Should They Ban Baseball Bats and A News media Rant

Should They Ban Baseball Bats and A News media Rant

This is a discussion on Should They Ban Baseball Bats and A News media Rant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am not a good writer so please be patient with this "rant". Many times the news media's english composition is poor and thus ...

Thread: Should They Ban Baseball Bats and A News media Rant

Angry Should They Ban Baseball Bats and A News media Rant

Hi,

I am not a good writer so please be patient with this "rant".

Many times the news media's english composition is poor and thus points fingers at the gun or gun ownership as the "criminal" rather than the criminal or gang that was actually involved in the crime. If the incident below was reported I am sure that the News Media reporters would have written something really stupid. I have seen many accounts of this type in my local paper. My poor example is below with the details.

I am joking here, but you get the point (Pay attention Mayor Daley, LOL) : "My son was assaulted in San Antonio Texas with a "deadly weapon" which I think should be banned along with handguns. We cannot allow these weapons to continue to injure or kill innocent people. Private ownership of baseball bats should be banned!"

Obviously I firmly believe that if he was legally carrying a concealed handgun and brought it into play he would not have been injured and the criminals would have fled the scene. No harm done to anyone, crime prevented!

Here's a fictitious report to illustrate my "rant" about the type of reporting I am ranting about.

"Young Man Assaulted by Baseball Bat - Police Seek Three Suspects."

"Last night a young man was attacked by baseball bat. Early in the evening, three men stopped the young man while he was walking home from the bus stop in the Olmos Basin Neighborhood. The suspects asked for his money and when he responded "I don't have any money" he was struck repeatedly by a baseball bat. The young man was taken to the trauma center where he received treatment for head injuries including cuts, bruises and a broken bone in his face. He is expected to make a full and complete recovery. The three suspects fled the scene and police are asking local citizens for help in locating the suspects."

This type of reporting is common when any person is attacked with a weapon of any type, even a baseball bat. Note "Last night a young man was attacked by baseball bat." The operative word is "by" the media continue to use incorrect english when reporting crimes about assaults with any "deadly weapon".

By the way, my son survived with approximately 100 stitches applied in the emergency room to close his wounds. He had a concussion and nearly had to have surgery to relieve pressure on the optic nerve of his right eye. He was struck three times, twice while he was on the ground nearly unconscious. Thankfully he has made a full recovery excepting his Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, he continues to have bad dreams about the assault and may need to have some psychiatric therapy.

I discussed the crime with a LEO of my acquaintance and he said that there was a similar incident the previous week in our city. The man that was attacked lost an eye, the LEO caught the suspect a few minutes after the assault and charged him with assault with a deadly weapon and ATTEMPTED MURDER.

This is a somber reminder that more innocent people should get permits and carry for self-defense!

Rant off!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Amen.

I wonder what the statistics from the FBI (if they actually had done one) would be involving assaults with Bats...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Cavemen used rocks and clubs to accomplish the same purpose. Have we really become any more civilized since then?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep to all, "Baseball bats don't kill people, criminals kill people"
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

"Last night a young man was attacked by baseball bat."
    I think he was attacked by three thugs, not the bat! Same when guns are involved, the "gun" is the assailant, not the person(s) wielding the weapon!

So yes, ban baseball bats, guns, knives, rocks, forks... not actually punish the people that are doing the crime!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I think he was attacked by three thugs, not the bat! Same when guns are involved, the "gun" is the assailant, not the person(s) wielding the weapon!

So yes, ban baseball bats, guns, knives, rocks, forks... not actually punish the people that are doing the crime!!!
    Amen to that Gun Bunny, I'm just glad that my son survived the incident. He is less anti-gun than before he got bashed with a deadly weapon, i.e. Baseball Bat.

The Duke

I'm going to put a bayonet lug on my baseball bat before they're banned......

Also, are we talking about banning the importation of assault bats?
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post

Yes, they "will" have to be 922r compliant! No more than 10 imported parts!

I hear Tapco will have some U.S. made bats soon though!

I'm very glad he survived also! I just couldn't imagine!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post

ROTFLAMO, assault bats, now that's funny.

In the news:

"The widespread use of maple bats by Law Enforcement Agencies and private citizens has come under fire recently by many parties. These bats are more likely to shatter into multiple pieces injuring innocent bystanders and they may soon be included in the "Assault Bat Legislation" now making it's way through Congress."

CHECK THIS OUT, from the Wikipedia entry on Bats, I do not paraphrase, this is verbatim:

"A baseball bat may be used as a club-like weapon. Baseball bats, and similar softball and rounders bar, are often associated with crime and assault in the public mind."

The Duke

I think the Houston Astros have outlawed the use of bats during their games.

* insert drum rim-shot *

Don't forget spoons! There was a guy that was stabbed in the throat with a spoon in Australia a few years ago, he lived but was in critical condition for a while.
    I'm glad your son is ok Duke, I hope they catch the guys that did it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Don't forget spoons! There was a guy that was stabbed in the throat with a spoon in Australia a few years ago, he lived but was in critical condition for a while.
    I'm glad your son is ok Duke, I hope they catch the guys that did it.
    Well dang!!! Let's just ban everything, why go on living if you "might" get hurt with something in life!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Well dang!!! Let's just ban everything, why go on living if you "might" get hurt with something in life!!!
    Exactly, let's all live in seperate padded rooms with straight jackets and mittens on.

In California you'll have to use the small billy club instead of the full sized and over powered regular bat.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Attackers using baseball bats, interesting...I wonder if they could hit several .45 bullets 'out of the park'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links