My first CCP experience with an LEO (Ohio)

This is a discussion on My first CCP experience with an LEO (Ohio) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went grocery shopping late last night (early this morning), and with it being a holiday weekend, the police were everywhere! Driving through Euclid, OH ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first CCP experience with an LEO (Ohio)

I went grocery shopping late last night (early this morning), and with it being a holiday weekend, the police were everywhere! Driving through Euclid, OH on my way home, there was a DUI Check Zone. Euclid doesn't just do this around holidays. They do it at random times throughout the year, and I think it's a good practice. Anyway, I pulled between the last pair of officers standing in line. They stand across from one another, so they can both shine their lights in either side of your car. The officer on the driver's side asked me how I was doing, where I was going/coming from. I answered everything and said, "I also need to advise I have a permit to carry concealed, and I'm doing so right now on my passenger seat." He then smiled and said, "That's awesome! I like to see people exercising their rights! Have a safe weekend!"

It was my first time being in a LEO's presence while armed! I was nervous, for some reason, so I forgot to keep my hands on the wheel. They were folded in my lap, but he didn't say anything! Oops! Otherwise, I think it went well!

GM
    That sounds very good! I have been stopped a couple of times and the LEOs were always very polite and professional.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by langlebl View Post
    ... The officer on the driver's side asked me how I was doing, where I was going/coming from...
    "Fine. Thank you.

North.

South.

Here's my Lic. and CC card."

Sorry. Been detained before for 45min on suspicion of DUI coming home from school (night classes) because the initial LEO rides a motorcycle, but has no skill, and thought I was drunk because I took a left turn at a cross street at the posted 30mph, on a full dresser, drug peg and pipe, yet still managed to box the turn and not cut the corner or swing wide into the park lane. The third time I answered the same questions it got a little old (including "No" to the "Have you been drinking tonight?"). Especially with the 3 other cruisers/officers (the entire night shift for my 1 square mile city) surrounding me and the "What were you doing there?" to my answer of "Coming home from school."

I blew a 0.0 on his breathalyzer which made him even more agitated. Yes I was calm and courteous the entire time.

I need to get a patch that says "Posted - No Fishing Nuevo - sin pesca
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    "Fine. Thank you.

North.

South.

Here's my Lic. and CC card."

Sorry. Been detained before for 45min on suspicion of DUI coming home from school (night classes) because the initial LEO rides a motorcycle, but has no skill, and thought I was drunk because I took a left turn at a cross street at the posted 30mph, on a full dresser, drug peg and pipe, yet still managed to box the turn and not cut the corner or swing wide into the park lane. The third time I answered the same questions it got a little old (including "No" to the "Have you been drinking tonight?"). Especially with the 3 other cruisers/officers (the entire night shift for my 1 square mile city) surrounding me and the "What were you doing there?" to my answer of "Coming home from school."

I blew a 0.0 on his breathalyzer which made him even more agitated. Yes I was calm and courteous the entire time.

I need to get a patch that says "Posted - No Fishing Nuevo - sin pesca
    So, you take a 90deg turn at 30mph in town, late at night, sparks flying since you're dragging "peg and pipe", and it's the cop's fault you got pulled over because they're "fishing" for DUI's. Well you know what? I'd have pulled you over, too, and never mind DUI - reckless driving and speed too fast for conditions are the first things that come to mind - but you'd have gotten the same questions and breathalyzer test from just about any cop given the circumstances and time of day.

Don't complain when your behavior attracts the attention of the law, that's your fault, not their's.

langlebl -
    Sounds like you handled it fine and the cops did too.

Thanks, WC! Sticks, it sounds like you're jaded! I understand! I'm sure if you look at things from the LEO's perspective, you can understand why he pulled you over. Now, you said you would answer the questions and hand your license and CCW? I would say you shouldn't reach for anything unless they ask you to. Especially in my situation, because they're already at the car looking in. If they pull you over, it will take them a moment to get to the car, so maybe then, but I just can't see moving my hands around the car for anything. The cops are probably already nervous, because they don't know what you have planned. Reaching around the car for that, in my case, could have been deadly!

There comes a point where you switch from "DUI" to "Wreckless/Careless" when it is clearly apparent that it is not a DUI issue.

