Dispelling a myth

This is a discussion on Dispelling a myth within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Danged if I can remember a thread link from last year - where I tackled the subject of the ''Macho CCW'' - no matter. One ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dispelling a myth

Assistant Administrator

Dispelling a myth

Danged if I can remember a thread link from last year - where I tackled the subject of the ''Macho CCW'' - no matter.

One or two recent threads tho have raised this aspect again and I just want to impress on all new and pending CCW folks - the importance of being very much ''non-macho''.

I promote responsible CCW at every opportunity but at the same time want always to stress the fact that this is not a macho deal at all. Yes, it is a right - yes it is wise and sensible - but it most certainly is NOT an ego booster nor should it be.

I think it was Ensane today who posted about an idiot who was the personification of the ''macho'' carry guy. The sort we least want in our ranks, as I prefer to promote responsibility and low-key aspects. I want the anti's to see law abiding folks as just that - law abiding and no threat.

This is pretty much preaching to the choir but I feel is periodically worthy of a reminder. We take responsibility for our own protection and of those close to us - but it is by default almost an awesome responsibility in and of itself.

Not to overstate the case but anyone who carries has the power of life and death on their hip - even if that sounds melodramatic!

Be safe, stay safe and be responsible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

P95 I would love to shake your hand, I hate the wanna be LEO's, not good and they need to grow up. Carrying a weapon, is a huge responsibility and should be treated as such, which most of us on this site do. But, sometimes, you get a bad apple, that gives, we in the carrying community, a black eye.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

I really think for most of us on this board anyway, having a concealed weapon makes us more even tempered. I know for me I ignore things now I may have argued over in the past. It is not worth it. Let it go.

Administrator
    A worthy reminder Chris.
    Not too many of those types on our forum.
    Thank our lucky stars on that.
    There are some on the other gun boards though & usually they turn out to be the worst qualified of the defensive gun carry folks. An overcompensation for poor defensive shooting skills I think.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by country85
    I really think for most of us on this board anyway, having a concealed weapon makes us more even tempered. I know for me I ignore things now I may have argued over in the past. It is not worth it. Let it go.
    Very well put country85....

Packing heat is a big responsibility

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

+1 Chris and Country85

I even drive more slowly now that I carry. Weird, huh? Not that I was ever living on the edge :) but it's certainly had a mellowing effect.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Packing should make us almost painfully respectful and polite. Part of a whole outlook on personal defense in my book is to stay "under the radar" as much as possible. Be the unnoticed one who dosn't stand out for any reason. Just another average Joe who, if contact is made, just seems to be a nice polite person but nothing unusual. Threaten me or mine and that illusion can change, rapidly, however.

I wish this was hammered into all applicants heads. It certainly helps when you hear the expression "You carry? But you're such a nice guy!" That's only happened once as a close friend found out, I don't exactly let people know. But my point to him was, exactly, it's nice polite respectful folks who usually carry. Not uber whacko, macho movie wanna be's.

Eric

That, a few more years and a family, all helped me settle down.
    I guess it's best called responsability.

OD*
    +1, Chris.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    An occasional reminder of important things is always welcome.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

+1 Well put

VIP Member
    Robert Heinlein, the late science fiction writer, put it simply, "An armed society is a polite society." Part of what makes us polite, respectful, and even tempered is the responsibility that we bear by having a weapon on our person. Another part of what causes us to be that way is the realization that any person we come in contact with could be carrying as well. Sheeple never see this and sometimes engage in behavior that we find stupid and repugnant. They think that they are safe and that the state (meaning national, state, and local governments) is there to protect them. Then they are surprised for a few seconds when they overstep the bounds of propriety and someone who knows the score responses with force.

Chris, good thread and a very good reminder. Something that I work on not just because I carry, but also because it is sensible it: to quit fighting battles that aren't worth winning. Like Country85 said:

I know for me I ignore things now I may have argued over in the past. It is not worth it. Let it go.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Wisdom and Peace comes with age.

The older we get the more mellow we become.

and so on.

Maybee not everyone - but most of us.

Safety; Safety; Safety. First, Last and Always. There is absolutely no room for ego. When I carry, which is when I am awake, I do not want the world looking at me and my arms. I wish to appear so "normal" as to attract the attention of no one, no way, no how.

The 1st time I drove to the range with my handgun next to me, I gave more space between cars, drove slower, and generally had a more relaxed attitude behind the wheel.

I HAD been one to get a small case of road rage every now and again. With a deadly weapon next to me, I knew I could not let my temper or furstration come into play. Its not worth it and its my responsibility to keep a level head.

This is when I realized how CC'ing would be. I can't be a superhero or a tough guy. I can't get caught up in some BS like a bar fight or random shouting match with another driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links