Anyone you know, you wish didn't carry? - Page 3

Anyone you know, you wish didn't carry?

This is a discussion on Anyone you know, you wish didn't carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend that loves guns. He has quite a collection in fact and is very safe in the field or on the range. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    Member Array HiWayMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    88
    I have a friend that loves guns. He has quite a collection in fact and is very safe in the field or on the range. However, he is responsible enough to realize that he is not responsible enough to CCW. He realizes that he has a temper and likes to drink to excess and that neither of these things mixes with 24hr carry. I applaude him for realizing this, and that is why he is still my friend. Otherwise he would be my perfect canidate for those who shouldn't carry.


  2. #32
    Member Array absit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by cszy67
    * You can decide if I am safe or unsafe.
    * You can decide if I am smart or stupid.
    * You have already decided that your life is somehow more valuable than mine.
    * You have decreed that only trained people have a right to defend themselves.
    * You proclaim that only those who practice and train to your standards are worthy of self-defense.
    Safe and unsafe aren't relative terms, you either are or you aren't, by all standards.

    Stupid is a relative term, but it's generally understood among the firearms community. If you show off your gun, start confrontations, etc, these can be deemed "stupid". There's no interpretation from me here. You either do dumb things or you don't. What if the person has a bad temper, likes to drink, uses mind-altering substances, or just plain makes bad choices? "Bad choices" may be a relative term to you, but it's not to common sense.

    If I were the king of the planet, yes I would decree only trained people can carry weapons. Do you want someone that doesn't know how their safety works carrying a gun? Do you want someone that doesn't understand how their firearm works carrying? Do you want them carrying next to you, or your child, or your spouse when they think the safety means they can press the trigger all day and it won't go off? Do you want them to think they're superman and to take a shot at a BG while you or your family is next to them?

    And I have not decided your life is worth less than mine. I have however decided what exactly mine is worth, and know how far I will go to defend it. That's the general idea behind self defense.

    At the end of the day, you're either safe or you're not. If you're not safe, you shouldn't carry, period. That's my final reply on the subject.

  3. #33
    Ex Member Array cszy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    23
    Note - the computer has limited ability to reveal a persons true attitude. Although my post may appear somewhat hostile and directed towards an individual - it is neither. I enjoy heated debates and hearing different opinions - I hope you do also.

    Quote Originally Posted by absit
    Safe and unsafe aren't relative terms, you either are or you aren't, by all standards..
    I disagree 100% - safe and unsafe are in fact subjective and relative terms. Most would consider riding a Harley on Sunday afternoon around town relatively safe - I do not. After having raced around the coutry for a few years I consider racing a superbike at 170mph on a racetrack with all the associated safety gear much safer. I doubt many Harley riders would agree with me.

    Each and every one of us rank activities safe/unsafe based upon our personal experiences and education. You and I both are quite confident in our ability to safely carry a firearm for protection. Others may not consider what we do as safe based upon their subjective analysis.

    Quote Originally Posted by absit
    Stupid is a relative term, but it's generally understood among the firearms community. If you show off your gun, start confrontations, etc, these can be deemed "stupid". There's no interpretation from me here. You either do dumb things or you don't. What if the person has a bad temper, likes to drink, uses mind-altering substances, or just plain makes bad choices? "Bad choices" may be a relative term to you, but it's not to common sense.
    To heck with *the firearms community* and such. Most of the people in *the firearms community* are a bunch of talkers - not movers and shakers. These people talk the talk but dare not walk the walk. They pay their annual dues and sport their NRA life member caps, walk around at gun shows and talk about time gone past. Most don't have the balls to get out there and make things happen. They cower in the face of opposition and turn tale. I consider most information or analysis from the *firearms community* to be worthless.

    If someone has a bad habit of showing their firearm or starting confrontations...nature will take care of this person. In an abstract sort of way, confrontations such as these are better for our society as a whole. We all do dumb things on occasion - not a single one of us are without error. I have made mistakes and I have learned from them. I would suspect that everyone here has in fact made some type of mistake in their life.

