How to carry wearing a kilt. - Page 2

How to carry wearing a kilt.

This is a discussion on How to carry wearing a kilt. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CTAC Tuckable by CompTac. It seems to work just fine with a Kilt. The Utili-Kilts also work well with a Pocket Holster. Thigh Holsters are ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to carry wearing a kilt.

CTAC Tuckable by CompTac. It seems to work just fine with a Kilt.

The Utili-Kilts also work well with a Pocket Holster. Thigh Holsters are not something I wish to consider due to the chafing. The Sporan will hold a small handgun, but I don't carry a small gun.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by caubry89 View Post
    Thigh holster maybe??
    Drop holster...two of them :D
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Thigh holster maybe??
    Now there's a one shot method to make sure that no one tries to disarm you!

Best of luck to you!
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

Kilts and me...

I think this is one dept I can chime in on....

I wear a kilt every single day. I also carry a Kimber Pro Carry II everyday. I don't own pants and I hate them so much I have a video of me burning my last pair.

To get to brass tacks....

I use a Smartcarry and love it.

For a few years I was a kilt dealer and would show people features on my own kilt. Thousands of people focused between my waist and knees and no one ever noticed the gun. I can draw from the waist or when sitting pull the kilt up and draw that way. Close friends have never noticed and even the ones that know still have to ask.

One downside is you may want an undergarment on to prevent chaffing. Some guys this is no biggie. I know for me in the Texas heat its a bit much once I start to sweat. The only other downside I experience is my faux pearl grips...the snaps on a Utilikilt brand in particular have left some very, VERY faint scratches on the grip. It wasn't a big deal to me and I never noticed it on my polymer grips on other weapons.

If your wearing a Utilikilt brand in particular I dont recommend pocket carry. The pockets attach low on the hips so when you sit the pockets are hard to draw from. Nationskilt has some pockets that attach higher. For traditional type kilts I still prefer to use the Smartcarry, the sporran is sort of annoying when it has a lot of weight on it, sort of "slams" on you. I tried Sporran carry and for a day or two might not be bad though. I also tried one of the non-traditional type sporrans from Amerikilt and it was sort of prone to printing and again like a regular sporran, lots of weight moving around.

The Smartcarry is durable and my first one lasted two years of HARD, all day, every day, rain or shine wear. Under cars, on boats, scaffolding, movies, snow, mud, you name it...And I still have it actually.

I wouldn't think a thigh holster very effective, it wouldn't take much of a breeze while sitting to be made. Perhaps a really heavy wool kilt or a 12 OZ duck cloth type might work. I know my heavy workmans will still blow up around my thighs in heavy winds once they're broken in.

I very recently tried to switch of an IWB holster I got used that was made by Bluegrass. Its fine with a cover garment but without a cover garment it really ruined the pleats laying down smoothly, it make it pretty bulgy. A small gun of course would partially remedy this. If you carry under the apron of course this isnt an issue. Especially on a traditional kilt with 180 degrees of apron.

Glad to see another fellow kilted guy on here who carries.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Administrator

Wink

Just make certain that whatever method of carry you ultimately decide on that you can get to your self-defense firearm quickly.

Because....When the SHTF ~ I don't want you to get kilt. <~~~

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just make certain that whatever method of carry you ultimately decide on that you can get to your self-defense firearm quickly.

There are 3000 unemployed comedians in this country...and we get stuck with this???

Just kidding...not bad actually...

I work with a guy who is into kilts...and bagpipes...I'll have to ask him...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Thigh holster maybe??
    Just be careful what you grab!
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    All you need are bagpipes. They were invented as a weapon of war, and will easily repel any attackers.

If that fails, you could hide a sawed off shotgun in one pretty easily. Just be sure which pipe you put in your mouth.

BTW, what's the difference between a bagpipe and an onion?

