Handcuffs a part of EDC?

Handcuffs a part of EDC?

This is a discussion on Handcuffs a part of EDC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering about the legality of handcuffing a BG that you somehow managed to subdue without killing. I'm not saying I think I am ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Handcuffs a part of EDC?

Handcuffs a part of EDC?

I am wondering about the legality of handcuffing a BG that you somehow managed to subdue without killing. I'm not saying I think I am a LEO or anything, but it might be nice to have a wave to control the BG until the 5-0 arrives, right?

Maybe I am looking at it wrong. Input?
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Its not our job to be a police officer. It is your job to either avoid confrontation, or to end a threat to your life. Handcuffing someone, especially without a cover man, is a very dangerous proposition, and the BG will probably not lay their passively while you put them on.

If you end the threat, then great. If the BG runs away, you should be calling the cops anyways since you pulled your weapon, at that point just be a good witness.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Nope, not going to carry them. I dont know the "legality", but I dont need them. If I stop a threat he can lay there and bleed. If he gives up and lays on the ground, great the police will handle him. If he runs away, he runs away. We sometimes for get that we carry to protect ourselves. I in no way want anything to do with trying to detain someone.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

VIP Member
    Been discussed before. Almost universally agreed that it's a BAD idea.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I see your points and agree. thanks for the input!

Shortest thread ever award :p

Closed?
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

I'm not getting close enough to someone I've either already shot or drew on, to put handcuffs on him! I'm not LEO and don't want to be.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Until I'm sworn, my arrest authority extends to "get on the ground!" and "don't shoot me as you run away!"

So basically it comes down to... well, "drop the weapon! get on the ground!" and when the person runs away, I'm on 911 saying "yes, he's wearing <whatev> and he's in <some car> and he just left."

Also likely going to be like, "I'm wearing <pants>, <some shirt>, am armed" etc.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Its not our job to be a police officer. It is your job to either avoid confrontation, or to end a threat to your life. Handcuffing someone, especially without a cover man, is a very dangerous proposition, and the BG will probably not lay their passively while you put them on.

If you end the threat, then great. If the BG runs away, you should be calling the cops anyways since you pulled your weapon, at that point just be a good witness.
    This is your answer.

Not to mention it puts you in a legally dangerous position (IANAL)...kidnapping, unlawful detainment, battery, impersonating a LEO, etc.

I carry a firearm to protect myself and my family....I don't pretend I'm a LEO...

IMO, if you want to carry cuffs and detain someone, get the training and become a LEO.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    I am wondering about the legality of handcuffing a BG that you somehow managed to subdue without killing. I'm not saying I think I am a LEO or anything, but it might be nice to have a wave to control the BG until the 5-0 arrives, right?

Maybe I am looking at it wrong. Input?
    Very wrong!

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how I see it. There's an old saying, "Distance is your friend." This is true in regards to gunfights and to the proximity of badguys being held at gunpoint.

If the badguy wants to run, let him or her go. If someone doesn't want to submit to being held at gunpoint, and I'm not working, they can run as quick and as far as they want. I won't be chasing them unless some other unusual circumstance requires that I do so.

Carrying handcuff ranks up there with the CCW Badge.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; June 26th, 2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: clarify topic

No, no, no...need to be a pretend LEO! You'll be thrown in jail for impersonation!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

GM
    A very, very bad idea . Furthermore, I do not want to be that close to a BG when he most probably is very mad and wants to put me to sleep forever .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not getting that close. If I had to shoot, hopefully he's no longer up to resisting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Cool

The only handcuffs you need to think of having are fur lined and not for a bad guy.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I agree.

I'm not a cop.
    I don't want to be a cop.
    I don't want people to think I'm a cop.

I have zero desire to detain people.

If you put me in a self-defense situation, I either want you out of my presence or incapacitated in some way, be that dead or alive.

I carry a gun so that I don't HAVE to touch dangerous assailants to defend myself. The idea of VOLUNTARILY coming into contact distance seems like a VERY bad idea, especially with my prisoner taking training limited to what I learned in ROTC and the Infantry Officer Basic Course in the 1970s.

If my assailant runs away, he's the cops' problem after I dial 911. If he persists in his attack, he's no longer a problem at all.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links