Printing rules ?

Printing rules ?

This is a discussion on Printing rules ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, new to the most important forum around.I know u don`t wont to draw attention to ur self as much as possible but I ...

Printing rules ?

Hello all, new to the most important forum around.I know u don`t wont to draw attention to ur self as much as possible but I am a fit guy and I don`t have many baggy clothes to wear in the summer,mainly T-shirts and shorts,I`m sure you don`t wont to show a complete outline of a gun on ur hip and I carry IWB but how much can u get away with?I have a M&P 40cal.compact and a P-11 9mm and they both seem to conceal well but sometimes u can see the grip printed in my tee shirt.should I be concerned?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First off, you notice the printing more than anyone else will because you know it's there. Solid-colored Ts in any color will print more than something with a pattern. Wear loose (doesn't have to be "baggy") shirts with a broken pattern, which breaks up any outlines.

For most, unless someone is specifically looking for a gun, a lump under a shirt is a cell or blackberry. Keep in mind than movements such as bending over can make printing more obvious.

In FL, the law requires your firearm to be concealed "from ordinary view." Printing is not in ordinary view.

If they can see a gun ... it's not concealed.
    If they see something they think is a gun, it's concealed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hi and welcome to the forum from California! I think we've all faced this issue and there are plenty of ways to reduce your printing. Everyone has a different style of clothing that they prefer but I would think that the best suggestion here would be to take your "style" and look in the mirror, etc. to see what you would think is a comfortable level of concealment for you. Sometimes having a loose T-shirt that's long enough to cover all even when your hands are raised seems to be a good rule of thumb. But, it's hard for anyone to completely get rid of all "bumps" that may occur when bending over. Just be conscious of this and try to avoid certain movements when you can. In the long run, I wouldn't sweat the occasional bump in the shirt as long as it's covered. Few people will ever pay attention and / or notice. Also, the darker the clothing, the better those bumps will blend in. I've had to invest in some summer time shirts to accompany this and it seems to work well.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

For Florida, I think the general rule of thumb is can a non-gun person make out whether it's a gun or not. Something poking out that can't be made out isn't a big deal, but if you can clearly see it's a grip to a firearm, then you'll need better concealment.

I think of it this way, if a LEO asked a passer-by what they thought was under a shirt, what do you think the passer-by would say? Would they imagine a cell phone or would they jump to firearm?

Just take a glance in the mirror before you leave, if theres a little blocky bump that could be a cellphone you're fine. If you look at it and go wow that looks like I'm trying to show off that I have a firearm under this shirt, get a bigger shirt. During the summer I wear a t-shirt and shorts and usually carry fullsize handguns, I don't worry about a little bulge if I turn a certain way but if you can clearly make out the entire gun someone can make an issue of it but 95% of the public will not notice at all.

First, welcome to the site. A lot of good people around here.

I don't worry about printing anymore as I've come to learn people just do not notice. I was playing catch with a friend yesterday in the park. He knows I carry but had no clue that I was yesterday until he asked.

His first response was where is it? I just pointed to my right side and he said, really? I can't see it but if I look in the mirror I can see it because I know it is there.

After catch we hit up KFC and his girlfriend chose where to sit. I didn't like where I had to sit but didn't give it much thought. The people a foot away in a booth never noticed that I was carrying and I know I was printing pretty damn hard with the shirt I had on.

Over time you just stop thinking about it. It has taken me a few months but it is rare I think about it anymore.

Thanks to everyone for the quick response and great advice,I think I over react most of the time but I guess its better safe than sorry.I don`t wont to ruin my privelage.it is an honor to be able to carry.it makes my family feel safe

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In FL, the law requires your firearm to be concealed "from ordinary view." Printing is not in ordinary view.
    If they can see a gun ... it's not concealed.
    If they see something they think is a gun, it's concealed.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by slickstre View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the quick response and great advice,I think I over react most of the time but I guess its better safe than sorry.I don`t wont to ruin my privelage.it is an honor to be able to carry.it makes my family feel safe
    Im 5'10 155 fit ,I carry my G23 with fit closes( large size), never had a problem.

Sometimes you have to make changes to your habits when CC'in. Maybe a few loose fits items wont kill ya. Summer is the toughest though, isn't it.

I don't really like the idea of 'dressing around the gun" either... and I ain't "fit" per se, just set in my ways... If you really want concealed , try a smart carry.. they won't work for everyone/every gun... but it might work for you and yours. If it doesn't, you can return it if purchased on line thru them.

For now, I'm selecting things from my wardrobe that allow me to dress around the gun....

BTW, tight fitting "wife beater" tees won't conceal anything...

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!

Just go on about your business and let them wonder!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links