Anyone you know, you wish didn't carry?

This is a discussion on Anyone you know, you wish didn't carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought this was a great question, posted in another thread. The original thread, was posted on the topic, basically who do you know who ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone you know, you wish didn't carry?

I thought this was a great question, posted in another thread. The original thread, was posted on the topic, basically who do you know who carries? To which member, APACHON, replied who do you know, that you wished didn't carry? I thought this was a great point

I have posted, a few times about an idiot I work with, who has no business carrying a gun, in my opinion. I work in a small automotive shop, 3 out of the 4 of us who work there have, our CCW, the before mentioned "moron" one of them. He never carries concealed, he wants it on his hip for all to see, he just likes the "attention". Now the shop, is located in NC, which is an open carry state, so why waste your time, aquiring a CCW if you're not ever going to carry concealed, this goofball, carried on his hip for 2 years before, getting his CCW, so I say why did he waste the time? My answer, "power-trip"!!! He has had his permit, for a little over a year, and has pulled his weapon, on 2 people I know of and in both situations, had he shot, he'd be in prison. Neither situation warranted, him, pulling his weapon, no physical threat, neither person he pulled on, was armed etc..........Like I said, he's on a power trip, It's a wonder, he hasn't been charged with brandishing, along with other things. People like him, have no business, carrying a firearm, it gives those of us, who take, CCW seriously, a bad name. Anyone out there know an idiot like this????
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Assistant Administrator
    I HATE these few macho AH's - the ones who in Freudian terms have some problem over their endowment!

I do tho know one or two who are way below this dufus you describe but who are in effect just careless, casual not overly responsible gun owners, who happen to carry.

Problem is based from my perception mostly around poor or non existent safety application - casual if you will. This concerns me because not only could they hurt themselves but more importantly someone else.

These are the folks who have finger on trigger almost all times they hold a gun - the ones also who will wave a gun while talking about it (enthusiastically) easily covering people with the muzzle.

I try to educate these few - and in one or two cases successfully, tho initially they treat me as some paranoid idiot until they really think it thru.

The ''power trip'' nuts - hate them to all hell - and put them in the same group I see at ranges sometimes where they'll turn up with full BDU's and maybe too even NBC suits LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used to know stupid people like that, but they didn't have a carry permit. As far as I know, they never pulled their guns on people, though. Despite that, I regarded it as a tragedy that the legal system never caught up with them, because they were basically rotten.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I think my mom and sister aren't that fond of the idea, but they put up with it. It allieveated some of my mom's concerns when I explained MY rules for carrying.

I have a two friends that are freaked out about it, and I sort of lied about my rules. But the majority of my friends doesn't care and know that I'm not going to draw and shoot anyone.

The weirdest thing I have learned about myself since I've been carrying is I have become nicer. I'm guessing because I realize I owe it to ALL other gun owners in the country to be responsible.
    Last edited by Dakotaranger; June 16th, 2006 at 01:36 AM.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger
    The weirdest thing I have learned about myself since I've been carrying is I have become nicer. I'm guessing because I realize I owe it to ALL other gun owners in the country to be responsible.
    Ah, you have realized why irresponsible gun-owners were few and far between, even as late as 1900. Stupidity used to bring swift death or an agonizing lesson. Pity. The "good ol' days" were truly better, in that respect.

I have a friend who is terrified of guns

I have a group of friends I get together with for a weekend in the woods every year. We have been doing this for 25 years.

Recently, some of us have gotten together at other times just to go shooting.

We all got emails from one of our friends who said something like, 'well, I hope you boys get this out of your system this weekend. Just don't start bringing guns to the annual outting.'

She was shocked when we informed her that for 25 years we have been heavily armed at this particular get together.

Since then, she has been trying to get us to see 'reason'....you know, the old guns are dangerous bit.

We have tried everything, pointing out how the police can't be there when you are attacked, etc. I've even tried to point out that since she has never seen one of our guns, it just shows that we are not nutjob wacko's but responsible people.

