Glock backup mag question. - Page 3

Glock backup mag question.

This is a discussion on Glock backup mag question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DukeShooter Hi, This may sound silly, but I carry a baby Glock 33 Pocket Rocket with a 10 round mag, trust my ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock backup mag question.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    Hi,

This may sound silly, but I carry a baby Glock 33 Pocket Rocket with a 10 round mag, trust my marksmanship and trust my 357 Sig Federal HST LE carry ammo to do the job. After all if 10 rounds doesn't neutralize the threat, I am probably in way too much trouble to extricate myself from with a handgun.

Just an $0.02 from your 'Ole Uncle Duke
    I'm with you on that. My CC is to get me out of trouble, not keep me in it. So many carry enough ammo to hold off most third-world armies.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I carry the G19 with a 15 round in it and a 15 round on the weak side. Not so worried about round counts as I am a failure.

VIP Member
    As several others have already stated, I carry my Model 30 with a Model 21 spare with A&G spacer.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

As I often switch between my G23 and G27 for carry, I'll normally carry the spare G23 magazine as back up for both. My rule of thumb when carrying a higher capacity Glock magazine for backup is one step up in frame size. G17 for the G19, G19 for the G26, etc. Not the G17 for the G26. Personal preference maybe, but I know the G17 magazine is has a sloppier fit in the G26, and it's going to depend more on how you grip things that might or might not give you issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PackinTiger View Post
    My EDC is a G30 and I always have a G21 mag to feed my 30 if need be. A few extra rounds is always nice. That is the beauty of Glock.
    Same here.

All of my "back up magazines" (would that make them BUMs? ) are Glock 17 mags whether I am carrying my 26, 19, or my 17. I just grab the mag pouch and go, don't need to member what mags and in it. I don't want a "I have the 17, but I grabbed my 19 mags by mistake." moment.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    All of my "back up magazines" (would that make them BUMs? ) are Glock 17 mags whether I am carrying my 26, 19, or my 17. I just grab the mag pouch and go, don't need to member what mags and in it. I don't want a "I have the 17, but I grabbed my 19 mags by mistake." moment.
    So, if you've got a BUG do you bring a BUM? I like it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Glock 26 w/ +2 mag extension (10+3 with one in the chamber if needed) and a standard 10rd mag in a Comptac tek-lock holster. Works just fine for me.

I already carry a full-size Glock, the 22. With that, if I'm carrying extra magazines, it's two standard mags. 15+1 in the gun, another 30 on my hip. If I ever need 46 rounds, I'm hoping I have a long gun somewhere close!
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

I gotta chime in again on the legal aspects of carrying a backup mag that is "over capicity" for the weapon.

"Hi-Capacity" magazines have gotten a bunch of negative press over the years. Although most of it (perhaps all) involves magazines for "assult" type rifles. I feel that when it comes down to it in court or a grand jury (and if you are involved in a sooting, you probably will end up there) "over/hi-capacity" magazines would look "bad" due to the bad press they have received.

That's why I don't use them and also because I feel that some "aftermarket" magazines may be unreliable.

My $.02....Take it with a large "grain of salt"...The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    I gotta chime in again on the legal aspects of carrying a backup mag that is "over capicity" for the weapon.

"Hi-Capacity" magazines have gotten a bunch of negative press over the years. Although most of it (perhaps all) involves magazines for "assult" type rifles. I feel that when it comes down to it in court or a grand jury (and if you are involved in a sooting, you probably will end up there) "over/hi-capacity" magazines would look "bad" due to the bad press they have received.

That's why I don't use them and also because I feel that some "aftermarket" magazines may be unreliable.

My $.02....Take it with a large "grain of salt"...The Duke
    I see your point. I see that like the DA arguing that first shot killed the assailant but this man shot twice, arguing that the second shot is use of excessive force.

Some DAs wouldn't think twice and others would look for anything to rake someone over the coals for. It really is a shame that we have to take things like that into account before we defend ourselves from being murdered by some BG.

As I carry the 17 round Glock 17 mags for universial compatability. Not for 17 versus 10 rounds, just have to be able to articulate your reasons to a jury.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Torontogunguy, what's the deal. I thought handguns were gone from Canada. I would love to live in Canada, but, I will not give up my guns. Not only do I believe they serve a real purpose, but I enjoy shooting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links