CC revolver loads

This is a discussion on CC revolver loads within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a fiend who has a shot shell as the first round fired. He states if he has to get off a quick shot ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CC revolver loads

Ex Member
    I have a fiend who has a shot shell as the first round fired. He states if he has to get off a quick shot he will hit with SOMETHING.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I have a fiend who has a shot shell as the first round fired. He states if he has to get off a quick shot he will hit with SOMETHING.
    Um... There's so much wrong with this line of thinking, I don't even know where to start...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

For .357, I am currently carrying CorBon 125 gr which they say have about 550 ft lbs of energy. I haven't chronoed them yet to find out exactly what they are from my SP101.

As far as shotshell ammo, save it for the woods like others have said, or just leave out all together. You said your girlfriend was bit by a copperhead, even though shotshell isn't very effective, I certainly hope you won't be shooting it at the copperhead if it is in striking range of a person in the future, they're pretty small snakes.

The lever gun ammo might be good ammo, but I haven't seen it tested out of pistol barrel lengths to know exactly how effective it is. I would stick with some stuff that has been tested and proven.

Your GP100 will handle some really hot stuff if you can shoot it. I have a load that I use for hunting that is a bit over 700 ft lbs of energy out of a GP100. Definately an effective load, but for hogs and deer.

Good luck with your ammo choice, and let us know how the LeverEvolution ammo shoots.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Better??
    Im still carrying snake shot on walks though, that stuff was too real!
    I use the shot shells for snakes, I generally carry 2 shot and 4 ball. I'm generally around water and snakes need a double tap to be effective. The point is to hit them in the spine, doesn't kill them
    usually and then use the ball on a stationary tgt. One can always reposition the cylinder as needed.
    As far as the leverlution--- it is a good round, shoots well in a revolver; doesn't impart enough energy at revolver speeds and tends to over penetrate. I guess it does not mushroom well from a revolver.
    But, for a trail gun load I would use it, since you never know how big the threat would be, in town I use a established SD rnd..

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    good stuff, thanks guys! as for penetration, I think the biggest stuff to fear in Indiana (where i am) would be the rabid dog or a BG, but ive heard ghost stories of bobcats, mountain lions, sasquatch...
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Yep. There are any number of high quality HP's out there that were made to shoot out of your Ruger. I don't think you will go wrong.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    As mentioned, I don't think any BGs are particularly looking at what's in the cylinder compared to the weapon itself. I load my 357 with 125 SJHPS or JHPs, I perfer Winchester 148 Gr JHPs, but their hard to come by though. I also use 158 Gr. JHPs.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I don't like shot shells in revolvers.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

tea
    I once shot a Neutria with a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum with three shot shells and all the critter did was turn around and head off in the opposite direction. I would under no condition trust my life to shot shells in a handgun for self-defense. I have no experience with a Judge so that might be an exception but probably not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links