a weapon to my person gave me a new awareness of those around me, not necessarily that anyone knew of my weapon, but that I had a new tool on my belt that with it brought tons of responsibility.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I still feel like i'm being watched. I think my plumber made me yesterday...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

My first few weeks carrying, I was nervous about being made, mostly due to the fact that I carried a double stack XD45. I switched to a Bersa .380 and now think nothing of it. I pay close attention to those folks around me and I have not noticed anyone paying special attention to me. I'm also not sure how to respond when someone does figure it out, should they confront me about it.

Still haven't figured out how to carry the XD with little or no print.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

When I first got my CHL, I immediately put my Glock on my hip and went to dinner. Problem was I was meeting my boss and thought for sure he would see the outline.

Over time, that goes away. Now that I understand that printing is not a big deal, it has gone from comfortable to an almost after thought.

Now, it's like anything else -- grab my keys, cell and weapon before I go out anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mech View Post
    My first few weeks carrying, I was nervous about being made, mostly due to the fact that I carried a double stack XD45. I switched to a Bersa .380 and now think nothing of it. I pay close attention to those folks around me and I have not noticed anyone paying special attention to me. I'm also not sure how to respond when someone does figure it out, should they confront me about it.

Still haven't figured out how to carry the XD with little or no print.
    I carry either the XD9SC or my 4" XD45 compact. I've been made once (that I am aware of) by a LEO at a theater who just looked and nodded in passing. I use the Supertuck at 3:30 to 4pm with my shirt not tucked in.

I think the grip length makes a difference plus I carry at a forward cant. I have carried the XD9 with the extended grip during the spring a couple of times, it does print more but I noticed very few people even really look.

Funny thing, my Blackberry cellphone is at 2pm and it prints more than either XD

I have been carrying since 2000. I originally carried a Glock 23 in a Galco CCP Paddle Holster. It prints horribly compared to the holsters I own now. LOL I wasnt worried about being made, I was just proud tohave the right to be carrying. I was para medic at the time and carried a pager and cell phone on my hip most places so I was used to bulges on my belt line. Most people who saw me thought the same thing. Never really freaked out to much. I did fidget a lot with it though movign and adjusting my pants, which in my mind is worse than being paranoid.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I grew up around firearms and carried every day.

I am not ashamed to say I carried before CC became legal and took the class and sent my paperwork into Austin 4 months before the law became effective.
    When the permit came in the mail, it was just another day for me.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

It takes a while. You'll get over it, especially when you realize just how oblivious most people are.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    I felt the same way when I first carried. I wasn't concerned at all. I long ago figured out that the average person has 0% attention to detail. Between that and a compact pistol, quality carry rig, and effective concealment garments, I never really sweat it.

I also never had any concern with carrying condition one. I know it takes a lot of people time to get used to that. That one has never bothered me, either.
    +1. I think it may have to do with my military training, but perhaps not. I never felt a bit anxious, even on day one.

Hmmm...just noticed that it may be time to change my avatar. (LOL, HoustonRaven)
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

I still do the "shirt tug" all the time and it's not because I'm nervous. Just last week, I was carrying OWB Kimber Ultra CDP II at 4:00. And just for fun, I didn't do the shirt tug, got out of my truck and not to be so obvious to look myself, I asked my wife if I was printing at all. She said, "No, you're completely exposed, Bad." Sooooooooooooooo, frequent shirt tug it is for me until I get my CBST in the mail.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links