    I don't think any of us have the right to strip another man of his ability to protect himself or his family because he has, or continues, to make mistakes. I will go out on a limb here and state that I do not feel any government has the right to prohibit a man from protecting himself or his family. Wow...so I think that criminals should have the right to keep and bear arms too...yep, I sure do.

    We all know that if a convict desires a firearm they are only minutes away from owning one - let's not fool ourselves into thinking that prohibiting felons from owning firearms makes us any safer. You are a fool to believe that. If an active convict wants to rob a store, they will steal a gun, arrange for a straw purchase, etc. They WILL have a firearm if they desire one.

    Now fast forward a decade or so - said convict survives and learns from his *mistakes* and starts a family. Still lives in a relatively dangerous section of town but has children, and a wife, and wants to protect them...what is he to do? His only choice is to commit another crime an unlawfully own a firearm. Who are we to say that he no longer has the right to protect his family? Who are we to look into the eyes of an innocent child who has done no wrong and tell them that they do not deserve the same level of protection that another child can get simply because their father made mistakes some time ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by absit
    If I were the king of the planet, yes I would decree only trained people can carry weapons. Do you want someone that doesn't know how their safety works carrying a gun? Do you want someone that doesn't understand how their firearm works carrying? Do you want them carrying next to you, or your child, or your spouse when they think the safety means they can press the trigger all day and it won't go off? Do you want them to think they're superman and to take a shot at a BG while you or your family is next to them?
    Yes, if those people feel the need to carry a firearm I want them to carry. If I feel they are unsafe it is my duty as a husband and father to keep my family safe - keep them away from the other person, etc. But even though I *feel* this other person is unsafe...that same person should still be permitted to carry.

    Regarding the superman shooting...are you referring to the *well trained* LEO that shot another LEO close to here in Norfolk, VA a few weeks ago? Shot him in the back a few times and killed him? Relative to your standards, that shooter was well trained, not stupid, etc. What happened???

    Quote Originally Posted by absit
    And I have not decided your life is worth less than mine. I have however decided what exactly mine is worth, and know how far I will go to defend it. That's the general idea behind self defense.
    Then allow others to exercise their right to defend theirs regardless of how you view them.

  4. #34
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    oO( is it just me or is this thread going south fast ? )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  5. #35
    VIP Member
    Array Team American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,826
    I appreciate the exchange of opinions without personal attacks, but we do seem to be getting into a debate of philosophy here...as Chris mentioned, lets keep the heat turned down
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

    "They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

  6. #36
    Member Array absit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    110
    Taken to PM, sorry for the disturbance guys.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Array Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    822
    Hell, I don't care who carries or not. I'm not all that worried about who is carrying, I'm just worried that I'll be able to carry.

    Bad people, with or without a permit, will do bad things. Good people, with or without a permit, should be able to ensure that bad things don't get too bad.

    I've been on the boards for awhile, and I've been banned from many also. Because I speak my mind and what I feel.

    On this topic, the main word is "wish". Or "Feel". We are just the same as the sheeple, we "feel" or have some type of emotion and then pass that on as "opinion" to feed to people listening.

    Me personally, I don't care who is aremed. A mass murderer, the druggie next door, etc. All I care about is that I am able to be armed and to meet force with force if they choose to use it. And if they are targeted, no matter what they have done, to do the same in self defense.

    *sigh*... I know that I'm not going to make any friends, I don't care if I make any enemies. I just think very simplistic (as shown by my spelling).

    Sometimes I thought that gun owners were our enemy, because of the double standands that they would apply, now I don't think it, I know it.

    I guess that I'm just a romantic. You know, one of those that read about our past and dream about it. And then come back to this day and age, and well, stuff is said and happens.

    Who don't I want to carry, only those that don't wish to carry. Other than that, even a felon by the feds, or whatever, they should carry. As should those that aren't felons or whatever. It even's out the field and I'm sure that if the Right to fight back with whatever is needed, will reduces your likelyhood of having to do so.

