Sig p239 question

This is a discussion on Sig p239 question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About to pick up a Sig p239 9mm from local shop, please give me all your opinions from ammo i should use for plinking and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig p239 question

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...

Question Sig p239 question

About to pick up a Sig p239 9mm from local shop, please give me all your opinions from ammo i should use for plinking and CC and id really like your opinions on IWB holsters as thats my favorite carry.
    Also, ive seen 10 round mags for these but, are they bulky? Do the two extra rounds make it a fullsize by comparison.
    Also, Decocker lever and slide release are switched for me, is it going to take time getting used to?
    Thanks in advance!
    also, it looks like an older model to me but, is there any way to date it without paying Sig to tell u?
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    I've used just about any 9mm that you can find short of cheap Russian stuff in my P239 and never had a problem. For SD, mine's loaded with 124 grain Remington Golden Saber JHP. I use the 8 round magazines, not sure about the extended ones, but IMO you're making a smaller, shorter gun harder to conceal with those.

The P239 is a great gun, but be forewarned; you can't just have one SIG!

A Crossbreed Supertuck + Beltman belt is the best IWB rig you can get for the P239 in my book!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    Yes, the 10 rounder is a bit bulky on what is otherwise a very concealable pistol. They aren't deal breakers, by any means, you just have to take that extra step in concealment. It makes it approximately as long in the grip as a P228/229; not quite "full size" (a la the P226), but bigger...

Any high quality SD round from a reputable manufacturer should be fine - but test whatever you decide to go with first. For practice ammo, I think whatever you can find (WWB, Blazer, etc) is good to go.

The P239 is a fine pistol, and will serve you well. The controls will become second nature soon enough.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Not trying to chase you away or disagreeing with anyone here all good solid advise but for everything sig, you need to try the sig forum.

A 239 has been in my ccw rotation for two years and I love the pistol. I use both Remington Golden Sabers (124g +p) and Speer (124g+P) for my SD rounds and whatever I can grab at Walmart for range practice. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and the pistol is very easy to conceal

I bought 2 10 round mags for the range and hate the bulk they add to the pistol. They really ruin a wonderful design.

As to slide release, decocker....just practice a lot, including dry firing at home.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Not trying to chase you away or disagreeing with anyone here all good solid advise but for everything sig, you need to try the Sig forum.
    +1

As far as the 239, I have the 9mm and it is a very fine weapon! Reliable, accurate, and shoots very well. Mine has gobbled up everything I feed it, never a malfunction!

A lot of people the have the 10 rounders don't like them, but some do. Most carry with the 8rd mags in the gun and carry the 10rd mags on the side.

I carry IWB with the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Holster.

P.S. You may notice the the slide may rattle more than other pistols, don't worry about it! It don't affect accuracy, and may well help with reliability.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

VIP Member
    Can't chime in with anything directly relating to your Sig, but for practice ammo, any of the major brands should work fine. Each gun is going to be different, some will like one brand better than others. You'll have to experiment to find which one works best for you.

For SD ammo, I personally like Federal HST ammo. It may be hard to find, but my CZ eats it without a problem. I've also heard good reports on the Winchester Ranger ammo. Again, you'll have to experiment to see what your gun likes.

My daily carry holster is the Tucker Gunleather "Cover Up". IWB holster with adjustable cant. It's a tuckable model with changable belt clips.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I took my new P239 on a field trip to the range last Sunday morning. Bought a box of FMJ at Academy on the way. I put something on the order of 80 rounds through it with no problems at all. It happily munched through the FMJ and the Hornady TAP JHP I use for defense.

Really really pleased with this purchase. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Don Hume, in my opinion, makes some great IWB (and OWB) holsters, both with just a single clip or with straps to go around a belt. They also sell them at an affordable price.

For something more expensive, but possibly a little bit nicer, Andrews makes some great holsters. I believe the popular IWB holster Andrews makes is called the Mac Daniel II.

Both of these companies make a holster specific to your weapon.

Lead Moderator
    When I first got my 239 I got a couple 10 rounders. Stuck one in the gun, looked at it, removed it and it's been in a draw ever since! Guess you can put me in the "don't like" column!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks for all the input guys, im super pumped about getting it, thanks for telling me to stay away from the 10 round mags. Id hate to invest 40 bucks into one and be unsatisfied. Anyone have any experiance with aluminum hogue grips with these? Ive seen several online and the p239s with aluminum grips look SHARP. Having trouble letting go of $115 for them :(

My 239 stays under the pillow beside me at night.
    It has digested about everything I have tried and I hand load. I was thinking a 10 rounder would be to carry for a back up magazine. That way it would not matter how long it was. Or maybe carry two 10 round backups. You get used to the decocker. At first it is a bit scarey like the walther 038 and pp and ppk dropping the hammer when the safety is put on.

Quote Originally Posted by nighttime View Post
    My 239 stays under the pillow beside me at night.
    It has digested about everything I have tried and I hand load. I was thinking a 10 rounder would be to carry for a back up magazine. That way it would not matter how long it was. Or maybe carry two 10 round backups. You get used to the decocker. At first it is a bit scarey like the walther 038 and pp and ppk dropping the hammer when the safety is put on.
    I just get worried all my friends will be not wanting to handle it because the levers are mixed up when it comes to traditional slide release placement.
    Im going to stay away from the 10 round'ers and just try for the best shot placement i can pull. The more and more I look at people that have the 10 rnd mags on their p239's the goofier I think they look...

For Defensive ammo, I prefer Federal HST 147gr. CCI/Speer Gold Dots 147gr come in at a close second. For practice, it should eat anything.

As stated above, ignore any slide rattle, as it is normal. Sigforum is a great resource too.

I've always wanted a 239, good choice!
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    About to pick up a Sig p239 9mm from local shop, please give me all your opinions from ammo i should use for plinking and CC and id really like your opinions on IWB holsters as thats my favorite carry.
    Also, ive seen 10 round mags for these but, are they bulky? Do the two extra rounds make it a fullsize by comparison.
    Also, Decocker lever and slide release are switched for me, is it going to take time getting used to?
    Thanks in advance!
    also, it looks like an older model to me but, is there any way to date it without paying Sig to tell u?
    I'm wondering who is doing the switch of the controls for you. While at the Store, I spoke with a Sig marketing Rep, and spoke of the controls being switched for you. (decocker, slide stop) FWIW I worked there (at Sig) and made the guns, (frames/slides etc) and found no provisions are made for the reversal of those controls. I spoke with a Sig Rep, who confirms this. I hope whoever told you he was going to reverse the controls (with the exception of the magazine catch that CAN be reversed) for you, that you inform him it can't be done. I just find there are a lot of people who will take atvantage of unsuspecting customers who may entrust their guns to them (the hacks who foul up a good handgun by using a dremel tool or worse)
    I just wanted to share my knowledge with you, and hope to avoid a possible disaster to your gun.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links