The Wait Begins...

The Wait Begins...

This is a discussion on The Wait Begins... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long time lurker of this forum. The new VA legislation finally motivated me to apply for my CC permit, and hopefully it arrives before July ...

Thread: The Wait Begins...

The Wait Begins...

Long time lurker of this forum. The new VA legislation finally motivated me to apply for my CC permit, and hopefully it arrives before July 1st. Got all of my paperwork dropped off to the Loudoun County courthouse last Monday (June 14th).

Couple of newbie concerns. One is that I will do something wrong specifically, carry into a no-no area. I know the legal ones, it mainly the businesses etc that I'm afraid of, missing a sign or something.

I'll be carrying an older sig 229 in a Don Hume OWB. I'm having a tough time being comfortable when I carry it around the house. Is this something i get used to? or is it time to try a new holster?

Thanks for all your help for all questions now and in the future.

I've got a Don Hume OWB also that I carry a P95 in (which is a relatively large gun for CC). I've found that the Don Hume hugs my body tight, almost as tight as the IWB. Is your belt tight enough?

Yes, it is a hunk of steel on the outside of your belt, so it is going to be somewhat bulkly; but, it shouldn't be THAT bulky. Like I said, the Don Hume hugs my body very tightly (and countours to it when I carry at 3:00). Try tightening the belt or getting a better belt (or both).

Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    I've got a Don Hume OWB also that I carry a P95 in (which is a relatively large gun for CC). I've found that the Don Hume hugs my body tight, almost as tight as the IWB. Is your belt tight enough?

Yes, it is a hunk of steel on the outside of your belt, so it is going to be somewhat bulkly; but, it shouldn't be THAT bulky. Like I said, the Don Hume hugs my body very tightly (and countours to it when I carry at 3:00). Try tightening the belt or getting a better belt (or both).
    I have to agree with getting a better belt, it makes all the difference.

To your concern about being comfortable, it will come with time. Once you get your permit and have carried awhile it will become like putting a watch on. Be safe and be armed
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks for your replies. Actually I agree it is very high and tight. concealabilty is not an issue. Around the house I've been playing with a undershirt and a button up casual **** and the thing disappears. But until now I've been playing with both of these outside the pants. The issue has been with how comfortable it is. walking around no problem, sit down.... not comfortable. I've been keeping it about.... 2:30 im a little overweight and it feels like any closer to 3 it sticks out too much. Tonight I'm going to try a tucked in undershirt, then gun, then button up.... if that makes sense. we'll see. any other tips would be beneficial.

VIP Member
    You might want to try the 3:30/4:00 position. I carry in this position both IWB as well as OWB. I don't have any problems with it there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from Prince William Co...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Been visiting this forum for a long time too.. but I just got my license last week, after waiting a looooong six weeks for it to arrive in the mail. I share your concerns. Been trying to read up on the different aspects of carrying. Also trying to train myself to be more observant to signs as i enter buildings and stores. I'll probably carry at home first too.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post
    Long time lurker of this forum. The new VA legislation finally motivated me to apply for my CC permit, and hopefully it arrives before July 1st. Got all of my paperwork dropped off to the Loudoun County courthouse last Monday (June 14th).

Couple of newbie concerns. One is that I will do something wrong specifically, carry into a no-no area. I know the legal ones, it mainly the businesses etc that I'm afraid of, missing a sign or something.

I'll be carrying an older sig 229 in a Don Hume OWB. I'm having a tough time being comfortable when I carry it around the house. Is this something i get used to? or is it time to try a new holster?

Have been carrying for 2 yrs still have issues with printing, and comfort of fit. all I can say is keep searching and to steal from someone else carry every day, it will get more comfortableas you go.
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

i carry a glock 30 IWB at 3:00.takes some time to get used to it.most time now,i dont even know its there..it gets easier.

I carry one of two Glocks all the time. In the house I still wear it...the wife is pretty used to me having all the time.
    This weekend, the wife flew up to IN and brought the grandkids back down. So now we have a 6 year old and a 3 year old with us for three weeks.
    The only thing that has changed is that my safe is now locked, and the only gun out is on my hip. I do wear a cover shirt so the kids never see it. Tonight I took a long nap on the couch with a blanket over me. The gun was comfortably tucked into my side...never even thought about it.

Soon you won't even thinking about it being on your side. It's on my belt as I type this response.
    When I go to bed, the gun on my side will be out of the safe, but up high in the closed until we all awake, then it goes back to my side.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm overweight.. and I carry at 4:00. I have the Don Hume OWB JIT Slide for my 9mm and a custom IWB for my XD .40. Both are comfortable but it took time for me to get use to it.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

ok im home sick today so im going to try a couple of these. maybe ill try some different carry positions and take some pics. Should i start a new thread for this or just keep rolling?

ETA: Maybe i wont post up pics, but moving it to 3-330 feels alot better sitting and lounging no problem. closer to 4 gets the butt sticking out a little more than i like.

I have a white shirt under the holster and it feels much better. It basically disappears in a slightly over sized button-up (casual).

Athletic polo it a little tight and printing.... alot. so im going to rule that out.

I'm going to guess patterns help hide any printing?

I'm going to wear it around the house the rest of the day but so far i think we have a winner. As always any advice appreciated... still an empty mailbox :(

Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post

If you carry into a business that is posted "no guns" or something silly like that, there are no legal consequences....

If you carry concealed, no big deal.

If you open carry, no big deal....until you are asked to leave. If you don't leave, you can be charged with trespassing. So, if you leave, no big deal.

That's it.

I recommend you: 1-Join the Virginia Citizen's Defense League (www.vcdl.org); 2-read and keep a copy of the VA Code on carrying firearms from the State Police website (Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Wife just brought up the mail, it's here I'm legal. :) New thread

Links