    Wayne

  8. #38
    Member Array ENSANE1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    199
    Sorry guys, I never meant to come across as judging whether or not someone should be able to carry. I believe everyone should have the right to protect themselves and their families. The original thread I posted, I was only trying to convey, my concern over some people's capacity, of mind to carry 24/7. I'm not talking about rights. This can all be summed up by one of our moderators signature's, P95Carry. Just because you own a piano, that doesn't make you a musician.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

    Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

    NRA Member

  9. #39
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coopersville
    Posts
    11,259
    cszy67,

    You do raise some interesting questions and a number of good points.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

  10. #40
    Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    I have a group of friends I get together with for a weekend in the woods every year. We have been doing this for 25 years.

    Recently, some of us have gotten together at other times just to go shooting.

    We all got emails from one of our friends who said something like, 'well, I hope you boys get this out of your system this weekend. Just don't start bringing guns to the annual outting.'

    She was shocked when we informed her that for 25 years we have been heavily armed at this particular get together.




    Since then, she has been trying to get us to see 'reason'....you know, the old guns are dangerous bit.

    We have tried everything, pointing out how the police can't be there when you are attacked, etc. I've even tried to point out that since she has never seen one of our guns, it just shows that we are not nutjob wacko's but responsible people.

    When we arrive at the cabins, we quietly unload and put the guns away since the weekend is filled with alcohol. On the day of departure, we quietly load and conceal.

    She has appeared to accept the fact that we carry and she stated that she trusts us but she can't resist her attempts to 'bring us into the light'.

    Sometimes the best you can hope for is a peaceful 'agreement to disagree'. She still attends the annual weekend however.

    Donít you just love their belief that it is their right to push their belief system on you all the time, but heaven forbid if you returned the favour! I finally had to be short with my mom, about her anti-gun language, she complained about me talking openly about shooting and I told her that I was sick to death of her and my family trying to make me feel bad about my hobby.

  11. #41
    Member Array TCB in TN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Middle, TN
    Posts
    39

    The only people that carry that worry me

    are the criminals. I have known a few people that I felt were less than responsible, but in a free society (which I wish we were), they have the right until their lack or responsibility infinges upon some one elses rights. I do think that we need to be very careful about how we address issues like this. If we (those of us in the CCW community) are not for unfettered access to the RKBA then how can we argue that we should be allow to have the RKBA ourselves? We all gripe because the elites have body guards with full autos while we are not allowed, and yet we can all to quickly gain the same elitest mentality. I say let every man carry, let everyman have the freedom to use all of their rights until they stepped over the line and then they should lose their rights, and suffer the consequences of their actions.
    There are only 2 people I trust in this world and you ain't one of'em!

  12. #42
    Senior Member Array Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    822
    I just thought of something, we have to be careful on how we use words.

    When we say, criminal, we need to be specific. We are all criminals, everyday. Think about it, everyday every person does a criminal act like driving too fast, too slow, improper use of equipment (car), even spitting on the sidewalk (don't laugh, it is a criminal offense in some areas/states).

    Will billions of laws, both federal, state and local (okay, so I pulled "billions" out of thin air but I wouldn't doubt that it's close), no one can obey every law, not even the law (as has been shown numerous times).

    As to the original post and the clarification that was given: Yes, there are some that I am leery about carrying but that is the price we pay for freedom.

    Wayne

  13. #43
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,293

    At every CCW renewal class I see a few...

    people who make me wonder and even worry!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. (Open carry) "Help, Officer, he brandished his weapon at me!"..."No i didn't!!"
    By RR9501 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: October 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
  2. Why didn't I think of this?
    By HKinNY in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
  3. I didn't carry today at all
    By TN_Mike in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: April 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM
  4. I didn't get made, didn't get pulled over, didn't have a ND..........
    By Chorizo in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: February 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors