How many states have hi-cap mag restrictions?

This is a discussion on How many states have hi-cap mag restrictions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of those things I should look up for myself, but this may prove interesting for others. It occurred to me that when traveling to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many states have hi-cap mag restrictions?

How many states have hi-cap mag restrictions?

One of those things I should look up for myself, but this may prove interesting for others.

It occurred to me that when traveling to other states (road trip) even though my permits may not be honored, I can still transport it, and have it with me in some fashion. If the state has hi-cap magazine restrictions, I do not have any 10 rounders for my weapon. Probably ought to pick up a few.

How many states have the restriction?

Edited to add the list - hand gun 10 rounders... CA, MA, MD, IL, HI, NJ, NY
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Cali for sure and I think Mass both have hi cap bans...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

“State Restrictions on Magazines, Chemical Sprays and Stun Guns”

High Capacity Magazine Banned or Restricted 11/27/08

If state is not listed then higher capacity magazines are legal.

California Large Capacity Magazines

With limited exceptions, California law prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing into
    the state, keeping for sale, offering or exposing for sale, giving, or lending any large capacity
    magazine. Cal. Penal Code § 12020(a)(2), (b). A "large capacity magazine" is defined as any
    ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but does not include
    any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, any feeding device that has been permanent ly
    altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds, or any tubular magazine that is
    contained in a lever* action firearm. Section 12020(c)(25). California does not ban the possession of
    large capacity magazines.

Upon a showing of good cause, the California Department of Justice may issue permits for the
    possession, transportation, or sale of large capacity ammunition magazines between a licensed
    California firearms dealer and an out* of* state customer. Section 12079(a). This requirement applies
    for only the out* of* state importation and exportation of large capacity ammunition magazines,
    including the transportation of such magazines as necessary to complete a transfer to or from an out
    of state source. See Cal. Code Regs. tit. 11, § 978.40.

Large capacity magazines may be manufactured for any federal, state, or local government or law
    enforcement agency, or for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties,
    whether on or off duty. Section 12020(b)(30). Large capacity magazines may also be purchased or
    loaned for the sole use as a motion picture, television or video prop. Section 12020(b)(31), (32)(A).
    Such magazines may also be resold to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, or the
    military, pursuant to applicable federal regulations. Section 12020(b)(32)(C).

For additional large capacity ammunition magazine regulations, see Cal. Code Regs. tit. 11, §§
    978.40*978.44.

Hawaii High Capacity Ammunition Magazines

“The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable
    ammunition magazines with a capacit y in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or capable of
    use with a pistol is prohibited." Haw. Rev. St at. § 134*8(c).

Illinois

Aurora
    (§ 29*49) bans the possession, sale, or acquisition of large capacity feeding devices
    (magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds).

Chicago
    (§ 8*20*030(i) and 8*24*025) bans the transfer, acquisition or possession of assault
    ammunition (any ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 12 rounds).

Franklin Park
    (§ 3*13G*3) bans the transfer, acquisition, possession, manufacture or distribution of assault
    ammunition (any detachable ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 16
    rounds).

Oak Park
    (§§ 27*2*1 and 27*1*2) bans the possession and sale of large capacity feeding devices
    (magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds).

Riverdale
    (§ 5.120.180 and 5.120.190) bans the possession, transfer, acquisition or manufacture of
    assault ammunition (a detachable magazine box with a capacity of “more than 35 rounds
    centerfire.”).

Maryland High Capacity Magazines
    “A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable
    magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.” Md. Criminal
    Law Code § 4*305(b). This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.
    Section 4*305(a).

Massachusetts Large Capacity Feeding Devices
    The sale, offering for sale, transfer or possession of large capacity feeding devices for assault
    weapons (as defined under Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 140, § 121), is prohibited unless such device was
    lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Ch. 140, § 131M.
    Under Massachusetts law, a “large capacity feeding device” is defined as: “(i) a fixed or detachable
    magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily
    converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a
    large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational
    Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such sect ion on
    September 13, 1994.” Ch. 140, § 121. This does not include “an attached tubular device designed to
    accept, and capable of operating only wit h, .22 caliber ammunition.” Id.
    Large capacity feeding devices designed for large capacity rifles and shotguns may be lawfully
    possessed by a holder of a Class A or B license to carry. Ch. 140, § 131(a), (b)(ii). Large capacity
    feeding devices designed for handguns may be possessed only by persons holding a Class A license
    to carry. Ch. 140, § 131(a).
    The Massachusetts Secretary of Public Safety (“Secretary”) is required to compile and publish a
    roster of large capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding devices for those firearms, as those
    weapons and devices are defined in Ch. 140, § 121. Ch. 140, § 131 3/4. The Secretary may amend
    the roster upon his or her own initiative, upon the initiative of the Gun Control Advisory Board
    under Ch. 140, § 131 1/2, or upon the petition of any person seeking to place a weapon on or
    remove a weapon from the roster. Ch. 140, § 131 3/4.

New Jersey Large Capacity Feeding Devices
    New Jersey prohibits the manufacture, transport, shipment, sale or disposal of large capacity
    ammunition magazines, unless the magazine is intended to be used for authorized military or law
    enforcement purposes. N.J. Rev. Stat § 2C:39*9h. New Jersey law defines “large capacity
    ammunition magazine” as a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more
    than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly into a semi*automatic firearm.
    Section 2C:39*1y

New York Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device
    It is a class D felony to manufacture, transport, dispose of, or possess a large capacity ammunition
    feeding device, which N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00(23) defines as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip,
    or similar device" manufactured after September 13, 1994, "that has a capacity of, or that can be
    readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition." Section 265.02.

HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE RESTRICTIONS
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

When you think about it.....are they really "high capacity" if the gun was designed to carry 12, 15, or 17 rds? This would be "normal" capacity...anything less should be called "retarded capacity" to match the intelligence level of those pols who think these kinds of laws do anything useful.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; July 3rd, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Unfortunately the stupid make the stupid laws that the smart have to follow.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Guess I don't have too much to worry about. With the possible exception of Hawaii, I'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming to visit any of the other states mentioned.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Until the wife says "We're going."
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Nope. My wife feels the same way. But if she did say "we're going," I'd still kick and scream, cry, beg, cajole and probably lose what male ego I have left trying to convince her otherwise.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

When you think about it.....are they really "high capacity" if the gun was designed to carry 12, 15, or 17 rds? This would be "normal" capacity...anything less should be called "retarded capacity" to match the intelligence level of those pols who think these kinds of laws do anything useful.
    Well put SIGguy229, I could not agree more. Perhaps the government should put restrictions on fuel tank capacity to make sure you don't drive too far before filling up again.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Guess I don't have too much to worry about. With the possible exception of Hawaii, I'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming to visit any of the other states mentioned.
    Me too. My XD case came labled as illegal in CA -something about high-capasity mag and my first thought was "who cares, I'm never going there anyway"

but I guess it is good to be on top of this stuff anyway

They missed Denver. They have a 20 RD mag limit for residence of Denver.

jfl
    20 rds is a limit I could live with, BUT ... I can't understand or agree with any such limit !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    +1.
    It actually bothers me more to hear people call regular capacity mags "hi-cap" than it does when people call mags "clips".

It's bad enough when politicians and the media use that terminology, but for carriers to use it,

Toledo's old law say's 10 max, the State law in effect should prempt it. But some web sites still will not ship mags over 10 cap. to Toledo.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" Wayne LaPierre

For Massachusetts, the ban applies to both handgun and to rifle magazines: No magazines with a greater capacity than 10 rounds, unless the magazines were manufactured prior to September, 1994. The other execption is for tube-fed .22lr magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links