How to carry wearing a kilt.

This is a discussion on How to carry wearing a kilt. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a Kilted Texan who carries, I've tried several ways for concealment, and generally prefer using a particular sporran that's roomy enough for my XD. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to carry wearing a kilt.

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar
    As a Kilted Texan who carries, I've tried several ways for concealment, and generally prefer using a particular sporran that's roomy enough for my XD. It's a Stillwater Kilts Nylon Cargo Sporran called the "NightStalker." That's for when the weather's too hot for a jacket. With a jacket, I'll often use a shoulder rig, horizontal carry.
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Thigh Holster

Hmm...If Puffer is sayin the thigh holster works Id be keen on trying one. I may need to pick one up at the next gunshow.

Kilts is a good source for kilt makers, both traditional and modern...

Another option is a guy who makes tactical kilts and you can find him at Needle Pimp. He makes pure custom ones and they look great. He quoted me a price and it was very reasonable but he was backed up for quiet a while so I haven't ordered one yet.

I have to admit, Im liking that there are more guys out there who wear kilts and carry. Any of yall into funeral cars as well?!

We work with the local swat team some and help them with locations and staff for exercises and scenarios. We also do the same for the Police Explorers, which is boy and girls ages 14-18 or so that want to be police officers. Our city has them help with security for parades and such and its a good program. The kids hate it when Im in the scenario as a "guy with a gun" since they have to pat us down and get them. We of course use the "blue" plastic guns, all real weapons are left elsewhere.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Durable?

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedTexan View Post
    As a Kilted Texan who carries, I've tried several ways for concealment, and generally prefer using a particular sporran that's roomy enough for my XD. It's a Stillwater Kilts Nylon Cargo Sporran called the "NightStalker." That's for when the weather's too hot for a jacket. With a jacket, I'll often use a shoulder rig, horizontal carry.
    How is the durability on the Nightstalker? Ive worn some of their kilts and liked them and thought the sporran looked neat but wasnt sure if it might support any weight. Their customer service has been excellent as well.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Why is it different than a pair of pants.... OWB, IWB, or that little bag thing...
    It's called a sporran - Scottish Gaelic for 'purse' - but the loose English translation is little bag thing.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    Well a number of gents have been advocating a thigh wear holter based on the experience of a young lady who carries that way. I personally use an elastic waistband holster that carries my Makarov and an extra clip very nicely. I just can't see fumbling around trying to reach under my kilt to get my weapon out. Might grab the wrong thing.
    Magazine! Rifles have clips.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I would go with the smartCarry!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I would think a guy in a skirt would want to OC so that everyone leaves him alone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I would like to know also. Sometimes I wear skirts and was wondering how I could still carry. Thing is I read somewhere that the thigh holsters can be very aggravating to wear.
    My wife wears skirts all the time. Just IWB with a untucked cover garment.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Hmm...If Puffer is sayin the thigh holster works Id be keen on trying one. I may need to pick one up at the next gunshow.

Alex!
    Alex, just some thoughts on "gun show" thigh rig" or selecting one in general.

1. A thigh rig is like a shoulder holster = it must fit the wearer correctly.
    2. There are also 2 straps that are critical for comfort & retention
    a. The waist strap. 2" wide & if velco closure, then "top grade.
    b. The Leg strap holding the holster to the thigh. Wide & "padded".Also positioned to firmly keep the holster against your thigh.

IMHO, You need to try it on, & spend time wearing it around, before buying.

1. The rig I was testing out is a "test" rig. (the men's version is not yet ready" for sale yet, she wants to make a couple of "refinements". ) Here is a post that we made while testing. - New Cc Carry Rig For Kilts - Brotherhood of the Kilt
    2. To be honest it is the best I have tried.

Puffer

I never knew so many men wore kilts. I see them at the Scotch Games in KC once a year, but don't usually see them out.
    Always thought they were "cool" and kind of hot . Must be my Scotch Ancestors influence.

It really showcases a nice pair of man's legs. I guess it is like they always tell us women...if you have a nice pair...show them.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Well a number of gents have been advocating a thigh wear holter based on the experience of a young lady who carries that way. I personally use an elastic waistband holster that carries my Makarov and an extra clip very nicely. I just can't see fumbling around trying to reach under my kilt to get my weapon out. Might grab the wrong thing.
    Just go for the bigger caliber and you'll be fine.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Wink

or shoot the wrong thing
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

It's a skirt.

I wear kilts a lot. My Colt .38 fits nicely into my Nightstalker sporran.(link below)

Stillwater Kilts Nylon Cargo Sporran: SWK-SPRN-NS1 Stillwater Kilts Web Store

My friend, this site has the ideal concealed carry solution. Works great and very hard to print while wearing this one.
    Deep Conceal, Ultra Carry Concealed Carry Holsters

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links