How do you train?

How do you train?

This is a discussion on How do you train? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried in the service (AF Security Police) every day, as a flight sergeant/shift commander (small base only one officer and he was the squadron ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you train?

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

How do you train?

I carried in the service (AF Security Police) every day, as a flight sergeant/shift commander (small base only one officer and he was the squadron Commander) instead of giving my people an extra day off, during the work cycle.

I rotated them through the Fire Arms Training Simulator (FATS).I tried to get everyone through at least once per work cycle. One it kept the troops interested and helped enhance training. That and considering the world situation it gave me extra bodies to throw at a problem if one developed.

Training being what it is very few people do enough of it. How do you train your self in the use of your fire arm?
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

we have a 'fats' that we use. the best training is to shoot live ammo. the 'fats' is just like a video game. it is not real. the best training is live ammo and walk thru type training with real guns. 'fats' training is a small part of your training (10%). you got to hear the bang, smell the powder, have gun control, etc... to have good training. "fats" is a video game.

Assistant Administrator
    Plenty of dry fire to maintain muscle memory and make draw sufficiently fluid and reliable.

All the live fire I can manage with range visits. Would like to take some advanced tac' type courses but getting unlikely at my age and with time/travel/fiscal constraints.

A definite trend for training self now is movement - much less of this ''stand and perforate the paper'' - much better is engage and move and engage again etc - much more dynamic - has to be IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Dynamic training. shoot n' move, prone and other positions. I try to mix it up, engage diffrence size targets at diffrent distances
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

los
    I visit the Range twice a Month. Practice quick pocket draw with my Seecamp LWS32 and fire single hand using point shooting technique at target placed at 8ft.

I do the same with my Kimber Ultra Carry 45acp drawn from my OWB holster, but utilize two handed grip.

My opinion in CQB, Self-Defense, SHTF, have to discharge your firearm type scenario,.... is that taking time to use firearm sights for to pull focus and establish area of shot infliction on target (perp) could cost you your life.

Just my pair of copper Lincolns.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I make a trip to the range at least twice a month and work on a varity of things, the biggest one is Movement. Move then shoot (GET OFF THE X) and movement during reloads and failures. I include failures during my time at the range with orange dummy rounds in all my mags. Also work on different shooting postions (kneeling sitting etc), multipal targets at various distances and shooting from cover and shooting to cover. I work at home with dry fire practice. Draw from holster, sight alingment, trigger control and reloads to include tac reloads. I try to do this at least twice a week.

VIP Member
    I do lots of dry-firing; constant holster drills; weak and strong-hand only drills; and pretty much what Rocky said too.

I am starting to do two-gun transitions too (shotgun to handgun).

Since I'm a LEO, I do Simunition scenarios too and quarterly qualifications.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Dry firing at home, reading books by Ayoob and others (may not count as training other than mental training). Since the range is about 30 minutes away I only go about every 4-6 weeks. I wish they'd open a range in the town where I live, or one closer.

I'm considering taking a tactical defense course within the next 12 months or so to increase my skills.

I try to shoot at least 3 times per month. At a minium 100 rds from my carry weapon each range visit. Different ranges, positions. Sitting, over tables etc.

I'm starting to do more dry fire practice at home as well.

I work on pure shooting skill by doing a combination of dry-fire and flat-range work. (About a 3:1 ratio) Flat range sessions generally consist of shooting a series of standards which emphasize speed and accuracy equally.
    Last edited by Blackhawk6; July 25th, 2006 at 08:16 PM.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    12oz curls , no elbow brace untill after the firs 6 sets
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I hope this isn't considered a thread hijack because it is a training issue.

How much do you live fire with your weak hand. The chances of you dominant hand being incapacitated are high for an infinite amount of reasons.

Should you train 50/50? Left and right? I know I shirk weak side traing at the range way too much. I would like to hear opinions from you guys who have a lot more experience than I.

Jay Gatsby,

Shooting with my non-dominant hand (I refuse to refer to any part of my body as weak ) comprises 10% (1 drill of the 10 I shoot regularly) of my practice.

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    Not nearly enough. I have really cut back on my range budget, shooting little and holding onto what little ammo I've bought lately. Money is tight at the moment and I really havn't had the extra change to invest in much range time. Normally I visit a indoor fireing range in South Baton Rouge. There I shoot just basic standng or supported pistol or rifle stances. No 'tactical' move and shoot type stuff. I miss the days I had the money to go out every other week and fire at the nearby outdoor range. Living in the city sucks sometimes.

VIP Member
    Dry practice when the weather is foul. Other times (usually 3-4 a week) I go outside & shoot. I'm lucky enough to live where I can shoot whenever the urge hits. I built a target range that I use for pistol as well as rifle (200 yards). It is set up not only for bench but have some steel poppers for shoot & move style as well.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links