No one ever cries when you chop up a bagpipe.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I think I'm gonna have a laughin attack!!!!!! Sick Sick Sick!!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm still trying to figure out how you would wear a kilt and work on scaffolding .................
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

I've shot IDPA matches including twice at the indoor nationals with shooters who have worn kilts and carried concealed no problem to a high degree of function.
    I served as safety officer for three days straight this year along side a gentleman who wore a kilt and carried as to compete.

Their kilts were outfitted similarly to pants; Belt, holster (OWB and IWB) along with spare mag holder and of course proper functional type & length cover.

Like any other clothing including womens with skirts and dresses as well as men in beach attire shorts (I've done this myself), it's just a matter of specific application gear selection and learning to dress around the gun.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If you leave the house looking anything like this picture, then I would DEFINITELY recommend you find a good way to carry and do so AT ALL TIMES!
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

The guy I know of is a retired career Marine, he shoots sharpshooter in IDPA running a 1911 and to me across three days he was nothing but nice & cordial.
    I would gladly work with him again.

His kilt very closely resembled this style and it was in MARPAT print.

He was briefly featured on Shooting USA toward the 2008 IDPA Indoor Winter Nationals for being a shooter running in a kilt.

Search around as there are a number of kilt makers that do them in traditional and non-traditional format including support for a more modern & common belt type.
    In fact I myself had been thinking to get a kilt...

From the forgotten film flop; 'Formula 51'
    Formula 51 (2001)

...And yes as usual I would do so while packin'. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I've shot IDPA matches including twice at the indoor nationals with shooters who have worn kilts and carried concealed no problem to a high degree of function.
    I served as safety officer for three days straight this year along side a gentleman who wore a kilt and carried as to compete.

Their kilts were outfitted similarly to pants; Belt, holster (OWB and IWB) along with spare mag holder and of course proper functional type & length cover.

Like any other clothing including womens with skirts and dresses as well as men in beach attire shorts (I've done this myself), it's just a matter of specific application gear selection and learning to dress around the gun.

- Janq
    GOT THAT RIGHT. As you know, I wear a KILT almost always & "Pack" Always.Every day activities to Inst., LEO Training.
    My "primary" guns = either a 1911, a S&W 4" 66 (some times a 686 ) OWB or a SP101. Often carry a BUG.

My rigs for the "primarys" are the same as I use to wear carrying in "p*^ts ( IWB, OWB & shoulder. also off body.)

Here is a pic of me training with some LEOs ( yes I am "packing"

BTW, I believe the Man in your 1st pic is Ron ( aka Riverkilt) If so, then He is also one of the Men testing out the "thigh Rigs )

KILT ON, Puffer

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Well a number of gents have been advocating a thigh wear holter based on the experience of a young lady who carries that way. I personally use an elastic waistband holster that carries my Makarov and an extra clip very nicely. I just can't see fumbling around trying to reach under my kilt to get my weapon out. Might grab the wrong thing.
    HI GOOD BUDDY

As You know, I was/am involved in thi discussion. Perhaps, I can give some background & thoughts ??

1. Background
    A. The Lady mentioned ( Chick Holsters ) supplied 3 of us ( who wear a Kilt on a reg. basis & carry ), with Thigh rigs to test out.

Here is mine

B. Each of us varied in build,type of gun & type of kilts worn.
    C. We were ALL impressed with the quality of the Rigs, comfort, etc ++ the Lady her self.
    D. We all had had our opinions on the use. Mine was/is

From my personal viewpoint, the rig fills 2 requirements

1. My Back up Gun ( BUG )
    2.. Covert access, ( esp. seated )

3.. Deep Cover as a "Primary". There are times when your attire/situation, makes it prudent to carry as "unobtrusive" as you can.
    4.. One of the rigs used for above (esp. LEOs) is an ankle rig. IMHO, the thigh rig maybe a better alternative.
    1. Ankle rigs require "p*^ts
    2. They are very "uncomfortable to wear

Puffer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links