CCW in Norfolk Airport?

This is a discussion on CCW in Norfolk Airport? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Title says it. I looked on Hangunlaw and its only talk about the terminals. If I'm just there to pick someone up at the baggage ...

Thread: CCW in Norfolk Airport?

CCW in Norfolk Airport?

Title says it. I looked on Hangunlaw and its only talk about the terminals.

If I'm just there to pick someone up at the baggage area, do i have to lock it in the car or can I leave it on?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Only sterile areas are off limits in VA, therefore you are legal until you hit the TSA checkpoint on your way to the gate.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

awesome, thanks for the reply

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Only sterile areas are off limits in VA, therefore you are legal until you hit the TSA checkpoint on your way to the gate.
    Not so sure about that.

See:

18.2-287.01. Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or transport into any air carrier airport terminal in the Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon, and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any weapon possessed or transported in violation of this section shall be forfeited to the Commonwealth and disposed of as provided in subsection A of 18.2-308.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, or conservation police officer, or conservator of the peace employed by the air carrier airport, nor shall the provisions of this section apply to any passenger of an airline who, to the extent otherwise permitted by law, transports a lawful firearm, weapon, or ammunition into or out of an air carrier airport terminal for the sole purposes, respectively, of (i) presenting such firearm, weapon, or ammunition to U.S. Customs agents in advance of an international flight, in order to comply with federal law, (ii) checking such firearm, weapon, or ammunition with his luggage, or (iii) retrieving such firearm, weapon, or ammunition from the baggage claim area.

Any other statute, rule, regulation, or ordinance specifically addressing the possession or transportation of weapons in any airport in the Commonwealth shall be invalid, and this section shall control.
    Athough not Norfork, you might want to take a look at: http://www.vcdl.org/letters/mwaa2008.pdf
    Last edited by DaveH; June 24th, 2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added "Athough not Norfork...."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Even if it is 100% legal why do you want to even take that risk? Flame me if you desire but I would lock it up in the car. There are way too many variables that can take place inside an airport for me to take that risk.

Again, flame me if you desire but I'm not bringing a firearm into an airport even if it is 100% legal when I'm picking someone up. They can call me when they hit the curb.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Sorry.. I missed an above post and posted the same info.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Have him bring his bags outside. Don't go armed into the building. Stay with your car at the curb or they will tow you. That's the drill for me, I have done it a few times.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Well i guess its staying it in the car, its my wife thats coming and shed probly be a little if i told her to just meet me outside lol

wow

If your not going to be going thru the security checkpoint then why even worry about it? It's legal....
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

VIP Member

Not so fast, please

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    If your not going to be going thru the security checkpoint then why even worry about it? It's legal....
    I don't think so!

See VA law at 18.2-287.01. at post #4, above.

INAL, as my signature says.

However, I hope no one inadvertently becomes a test-case based on opinions others have posted here.

There is a lot of confusion created by what applies to General Aviation facilities, both private & commercial (such as air charter, bush flying, etc) & common carriers (Aviation FedEx and UPS (and others)

vs.

what applies air carriers.

The issue here is an "air carrier airport terminal" -- not a General Aviation facility or Common Carrier facility.

And IMHO/INAL opinion the entire air carrier airport terminal is no carry!

BTW -- In some smaller airports in some parts of the country the physical layout complicates the process, as GA uses the same "terminal" as the air carrier. I always was wary when flying in Alaska.

However, see: http://www.vcdl.org/aircarrier.html which list Norfolk, VA as one of the nine airports in Virginia covered by the gun ban in 18.2-287.01.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 25th, 2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: emphasis, spacing, sp, and added last paragraph
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

hmmmm

Well now comes into play the definition of a "terminal". Is it where you board the aircraft? or is it where you buy your ticket, check your baggage & and pass thru security? Concourse and terminal are sometimes used synonomously but are they really the same? Is a "terminal" the entire airport or just were you board the plane? Perhaps I spoke out of turn saying it was legal.... but I'll take my chances next time I'm there picking up a traveler.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    Well now comes into play the definition of a "terminal". Is it where you board the aircraft? or is it where you buy your ticket, check your baggage & and pass thru security? Concourse and terminal are sometimes used synonomously but are they really the same? Is a "terminal" the entire airport or just were you board the plane? Perhaps I spoke out of turn saying it was legal.... but I'll take my chances next time I'm there picking up a traveler.
    shoot I was just nervous sitting outside at the car with the security/police out there! I never even went inside. It just feels weird! lol
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Links