I am not criticizing the officer(s) (really... 4 officers for a single rider?) for doing a justified stop. But 45 minuets worth when the breathalyzer was done at 20 min, and I am 150 feet from my garage, a resident for 9 years with no history of calls to the house, and no wants/warrants?

Sorry. Small inner city town. We get the rookies and the power trip LEOs that can't get on with the bigger cities. Bottom of the barrel so to speak.

I have no problem with roadside checkpoints, and am not bashing LEOs in general. I just have a distaste for "excessive", extended fishing trips when there is nothing to catch, and "Cartman Syndrome".

In 24 years of MV operation on the public roads, that marked my 8th stop (2 expired plates - had not put the tag on, 1 missing plate, 1 "You're not the guy were looking for", rest were legit traffic violations), and only 3 citations.

Back OT -

It is always good to hear that an officer does not freak out when a CC comes into play.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Thanks, WC! Sticks, it sounds like you're jaded! I understand! I'm sure if you look at things from the LEO's perspective, you can understand why he pulled you over. Now, you said you would answer the questions and hand your license and CCW? I would say you shouldn't reach for anything unless they ask you to. Especially in my situation, because they're already at the car looking in. If they pull you over, it will take them a moment to get to the car, so maybe then, but I just can't see moving my hands around the car for anything. The cops are probably already nervous, because they don't know what you have planned. Reaching around the car for that, in my case, could have been deadly!
    In the OP situation...Need to notify, done textbook. I started "glued hands on the wheel, and meat pop-sickle" when I got my CC.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    To the OP: sounds like it went well. The libertarian leanings in me cringe at government checkpoints demanding to know where I am coming from and where I am going. Without probable cause I really feel like these kinds of checkpoints are a violation of the 4th Amendment.

That said, glad your encounter went smoothly.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    To the OP: sounds like it went well. The libertarian leanings in me cringe at government checkpoints demanding to know where I am coming from and where I am going. Without probable cause I really feel like these kinds of checkpoints are a violation of the 4th Amendment.

That said, glad your encounter went smoothly.

I think they just ask you those questions to get you talking so they can tell if you have been drinking or not. They're probably trying to smell for alcohol on your breath and check for slurred speech.

I think they just ask you those questions to get you talking so they can tell if you have been drinking or not. They're probably trying to smell for alcohol on your breath and check for slurred speech.
    I NEVER drink when I carry, and I carry 99% of the time when I leave the house.

I'm not interested in having that sort of "conversation" that can't disclose a non-existent condition.
    Last edited by Deanimator; July 3rd, 2010 at 03:01 PM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here's my Dl and proof of insur. That's all I need to present to lawfully operate a motor vehicle. No where does it state I have to file a travel plan with anyone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad you had a non-event, at the "Your papers, please!" check point.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

..officer on the driver's side asked me how I was doing, where I was going/coming from. I answered everything and said, "I also need to advise I have a permit to carry concealed, and I'm doing so right now on my passenger seat." He then smiled and said, "That's awesome! I like to see people exercising their rights! Have a safe weekend!"

It was my first time being in a LEO's presence while armed! I was nervous, for some reason, so I forgot to keep my hands on the wheel. They were folded in my lap, but he didn't say anything! Oops! Otherwise, I think it went well!
    You are a very Lucky Man, or you had it: Current Ohio Law
    In a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and has a closing mechanism such as a zipper, snap or buckle,
    on your passenger seat.

Ohio is and will remain a must notify State. The vehicle carry changes have passed the Senate but are currently held up in the House.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" Wayne LaPierre

Quote Originally Posted by elad View Post
    You are a very Lucky Man, or you had it: Current Ohio Law
    on your passenger seat.

Ohio is and will remain a must notify State. The vehicle carry changes have passed the Senate but are currently held up in the House.
    Oh yes! I did have it in a case with the clasps open, lid closed.

Langlebl, notifying them should have been the FIRST thing you did, rather than letting them start peppering you with those other questions. May seem rude but Ohio requires us to notify asap and there have been cases of LEOs trying to make a legal issue out of someone not doing the notification immediately.

Sorry, never communicated with you before and here I'm coming across as a critic. But if you'd spend time at the Ohioans For Concealed Carry or Buckeye Firearms Association forums you'll read about folks who have gotten hassled or even arrested for not notifying "fast enough".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links