CHL records -- Are they public or private, in your state?

This is a discussion on CHL records -- Are they public or private, in your state? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Poll Question, for legal U.S. residents only: Are CHL records in your state legally a matter of public record and available to anyone for the ...

View Poll Results: CHL Records public or private in your state of residence?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private -- Available only for legitimate law enforcement use.

56 75.68%
  • Public -- Anyone may access the records.

14 18.92%
  • Other -- Please describe.

4 5.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHL records -- Are they public or private, in your state?

CHL records -- Are they public or private, in your state?

Poll Question, for legal U.S. residents only: Are CHL records in your state legally a matter of public record and available to anyone for the asking, or are they private and restricted to only legitimate, specific law enforcement related use? If other, please describe.

If you're legal U.S. citizen and resident, has your state's legislature identified records of concealed carry license holders as public records that may be accessed by anyone for any reason, or has the legislature set aside these records from "casual" use?

In Oregon, an appeals court ruling just came down that upholds a 2008 judgment that CHL records are part of the public record and are available for the asking. (See below, for an article describing the story.)

Of course, many of Oregon's Sheriffs still are fighting against the forced disclosure. Who knows how that will all pan out. Oregon has very many anti-gunner politicians in the legislature, so getting anything positive done with respect to defensive firearms is difficult. So, it's hard to say whether Oregon citizens have a chance of seeing such security-related records being treated differently anytime soon.

Oregon Appeals Court Rules Handgun Permits Are Public Records

David Nogueras | June 24, 2010 | Bend, OR

The Oregon Court of Appeals has upheld a 2008 ruling that found concealed handgun permits are part of the public record.

The case was filed by a Southern Oregon newspaper.

The Medford Mail Tribune first requested the list as part of its reporting on Shirley Katz, a Medford high school teacher who requested permission to bring her concealed handgun to work with her.

The Medford School District refused. Katz sued. And two years later, the school district won.

The Mail Tribune wanted to know if there were any other teachers who had concealed handgun licenses.

When the Jackson County Sheriff’s office refused to reveal the names, the Mail Tribune sued.

Medford Mail Tribune editor Bob Hunter says the paper decided to stick with the case as a matter of principle, even after teacher Shirley Katz was off the front page.

Bob Hunter: “That story is old news now. But the issue of keeping public records public never becomes old news, hopefully.”

The Court of Appeals said the Jackson Country Sheriff’s Office must now release a list of names of people who were issued concealed weapons permits between 2006 and 2007.

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters had no comment. The Sheriffs’ office has 35 days to appeal the ruling.

© 2010 OPB
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

many of the papers in Iowa publish them... And, list them by county. I don't like it.

Washington State - Private, release limited to law enforcement and correction agencies.

RCW 42.56.240
    Investigative, law enforcement, and crime victims.

The following investigative, law enforcement, and crime victim information is exempt from public inspection and copying under this chapter:

(4) License applications under RCW 9.41.070; copies of license applications or information on the applications may be released to law enforcement or corrections agencies;

RI - Private

Although a number of "journalists" have tried to obtain access to CCW permit records, the attorney general's office has held firm in denying that such information can be released.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Amend2 View Post
    Although a number of "journalists" have tried to obtain access to CCW permit records, the attorney general's office has held firm in denying that such information can be released.
    Great, but that's only the personal opinion of this term's A.G. That can change as of the next election, or the next spendy political contribution to the A.G.'s coffers. What does your state's statues dictate?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Kansas They are legitament law enforcement only, No other public access is allowed.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

VIP Member
    In Virginia:

They are public at the court house in person.

However, the State data-base was made private after the anti-gun Roanoke Times post it on their web.

So, I voted "other."

Addendum:

Quote Originally Posted by Amend2 View Post
    That's where we are on the State's database, also.

We nearly got a law passed last session.

HB79 Concealed handgun permits; access to applications and permittee information. Prohibits a clerk of court from providing public access to concealed handgun permit applications and information regarding identifiable permittees without the written consent of the applicant or permittee. The applications and information would be available to law-enforcement agencies, and the clerk of court would be authorized to release aggregate information that does not identify individual applicants or permittees.
    It made it through the House [87 to 10] but was killed (did not advance) in the Senate: Courts [kangaroo] sub: Special, which Saslaw and Marsh set-up to kill pro-RKBA bills -- in violation of Senate rules.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 25th, 2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added addendum
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

private and there is no database for police to check your permit against they literally have to call the judge in your home county who issued to find out if its valid
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

VIP Member
    In Tennessee, they are public. The Memphis Commercial Appeal and the Knoxville News Sentinel have published searchable databases which anyone may access by going to their websites. Thus far, efforts to close the records have been unsuccessful here, in part because members of the legislature from both parties want to have access to the data to raise money from Second Amendment supporters.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Georgia is official use only, found this website while I was researching for my answer to this post. Public access to concealed carry lists - Sunshine Review

It seems a little bit old as it seems to show a pre-Heller vs DC verdict for D.C., but mostly accurate otherwise so take it with a grain of salt, and as always do your own research.

After the Cleveland Plain Dealer and a few other papers published lists of CHL holders, the law was changed to forbid mass copying. Journalists can SEE the lists, but they cannot mass copy them.

After the lists were published, the personal information of various newspaper publishers and others was posted on pro-gun message boards, including addresses, pictures of homes, property values, etc. This retaliation by the geese seemed to greatly shock and discomfit the ganders.

As the old man used to say in the early first person shooter video game, "Redneck Rampage", "Mess with the bull, get the horns!"

texas leo only
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

Arizona, to the best I know... Private

Indiana-private

Well, after July 1st that is.

Not to many papers have published any lists.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

South Dakota is private, and I remember seeing a law that said the state can't compile a comprehensive list of all permit holders. But I'm sure the counties all have their databases. I tried to find the law again to clarify but I'm still searching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links