A new carry (carrier?) issues and questions...

This is a discussion on A new carry (carrier?) issues and questions... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a couple questions, this is my first post so please be gentle. 1. I have a glock 19, while i did undergo ...

Thread: A new carry (carrier?) issues and questions...

A new carry (carrier?) issues and questions...

So I have a couple questions, this is my first post so please be gentle.

1. I have a glock 19, while i did undergo training including live fire exercises, i was wondering if I can carry my weapon without the firepin reset. Since I don't know the technicals let me explain: i.e. dry firing the weapon then loading it and carrying it without anything in the chamber or the firing pin even reset?

Being so new to carry, not having a hard safety switch makes me nervous but i love my 19.

2. If i go out of town and don't want to carry, and i am out for an extended time, where besides my home can I store the weapon? can we "deposit" them with the state police or something? I am also referring to both hand and long guns in this case.

Thanks guys! and gals!

2. Remove Ads

1. Carry in condition 1, always. Your pistol was designed for this and is perfectly safe

2. Store your weapon in a safe, in your car. Like one of these. Or get a quality, fire-proof safe at home and store it there.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by fate119 View Post
    So I have a couple questions, this is my first post so please be gentle.

1. I have a glock 19, while i did undergo training including live fire exercises, i was wondering if I can carry my weapon without the firepin reset. Since I don't know the technicals let me explain: i.e. dry firing the weapon then loading it and carrying it without anything in the chamber or the firing pin even reset?

Being so new to carry, not having a hard safety switch makes me nervous but i love my 19.

2. If i go out of town and don't want to carry, and i am out for an extended time, where besides my home can I store the weapon? can we "deposit" them with the state police or something? I am also referring to both hand and long guns in this case.

Thanks guys! and gals!
    Hi Fate, welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!

1. You don't need to worry about the weapon if you do not put a round in the chamber. The gun will not fire until you rack the slide to put one in the chamber. In the event the weapon is needed for self defense, you might not have the time to do this. So practice at the range until you are comfortable with your weapon, once you get to that point put a round in the chamber and reload the magazine so it's full. KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT SOMETHING AND YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM.

2. I don't think the State Police will want your weapons. Check with a gun store close to your home and see if they would store them for you for a reasonable price.

Good luck with both issues!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

First off, welcome to the forum. Why would you not want to carry one in the pipe, if you carry in a good quality holster and your finger stays off the trigger you are fine. You may not have time to jack one in the pipe if you have to pull your weapon and defend yourself, so basically you have an expesive paper weight. Practice wearing the gun around the house till you get used to the CC idea, it won't take long and it will become part of you. I do not recommend having an empty chamber though.
    I would recommend buying a gun safe to store your weapons in, although some gun shops might keep them for you while you are gone, this for a fee of course. You can ask them to clean them and pick them up when you return.

aah guys thanks. well gunsafes are good, but was just concerned about extended absences. I live in an apartment so can't have a floor bolted safe. also can you tell me when are you "required" to inform the police when CC'ing? (besides when you shoot someone ofcourse) I understand every state is different but is there sort of a general rule of thumb? this was something definitely not covered my CC class...

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Just because you're out of town, why wouldn't you carry? Are you going to a place with no BG's?
    Know your state laws and the laws of the state you are visiting.
    As we don't know where you are, it's difficult to give any definitive advice.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

jfl
    I always carry my Glocks (G-19 or G-26) with a round in the chamber; that's what they are designed for, and you might not have your other hand free to rack the slide; pushing somebody away from the line of fire, protecting yourself, etc.

Storing your gun ? A safe deposit box in your bank will cost you $3 to $5 a month ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

hey guys thanks, no well sometimes i do travel to states where my state's CC isn't recognized, and going about getting all others out of state CCs is painful. plus i travel internationally. jfl- i am more concerned about my longguns while i am out of the country.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    I have mine in a bolted down stack-on safe. Four-eight digit electronic lock. I hell of a great investment at MC Sports for $45. They make smaller ones too for desk drawers, glove boxes, etc. They bolt down to your floor or, mines bolted to the studs in the wall in my closet. Easy to access and wont budge an inch.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Well Welcome to DC...

CCing take time till you feel comfortable...to some degree...

IMHO empty pipe = one less reason to carry, kinda like not have a spare tire when you get a flat...

As for storing your HG and rifle's, get a gun safe for the car, which can be used in the house too...
    As for rifles, IMHO rifle box change to eyehole in the wall..
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would recommend either getting a good safe, or for when you are traveling internationally a good friend who doesn't mind you storing in his or her safe. I occasionally store weapons for friends; that's what friends are for, right?

As for informing, laws vary by state. Check out handgunlaw.us for a rundown of your state.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Links