Change for SC CWP holders

This is a discussion on Change for SC CWP holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read on the SC GrassRoots forum that all new and renewals will no longer be through the mail or online as of August. You ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change for SC CWP holders

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

Just read on the SC GrassRoots forum that all new and renewals will no longer be through the mail or online as of August. You must go in person. Anyone else heard anything about this?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I would hope this does not mean a trip to Columbia but just a trip to your local police or a local state office--say Dept of Treasury or MV----IF it is true. Sounds sort of bogus for a state that is willing to forego sales tax once a year on gun sales.

Hmmmmm...you'd think something like that would be on the home page...I can't find anything.

GrassRoots South Carolina - Our Goal: Citizens carrying arms whenever and wherever they choose.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Just read on the SC GrassRoots forum that all new and renewals will no longer be through the mail or online as of August.
    I think it's bogus. I got my permit through the mail - my renewal should come the same way. As someone else asked, in person to whom? Local police? County Sheriff? (neither of which are involved in the original approval process) SLED?

This from the SLED website:

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

I am not sure what it means & will be calling the number for more info shortly.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

OK, followed the link on the SLED website. To me, it appears to be an electronic fingerprinting process that is already in use for various state agencies. I began the enrollment process to see what I could learn...not much...CWP was not on the menu yet.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Just read on the SC GrassRoots forum that all new and renewals will no longer be through the mail or online as of August. You must go in person. Anyone else heard anything about this?
    Where did you see that on the site? I didn't see anything about it at all. The L1 site info listed SC aS ONE OF IT'S CLIENTS. Just sounds like to me from the SLEDsite that it's going to be a LOT easier and quicker to get a permit, or get one renewed.

Of course, Grassroots didn't post anything about the HUGE SCOTUS ruling this week either. I found that to be sadly lacking. If they don't post THAT, I'm nor sure I'm going to rely on that sit for any of my info.

The SLED site refers you to the L1IdentitySolutions website. According to that site there are 14 locations scattered around the state where you can go (by appointment) to get the fingerprint scan.

I don't see any indication that getting the CWP will be any faster or slower.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Does this means we have to get refinger printed again?
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

According to the SLED website yes all new and renewal must be fingerprinted. Glad I just got my permit a few months ago. So now you get to pay your class fee, then your SLED fee and now a $50 dollar fingerprint fee. (fingerprint fee assumed by the price on L1 site for teacher fingerprint)

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I got the info that I posted from the SC GrassRoots blog. They send an email a couple times a day when there is something new on the blog and it was on there. ????? I don't know for sure....I'm just asking if anyone else has heard anything??????
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

From -
    South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

ATTENTION

STARTING AUGUST 2, 2010 SLED WILL BEGIN A NEW CWP AUTOMATED PROCESS. SLED WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT PAPER APPLICATIONS FOR NEW AND RENEWAL CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS. ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE NEW “SLED EasyPath” SYSTEM HOSTED BY L1 IDENTITY SOLUTIONS. ALL APPLICANTS, BOTH NEW AND RENEWAL, MUST BE FINGERPRINTED BY L1 IDENTITY SOLUTIONS.

ANY PAPER APPLICATION POSTMARKED AFTER JULY 9, 2010 WILL BE RETURNED IN PREPARATION FOR THE NEW SYSTEM.

PLEASE VISIT THE L1 WEBSITE AT L-1 Identity Solutions, Enrollment Services Division or CALL (866) 254-2366 BEGINNING AUGUST 2, 2010 TO REGISTER FOR AN APPOINTMENT.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

On the surface this boarders on unreasonable. I also wonder if it goes beyond their legal authority and is contrary to the law as it still reads.

A) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, except subject to subsection (B) of this section, SLED must issue a permit, which is no larger than three and one-half inches by three inches in size, to carry a concealable weapon to a resident or qualified nonresident who is at least twenty-one years of age and who is not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon upon submission of:

(1) a completed application signed by the person;

(2) one current full face color photograph of the person, not smaller than one inch by one inch nor larger than three inches by five inches;

(3) proof of residence or if the person is a qualified nonresident, proof of ownership of real property in this State;

(4) proof of actual or corrected vision rated at 20/40 within six months of the date of application or, in the case of a person licensed to operate a motor vehicle in this State, presentation of a valid driver's license;

(5) proof of training;

(6) payment of a fifty-dollar application fee. This fee must be waived for disabled veterans and retired law enforcement officers; and

(7) a complete set of fingerprints unless, because of a medical condition verified in writing by a licensed medical doctor, a complete set of fingerprints is impossible to submit. In lieu of the submission of fingerprints, the applicant must submit the written statement from a licensed medical doctor specifying the reason or reasons why the applicant's fingerprints may not be taken. If all other qualifications are met, the Chief of SLED may waive the fingerprint requirements of this item. The statement of medical limitation must be attached to the copy of the application retained by SLED. A law enforcement agency may charge a fee not to exceed five dollars for fingerprinting an applicant.

I don't see anything in the law that allows them to restrict the source to a private contractor nor refuse a set from a LEA and, in fact, it appears to me that the legislators fully intended to make that step affordable and convenient. They have taken all that and thrown it out the window. I object. I imagine they are concerned about the chain of custody of the finger print card but... they should take it back to the legislature and ask for the law to be changed and not be on their own making law. It is not the duty of SLED to make law.
    Last edited by cphilip; July 5th, 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Got this from the Grassroots forum...

This message from Jessica Cross, Outreach Advisor for Governor Sanford, was in response to an email from a Grassroots member expressing his dismay at the recently proposed changes...

Per our conversation earlier...

Thank you for getting the word out. The change in policy isn't something that we proposed or approved ahead of SLED's proposal. Weshare those same concerns of privacy and additional fees and have been in touch with SLED. The "Easy Path" isn't something they will be pursuing. Please help notify any interested parties that the state will not be going ahead with the program.

Thanks for your concern and for acting quickly.

Take care. Keep in touch.

Jessica Cross
    Outreach Advisor
    Office of Gov. Mark Sanford
    803-xxx-xxxx (w)
    803-xxx-xxxx (m)
    803-xxx-xxxx (f)
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    so the renewal process is still going to be the same?
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links