Anxious Comfort

Anxious Comfort

This is a discussion on Anxious Comfort within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For 15 years, in the course of my last job, I carried concealed, chambered, safety OFF. I never had any "mental" discomfort. I CC - ...

Thread: Anxious Comfort

Anxious Comfort

For 15 years, in the course of my last job, I carried concealed, chambered, safety OFF. I never had any "mental" discomfort. I CC - law dependent and OC hiking/camping - safety ON.

Problem: Since my kid is was born, I find myself unloading a semi-auto (even sometimes a revolver) when traveling in the car -"oh no, if we wreck it'll go off". As she is getting older I am getting more and more concerned about carrying her, playing etc. while carrying. I am more aware of her than my SA, it seems.

Anyone else go through this?

No.... but maybe retention holster would ease your mind.

In a wreck it will not "go off". Modern handguns are designed this way. If a handgun goes off if the trigger isnt pulled it needs to be gotten rid of ASAP because its a POS that will get you or someone else killed or injured. I OC 90% of the time, sometimes more. EVERYTHING I carry has NO manual safety and it is always loaded WITH one in the chamber. I have been in cars with kids and babies, I have thrown a ball with my friends kids and I have changed diapers while OC (even got pushed in a pool once).

Do not let it bother you, in fact you not having one in the chamber is more of a danger than anything else seeing as how you ALWAYS carried with one in the chamber, JMO. A good retention holster if OCing and you wont have a problem. Hell one of my friends, her daughter is 1 year old and I OC all the time around her and I have since the day she was born. Also to add to this, I was in a wreck while OCing with one in the chamber. I rolled a car over the winter after hitting a patch of ice. Nothing went boom or fell out of the holster.

This is just my .02 hope it helps.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

The antidote to anxiety is knowledge. Knowledge that your gun will not discharge unless you pull the trigger, and that the trigger cannot be pulled accidentally as long as your gun is securely holstered.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    In a wreck it will not "go off". Modern handguns are designed this way. If a handgun goes off if the trigger isnt pulled it needs to be gotten rid of ASAP because its a POS that will get you or someone else killed or injured. I OC 90% of the time, sometimes more. EVERYTHING I carry has NO manual safety and it is always loaded WITH one in the chamber. I have been in cars with kids and babies, I have thrown a ball with my friends kids and I have changed diapers while OC (even got pushed in a pool once).

Do not let it bother you, in fact you not having one in the chamber is more of a danger than anything else seeing as how you ALWAYS carried with one in the chamber, JMO. A good retention holster if OCing and you wont have a problem. Hell one of my friends, her daughter is 1 year old and I OC all the time around her and I have since the day she was born. Also to add to this, I was in a wreck while OCing with one in the chamber. I rolled a car over the winter after hitting a patch of ice. Nothing went boom or fell out of the holster.

This is just my .02 hope it helps.
    He said "his kid", not friends kids, niece, nephew, neighbor..ect. As a dad of 3, your own kids elicit different emotions in a person. The old adage "you wont understand untill you have one" is a true statement. That said, your statement is still very true. If the gun is a clunker, it should not be around anyway. The danger is not in the gun going off by itself, the danger is the child finding it when you have had a brain fart and left it somewhere it should not be. Happens from time to time, and the results are final.

I think you will get used to it as time goes by. If you are safe when you carry, you are safe.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

I know

I have a pretty good knowledge of firearms. I do know that they won't go off. I am pretty capable and confident. But when I am playing with my kid or driving I start thinking about the "1 in a million" stuff. Like basher says kids make you think differently. Suddenly, I feel new to the game.

GM
    I understand your concern very well, but I do not think that what you are doing is the real solution to the problem. What should happen if for example you stop at the red light and a BG attacks you when you are sitting in the car with an unloaded firearm? Will you then be able to protect your wife and your child? Is AZ nowadays so safe that it could never happen? IMO, what you are doing is not protecting your family. IMO what you are doing is leaving them at the mercy of the BG’s.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Any gun carried for self defense should be fully loaded
    with a round chambered and be in a sturdy holster.
    If it has a manual safety that safety should be ON.

Of course we also assume you have practiced firing and
    operation of your weapon.

Remember - Guns don't do Stupid things -
    People do Stupid things with Guns.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post

Any gun carried for self defense should be fully loaded
    If it has a manual safety that safety should be ON.

Of course we also assume you have practiced firing and
    operation of your weapon.

Remember - Guns don't do Stupid things -
    People do Stupid things with Guns.

I am sorry for asking, but could you please explain the reason on which you base that statement?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I understand your concern very well, but I do not think that what you are doing is the real solution to the problem. What should happen if for example you stop at the red light and a BG attacks you when you are sitting in the car with an unloaded firearm? Will you then be able to protect your wife and your child? Is AZ nowadays so safe that it could never happen? IMO, what you are doing is not protecting your family. IMO what you are doing is leaving them at the mercy of the BGs.
    I have to agree with GM here. UNloading your firearm is a dangerous road to travel indeed.

If you are concerned about your child getting "handsy" and accidentally discharging the firearm, then perhaps it is time to have a talk with your child about firearm safety, the fact that you carry and the dangers of carrying. If he/she is too young, then perhaps you need to upgrade to a more secure holster. If he/she cannot access the trigger, then he/she cannot discharge the firearm.

