Gun shy friends?

This is a discussion on Gun shy friends? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is while I will be carrying concealed as soon as I can. Firstly, I currently OC until my CHP comes in, and because my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun shy friends?

Gun shy friends?

This is while I will be carrying concealed as soon as I can.

Firstly, I currently OC until my CHP comes in, and because my friends are how they are, most of the time, my gun is left in my car.

Ok, so pretty much all of my friends enjoy guns, like to shoot on occasion and support the 2A. However, I talked with a few of my friends recently about my CHP, and one said "Why carry at all, you made it 21 years without carrying, why start now?" I merely stated that I felt better carrying, and that I will not let myself be a victim of violent crime.

I talked with another friend later about what had been said and he said "well I don't see why you would carry all the time, maybe if you were going downtown (rougher area of town) for an extended period of time." This time I just shrugged.

1. "You made it 21 years without carrying, why start now?"
    What?! I also could have not worn my seat belt for 21 years and been fine, and I know if I did that he'd have been yelling at me for being so naive. Also, so what if I made it this long without it? Is that going to stop 'John Doe' from trying to cause me physical pain or worse? Well all know the answer: NO.

2. "well I don't see why you would carry all the time, maybe if you were going downtown (rougher area of town) for an extended period of time." Excuse me? Hello, modern transportation! Anyone can get to any part of town they so please, and if their intent is harm, they WILL get where they want to go. Crime doesn't stop because it's a "nice area of town".

I may not live in the best of neighborhoods but it's still considered 'safe' by most residents and we had a shooting at the complex just in front of my complex in the middle of the day, the guy was shooting at the apartments because of some sort of domestic dispute mixed with hard drugs. That plus the armed robberies I hear about all the time from neighbors and my dispatcher friends. Most don't even make the news. The point is, no matter where you live, violent crimes CAN and most likely WILL happen at some point. Why NOT be prepared? Maybe being an Eagle Scout just made me want to be prepared for every situation

I guess that group of friends are just sheeple that cannot deal with me carrying on a regular basis despite my firearms training ...sad to realize that my friends do not recognize the need to carry. I guess it's not for everyone, I just hope no one finds out the hard way.

All of that being said, I will continue to carry, and once I can, I will carry concealed. I will also take special care to not mention to those friends I am carrying. Man I need more CC/OC friends :)
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Just throwing my opinion out there. Im not going to flame you or anything, so here is my take.

I dont see why you would leave the gun in the car because of your "friends" opinions. Unless its their HOUSE you are going into, what they say has nothing to do with the price of tea in china so to speak (basically it should mean anything to you, it is YOUR SAFETY)

I personally OC about 90-95% of the time. I do not care what people think about it, as it is MY CHOICE and its most comfortable for me. Its like saying that you wont go to the movies or something with your friends because you dont like the way one of them got their hair cut...

Just carry on, business as usual. Once you conceal carry, they will still know you carry and its not going to change things for the exception that they will no longer see it. Out of sight out of mind only goes so far, I found that out. Out of sight goes over GREAT with the general public, but not with people that KNOW you carry all the time.

Either way, +1 to you for carrying and being concerned with your own safety. Always Carry and Stay Safe -

~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

All my friends actually started carrying their own guns within 6 months of finding out I carried concealed and why.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Yeah, all my friends took to it rather well, they actually all started carrying and getting interested in guns. Especially when I started selling them to them, hehehe!
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

My friends don't dictate if I carry, what I carry, or when I carry. IMO, they need to grow up.

Secondly, bad things happen to good people in good neighborhoods.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I know what you mean about people liking to shoot guns, but don't feel you need to carry. There's a couple that my fiance and I are friends with. The guy likes to hunt, and likes to shoot guns. He even wants to go shooting with my sometime soon. But mentioning OC to them and they are completely against it. The funny thing is, they actually live in..well not the worst part of town...a part of town that I would love to carry in any time I go.

Being that I live in WI, OC is not something people are used to. Only last summer did the OC movement start, and even with all the media coverage of OC picnics, people still aren't aware or just don't understand why you would carry. Hopefully we'll get CC in a year, and I can carry anywhere and the people I'm with won't have to know.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    This is while I will be carrying concealed as soon as I can.

Firstly, I currently OC until my CHP comes in, and because my friends are how they are, most of the time, my gun is left in my car.
    That's a very poor reason to go unarmed if you feel the need to be armed. You're letting your "friends" decide your level of self-protection, much like the antis want to do. Stand your ground and stand up for your rights. If they are truly your friends, they will understand your wish to be armed.

