Pine Ridge Indian Reservation

This is a discussion on Pine Ridge Indian Reservation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On behalf of a friend, I ask "is it lawful to carry on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota?" Opinions are welcome. Cited ...

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

On behalf of a friend, I ask "is it lawful to carry on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota?"

Opinions are welcome. Cited evidence is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, DC.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

The two times I was going onto a Reservation I called their PD and they stated as long as I have a valid permit for Maine it was not a problem. Granted I've never was stopped and I can't speak for the laws in your state but just giving you my advice.

Call that particular native corporation, but don't take any chances...you're not in an American court, and the rules change.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Out here in AZ there are a LOT of reservations. Most, if not all, do not allow non-residents to go armed, which includes carrying in your vehicle. We do have a number of public roads which traverse reservations, and you're OK as long as you're on the roadway or the shoulder (i.e., if you have a breakdown).

If you decide to go shooting in the desert AND you're on tribal land AND you get caught - the norm out here is that you forfeit your weapon and your vehicle. Your only recourse is by Federal channels via the BIA, but a) don't expect it to happen quickly, and b) don't expect to succeed.

YMMV.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Question

I've been there and like on any other res, the folks are very distrusting of whites (even mixed breeds like me)--even more so of whites with guns. They have sovereignty and in many cases their laws supercede that of South Dakota. Tread lightly for you are a foreigner there. A misunderstanding can get you killed. Some will understand why you have it, many won't.

Call ahead and ask, tell them when you will be there and why. My recommendation is to leave it locked up in the car. This is the only time you will hear that from me. I suspect they will tell you that you can and that you won't need it.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

No matter which way you decided to go as far as carrying I suggest you DO NOT make any Wounded Knee jokes during your time there.

Links