I do agree that the safety should be on, but that is just my oppinion, and I do train to disengage the safety with my draw, so, I see zero delay in my draw due to the safety being engaged.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Find your comfort level and trust your instincts.

PHB
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Find your comfort level and trust your instincts.
    +1 and keep your awareness level up.

I understand your feelings I have been their.

Stay Safe
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

Senior Moderator
    I still consider myself a new mother. My son is 19 months old now and he is my first. To some who have many children older than myself I am a baby much less a baby's mother but that's beside the point.

I often wondered how my carry practices would change once I had children and it was interesting to see exactly what did happen once my son was born.

I agree with AKsrule when he said,
    "Any gun carried for self defense should be fully loaded
    If it has a manual safety that safety should be ON."

A gun without a round in the chamber is an empty gun and if your gun is used for self defense, if you need it you need it loaded and ready.

If you know that your firearm is safe and unable to go off then I would ask you to turn your attention to the devices you trust to hold your firearm and keep your firearm away from the curious fingers of your child (i.e. your holster, center console, lock box, safe, etc) and the rules you have in place to keep your child safe from any firearms accidents.

I also agree that if a firearm has a safety it should be used. It's a good, safe practice.

A truth I think we all can agree upon is that a gun that is handled more often has a higher chance of being fired unintentionally than a firearm that is not played with.

Sounds reasonable, right?

If you have a carry system that allows you to handle the firearm as little as possible (especially around your children) than this means that you have a less likely chance of it ever going off around your children.

As I relearned how to carry around my baby I learned that my ideas and fears had little to do with the mechanics of my firearm and everything to do with my attitudes about how I handled firearms around my child and the equipment I trusted to keep those firearms from my child.

Let me start by saying that I know my firearm is safe. I know that only a pull of the trigger will result in a bang and it is my responsibility to ensure that the trigger of my firearm stays safely guarded unless I intentionally place my finger within the trigger guard with the purpose of firing the gun.

However, we all know (as you pointed out) that accidents happen.

So what can I do to cut down on accidents.

One: I can handle my firearms as little as possible when not intending to shoot them.

If I am not at the range or cleaning my gun it almost NEVER comes out of the holster. I have a holster that allows me to remove it from my belt without taking off my belt and that means I can easily snap it on and snap it off and never have to unholster the firearm. This cuts down on unnecessary folding of the firearm. Just think, every time you load and unload your firearm (especially in the presence of your child) you are upping the odds of an accident. The less you handle your firearm the better.

Two: The equipment I use to store and hold my firearms is top notch.

A cheap holster that allows your firearm to fall out or does not protect the trigger is not a holster that should be used around children (in my opinion).

When you add children to the mix you add grabbing, tripping, carrying, pulling, tugging, climbing, and so much more to the mix. You have eager, curious hands touching you and holding you in ways you never had before. The equipment you use to secure your firearm on your person should be resistant to the prying of innocent (and not so innocent) hands.

A holster should be molded and made for the firearm and completely engulfing the trigger guard. It should be rigid enough so that if it is pulled or bent it will not provide any access to the trigger. It should hold the firearm securely and provide natural retention. A holster with a retention device can add an extra level of security if desired.

Any boxes or containers I use are lockable so as to keep him away from harm or at least in an unacceptable place.

I am constantly evaluating his abilities and my decisions to see if/when it is time to change to a safer method of carry or storing.

Three: I will not handle (load, unload, press check) a firearm in the presence of my child.

If I am getting armed I do it in a place separate from my child. Children can grab, jump, fall, or do a million other things to distract you from making your firearm safe. Even something as mundane as loading and unloaded your firearm in the presence of your child could mean a distracted moment where you forget to take the last round out of the chamber or forget to engage a safety. You should not have your attention torn.

I put my child in a safe, separate place. I go to my firearm, make it ready, holster it, make any adjustments needed and then go back to my child. I do not touch my firearm again (unless needed, of course) until I am ready to take it off when I secure my child in a safe place, leave and make my firearm safe off of my person.

I thought that I would have more qualms about my child being near my gun but after taking these few simple steps I have realized that he is as safe around my firearm as I am.

He cannot unholster my gun. He cannot get to the trigger. Nothing can slip within the trigger guard. The gun is not handled around him and due respect is given to the handling so that mistakes are not made. My firearms are of a good quality and in great working order and checked often. We are safe.

Most of the time I find the mental fall outs are from the social ideals that say children should never be near a gun. As much as we know how silly it all is it still gets to us and we sometimes wonder how bad we really are for having a firearm within 3, 2, 1 or less feet from our children.

The truth of the matter, of course, is that the safety of our children in regards to the firearms we carry has almost nothing to do with the mechanics of the firearms themselves but rather with the responsibility and care with which handle both or guns and our children.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    As a father with grown children and now a grandfather, I completely understand where you are coming from. Do what you think is right, if that is carrying without a round chambered so be it, nothing wrong with that if that's what makes you feel better about the situation.

Just do what you feel is right is all I can say.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Sponsored Links