When we arrive at the cabins, we quietly unload and put the guns away since the weekend is filled with alcohol. On the day of departure, we quietly load and conceal.

She has appeared to accept the fact that we carry and she stated that she trusts us but she can't resist her attempts to 'bring us into the light'.

Sometimes the best you can hope for is a peaceful 'agreement to disagree'. She still attends the annual weekend however.

I've given numerous CCH classes out here, and there have been a few who passed, albeit marginally, but passed...

Well, there's a guy I work with who used to be a cop in L.A. (during the late 60's). So, he should know better. Well, he has his carry permit and he told me that he was in a restaurant with his wife and he was sitting at a table so he could see the door (common sense in my book). He tells me that a group of teenagers came into the restaurant and sat down at a table near close to him. He said that they were making a lot of noise and horsing around and he knew they were "up to no good". So he leans forward so his jacket falls open and they see his gun. Well, they all got up and left.

I looked at him with a blank face because I couldn't believe he'd do something like that. That's just a power trip right there. If someone ever sees my gun it'll be the business end. I was disappointed because I didn't think he'd be such an idiot with his carry gun.

Hazarding a guess here;

That's probably just the old LA cop in him. I'd bet he would not have done that if he perceived a "serious" threat, and with his background, odds are he would not needlessly draw and brandish.

He'd probably be an asset in spite of himself, in a SHTF Luby's type of situation.

But that's just an opinion and I could be wrong...
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    There will always be Fools and Rumors of Fools.

Jungle Work

Senior Moderator
    In Florida, the practical portion of the CCW class consists of being able to, in an unlimited amount of time, load your firearm, point it generally in the direction of downrange, discharge said firearm and then make it safe without hurting yourself.

I was at the range last week when this chap who was taking the class was doing his practical portion in a lane near to me. He appeared very, very nervous, and took quite some time to get his revolver loaded and pointed downrange. He seemed uneasy enough that I ceased fire and stepped off my booth (two down from him, but I was the closest shooter) to give him more breathing room.

Out of the 6 shots he fired at ~5 yards, I think he hit the paper of the silhouette target once.

Not meaning to rag on the guy, but there is no way he should be carrying until he gets some instruction under his belt.

But he passed the practical, so he will probably have his license shortly.

Matt

I have an acquaintance that likes to display his weapon by showing it to anyone who cares to look. He usually aquires a new "toy" (IMHO that is the way that he treats it) every month ot two and makes a big deal of attracting attention to himself with the weapon carelessly displayed in a group of people. I have talked to him but my words have fallen on deaf ears. Then one day I heard that he had been shot in a drive by. When the facts came to light he had negligently shot himself in the leg; not once but twice. Have not seen much of him since then. And I like it this way.

I took my classesin Collier Co. Fl. through the sheriffs dept. The classes were free except you had to furnish your own ammo. The man teaching the class was a 35 year department veteran, and very pro gun. We had 16 hours class room and 2 weekends, morning sessions, to qualify, with one range officer per two students. If yo didn't know how to handle or shoot a firearm before you started, you did when were finished.
    We had one woman who stated at the first class that she was afraid of guns and wanted to get over that. At the last range session she was keeping all her shots in the black. But then we were shooting a minimum of 200 rounds a day. I was very lucky to go to those classes and want to thank the Collier Co. Sheriffs Dept. for providing them for the citizens.

My major disappointment with Mississippi' CCW is that it requires no classes of any kind. If you pass the background check you are issued a CCW.

Springfield XD Service 9MM
    Sig Mosquito w/Red Dot
    Taurus 22 Auto Pocket Pistol
    S&W Chief's Special
    Remington 870
    Enfield Mark III
    SA Black Stainless PX9152L
    Browning BPS 12 ga Upland Special

the ones who in Freudian terms have some problem over their endowment!
    When that happens, I CCW:

Then one day I heard that he had been shot in a drive by. When the facts came to light he had negligently shot himself in the leg; not once but twice.
    TWICE!

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links