How do you train?

This is a discussion on How do you train? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs 12oz curls , no elbow brace untill after the firs 6 sets Sounds about right to me. I am a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you train?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    12oz curls , no elbow brace untill after the firs 6 sets
    Sounds about right to me.

I am a firm believer in point shooting. At 3-7 yrds I am better point shooting than using the sights. Also you must develope muscle memory, many, many draw exercises.

2. Remove Ads

I try to hit the range about once a week minimum. Each time I go I take 2 handguns with about 150 rounds for each. Weekdays are the best because nobody is at the range. I like to keep it mixed up - stand, walk, crouch, behind cover, whatever. Different distance is good to train yourself for too. I like the steel targets mainly to know right away if I have a hit or not but sometimes I use paper to check my accuracy too. Im always trying to think of different scenarios to practice when im there. Also when im at home I practice drawing from the hip. Try different shrits, overshirts, jackets, etc. Its interesting to find how different the draw can be just from what you wear.

Lots!

I shoot IDPA weekly and also get to the range most weekends...I just enjoy shooting my defensive pistols. We have a good combat range that allows movement, drawing from concealement etc.

If I don't shoot for 2 weeks I get the blues!

My short fall is dry firing...I should do that during the week when I have a chance.

75% of my training is done without ammo - dry-fire, drawing in the mirror, and plenty of other games that we come up with.

That said - we usually shoot twice a week - though not always pistols and it's not always training. Have been thinking of IDPA - but not sure of the cost.

I dry fire for 15-20 minutes daily and shoot about 3-4 times a week. I also shoot IDPA, so I mostly work on drills to improve in IDPA (currently a CDP-SS, but hopefully I'll make expert this year). I feel practicing for practical pistol matches, be it IDPA or USPSA, you work on the basic skills that one would also be required to use in a self defense situation, ie draw and fire, reloading, multiple targets, moving targets, moving and shooting, strong hand/weak hand shooting, etc. I also make it a point to get at least a weeks worth of training from a reputable school per year.

I also agree that IDPA is good practice. If I were going to have a shoot out with someone, I wouldn't want it to be with an IDPA shooter! Lots of dry fire is good and as much range time as possible.

Once or twice every other month. More frequently, recently.

Generally, I shoot 350-500 rounds out of my primary practice weapon or the one I'm currently breaking in. Right now, it's a CZ P-01 9mm for possible daily carry duty. At least a couple magazines single-hand off-hand, and single/strong-hand. At least a dozen rounds each hand manipulating the controls one-handed. At least a couple magazines of single-handed magazine swap.

Also, with the carry piece, I shoot from concealment/draw, single-hand off-/strong-hand.

Half the shooting is directed at straight targeting skills (aim). The other half generally is guided toward scenarios in the head: ie, what would I do if ... and then play the scene through, verbal commands (silently) included.

Each range session generally wraps by 10mins or so thinking about what was learned, the relevant laws or situations I was focusing on (ie, property defense, carjacking, home intrusion).

Each year, I pick up another book or two about relevant law, defense skills, tactics or review of real-life situations. Good fill-in material for whatever I'm missing and not thinking to incorporate.

While I'm winging it, a bit, it results in a fairly good coverage across a year's time. Not every range session is like this, but most are.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links