Ok, so pretty much all of my friends enjoy guns, like to shoot on occasion and support the 2A. However, I talked with a few of my friends recently about my CHP, and one said "Why carry at all, you made it 21 years without carrying, why start now?" I merely stated that I felt better carrying, and that I will not let myself be a victim of violent crime.
    How can they support 2A and not support your decision to carry?

I may not live in the best of neighborhoods but it's still considered 'safe' by most residents and we had a shooting at the complex just in front of my complex in the middle of the day,
    I lived in a nice, established surburban neighborhood - middle-to-upper income, mostly older couples. UNTIL - the guy next door - NEXT DOOR - decided to grow some weed in the back yard, got busted, and ended up being gunned down by a Deputy Sheriff. Now, if I'm awake, I carry.

As more and more mess hits the blades in more and more unexpected places, I become less and less concerned about what anyone thinks about me packing a handgun.

Carry in Peace, bro.

Continue to carry and show your friends that you are mature and responsible with your firearm. Eventually they will warm up to the concept.

I understand the mentality of people in Lynchburg, I was born and raised there. Many people own firearms and hunt. But like you said, crime is mostly isolated to a small area, and for the most part, it's a very safe place to live. Because of this, some people don't see the need to carry a firearm for protection.

You probably didn't take a poll or ask your friends to vote on your decision to carry, so don't let your friends have a say in your decision making process.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Most have already said it, DO NOT LET OTHERS DECIDE FOR YOU. Your old enough to understand why you need your weapon. If they dont like it, time for new friends.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

>>1. "You made it 21 years without carrying, why start now?"

21 years ago the crime rates were not as bad, in fact 42 years ago the rates were even less and 63 years ago more so that the prior two.

Crime is rising and that is a fact. The moral fortitude of most people today verges on the realm of heathen to almost absolute tribal barbarian. We are living in days that man has lost his natural concern for his fellow man. Thanks to reality TV people now stand and watch as a gang of thugs kick and beat a person to death instead of doing something about it.

We truly live in a day where evil does prevail and it those of us who choose to be the "sheepdog" who will not stand by any more. Either we are part of the problem (sheeple) or we are part of the solution (sheepdog)

Here is an article I wrote that kind of falls within these lines
    Crisis Meltdown Greece - Sheep, Sheepdogs, and Wolves

The wolves are out there, we need to decide what we will be... sheeple or sheepdogs. The wolves will be out there and you will have to learn how to contend with them either way you look at it.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Yeah, all my friends took to it rather well, they actually all started carrying and getting interested in guns. Especially when I started selling them to them, hehehe!
    I've done the same thing. Step 1.)Start CCing yourself Step 2.)Get your friends interested Step 3.)Sell them all of the guns from the back of your safe
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

This is a family story but still relevant I think. My brother got quite the lecture from my father when he started carrying. He thought it was an aggressive action, wanted to be macho, etc.

A year or more later I also started carrying, and speaking with my father now, he sings a different tune. He's looking into getting a new handgun, primarily a defensive style model. He was excited to talk to me about my new purchase. I've never asked him why the treatment was so different, but I feel that over time knowing people that do carry make you start thinking about how secure you are. Watching the news every night makes you think, and one thought is probably going to be about defensive carry if you know someone that does.

Sometimes it only takes a nudge for people to start remembering that they have the right and responsibility to defend themselves.
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

It's the things YOU do (i.e. carry either OC or Concealed), that YOU don't have to do, that determine the difference when it's too late to do anything else (i.e. a self defense situation)!!! Your friends can not live YOUR LIFE for YOU...they must live their own lives and YOU must live YOUR LIFE... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Make them a promise that if things were to go really bad while you are out with them, you will not defend them, only yourself. That should make them feel better and besides, you are only responsible for yourself. People just have a different level of forethought and yours just happens to go beyond what theirs does. Don't try to convince anyone of the way that you think ahead. But don't ever back down on something that you feel could possibly either save your life or at least give you a better chance. Carry on!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Don't let peer pressure bend your mind. Be confident (but tactful) in what you do. Keep your friends unless situations dictate otherwise...and learn to tell them less as you continue to grow toward your own ideals and goals while they themselves continue on their own paths.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    My friends don't dictate if I carry, what I carry, or when I carry. IMO, they need to grow up.

Secondly, bad things happen to good people in good neighborhoods.
    More good thoughts IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links