Going to Florida in Sunday

This is a discussion on Going to Florida in Sunday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I'm going down to Pensacola on Sunday for at least a week's stay, just wanted to know what all is different about carrying in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Florida in Sunday

Well I'm going down to Pensacola on Sunday for at least a week's stay, just wanted to know what all is different about carrying in Florida rather than Georgia besides the obvious Concealed Carry only in FL.

Also, any tips for taking care of an all steel 1911 in the FL climate? Wish I'd bought a Glock now after looking at a G32 yesterday

laws are similar , if you got your permit you good to go ...
    let me ask you something is of topic but I going to GA next week , can I open carry with my florida permit ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Well I'm going down to Pensacola on Sunday for at least a week's stay, just wanted to know what all is different about carrying in Florida rather than Georgia besides the obvious Concealed Carry only in FL.

Also, any tips for taking care of an all steel 1911 in the FL climate? Wish I'd bought a Glock now after looking at a G32 yesterday

Come on down and have a good time...
    you and your pistola will be fine.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    let me ask you something is of topic but I going to GA next week , can I open carry with my florida permit ??
    I responded to your thread. :)

GM
    Places there you cannot carry - Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, FDACS :

o any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    o any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    o any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    o any courtroom*
    o any polling place
    o any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    o any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    o any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    o any school administration building
    o any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    o any elementary or secondary school facility
    o any area technical center
    o any college or university facility*
    o inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    o any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law

(*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

You are not allowed to be in a bar, but you can sit in a restaurant and drink a beer with your lunch without problem if you keep away from the bar area. Signs do not have any legal weight in FL, but if they ask you to leave you better do it, otherwise you are armed trespassing. Like in GA, in FL you do not have to inform the Officer that you carry a firearm. Also cheek Handgunlaw.us for more info.

The weather in FL is a killer for firearms. Keep your 1911 well lubed and wipe it off with a dry and clean cloth every day. I live in south FL, and although I took care of my carry weapon very well I had rust problems with it; now I use Eezox and I do not have more problems; I love that thing.
    BTW, have fun and enjoy this steam room
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here in FL, you can use the interstate rest stops while carrying, unlike in GA. Other than that, common sense will generally cover most things. Unless you're carrying on the beach or boating, there shouldn't be any rust issues than what you're accustomed to. Sweat is the worst thing next to dropping a gun in the saltwater. Keep it clean and wiped down.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    When I first moved to Florida, 12 yrs. ago, all my guns were stainless or titanium because of the so called salt air and ever present perspiration. Lately however, I have purchased several steel/polymer guns and all steel coated ones. The new coatings are extremely rust resistant and if you wipe the gun down occasionally with a treated cloth and clean and oil it about every 6 mos. and after it's fired, you should have no problems. Just don't fall out of a boat.

Cool Silicone Reel and Gun Cloth....

A silicone reel and gun cloth used daily will keep your blue steel 1911 rust free for the time you are here.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

My 1911 is parkerized, with a tiny amount of the carbon steel showing where the kydex has decided to wear through quickly and a little bit of wear from the leather side. So just wipe it down with a little bit of Rem-oil every night and I'll be good to go?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Here in FL, you can use the interstate rest stops while carrying, unlike in GA. Other than that, common sense will generally cover most things. Unless you're carrying on the beach or boating, there shouldn't be any rust issues than what you're accustomed to. Sweat is the worst thing next to dropping a gun in the saltwater. Keep it clean and wiped down.
    Exsept when you have (TAR BALLS & OIL) In the water clean & lube at same time ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm here in Panama City teaching Hazwoper classes and the humidity must hover near 100 much of the day. Leaving AC, where your gun becomes cold and then going out will cause some sweating (or condensation) just keep it wiped down with a gun cloth and you will be fine.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

One last quick question before I head out on my drive to Pensacola; when I cross the border from GA to FL do I have to disarm? I figure that I would not have to since my permit is honored by FL, but better safe than sorry is my motto!

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    That's a good question to be asking. In GA you're fine, but I just discovered that when I visit my son in IN, my FL permit does not allow me to open carry as he can do in IN. Always check the state's laws.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    One last quick question before I head out on my drive to Pensacola; when I cross the border from GA to FL do I have to disarm? I figure that I would not have to since my permit is honored by FL, but better safe than sorry is my motto!
    You'll be fine...armed and concealed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Come on down!!! You are very welcome here. We need as many legally armed citizens as we can get!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links