Need Some Experienced Advice.

This is a discussion on Need Some Experienced Advice. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am new to this site. I am in the stage where I am trying to decide what my first everyday carry handgun will ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Experienced Advice.

Need Some Experienced Advice.

Hi, I am new to this site. I am in the stage where I am trying to decide what my first everyday carry handgun will be. I have been looking around and still am not sure what is a good deal. I figured I would ask the advise of some people with experience. I am looking for a semi auto in 45 acp probably with a 4 inch barrel and around $550. I am a big guy who lives in a state where we have to wear jackets (in fact it rained yesterday) so with the right set up I imagine that concealment will not be a major issue. So what is out there that is not a total rip off? I have picked things up and know what feels right (which is important) but I want to know what is going to last and go boom the most often. I am also not the biggest Glock fan. I like the 24/7 but hear bad things about Taurus's semi autos. Any help?

I may also consider the Ruger sr9 evev though it is a 9mm. When I have held one or read a review from a confident author I have been impressed. I like the features and the fit. I like 45 a lot and just am not sure about 9mm as a defensive weapon. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I've never had good luck with Taurus(OMO).I personally carry a Glock 30,11 rds of 45acp.That said I think Glocks,S&W M&P,Sig, H&K or any quality 1911 design.
    You have very many choices,if you can try different ones at a range to find out which one you might like that would be great.

Good luck.

As a biased XD owner, I suggest at least looking at the XD line of .45s.

The XD compact (4" barrel), XD service (4" barrel), XD tactical compact (5" barrel), XD tactical (5" barrel), and XDm 4.5" all use the same mags (the compacts can also use a smaller mag in addition to the full-size).

I can find all the XDs around here for less than $550, although they won't be that cheap at Cabella's. The XDm .45 will be over $550, but the others can be found around here in your price range if you shop around.

You have options from several makers, but I recommend at least giving the XD line a look.

signed,
    a happy XD owner X3

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    As a biased XD owner, I suggest at least looking at the XD line of .45s.

The XD compact (4" barrel), XD service (4" barrel), XD tactical (5" barrel), and XDm 4.5" all use the same mags (the compact also uses a smaller mag in addition to the full-size).

I can find all the XDs around here for less than $550, although they won't be that cheap at Cabella's. The XDm .45 won't be $550 or less, but the others can be found around here if you shop around.

You have options from several makers, but I recommend at least giving the XD line a look.

signed,
    a happy XD owner X3
    I agree. I have the XD 45 acp and i love it.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Any ranges you can go rent/try a few?
    .45 is fine. I carry a 1911. Don't discount other calibers automatically though. You might find yourself frustrated with .45 till you have some experience. Or not!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I'd suggest you look at the Smith and Wesson M&P line too.

You're best bet is to fire what you are considering. Guns feel different while you are firing them, just holding them doesn't always get it right.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Add a tick for a 1911. I carry a stainless M1911A1 from Springfield Armory and paid $550. The 5 inch barrel can be a bear if your not used to it. The Springfield XD45 has the same natural grip angle as the 1911 and the internal safeties like a Glock with the 4 inch barrel and a capacity of 14 rounds. It, however, lacks the glimmer of that stainless steel and the historical backing of the 1911 (being a weapon of war for nearly one-hundred years).

My advice, buy both.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Springfield XD45
    Rock Island Armory
    Citadel
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I really love the 1911 amazing long lasting design and great feel. I have just had some trouble finding one in my price range and not sure if it something I want to conceal. It would be a great open carry gun IMO. I have yet to fire anything from the XD line but have heard great things. I was at the gun store today and had a lengthy discussion with the guy behind the counter about the M&P series and he was a huge fan and new quite a bit as he owns two of them.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    1911, or a XDM.45, I have the .40 XDM and I absolutley love this pistol, best value for the money, unless you get a 1911, then I would go with a Springfield GI edition
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I carry a 1911 combat commander xse,before that I carried and still have a RIA 1911 compact,when I bought mine they were around 369.00,it is a good shooter and conceals easy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glock 30 is my recommendation. 11 rounds of .45 ACP and still very concealable.......You cannot hide forever....Give into the Dark Side
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Well in 45scp.. The XDm45acp 13+1 , XD45 subcompact, 1911 milspec...

Now there is ruger k345, and the FNp 45 holds 15 rds...

As for price, have to look around..

Good luck..
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

I say it again. If you want 1911 and in that price range. Start here.

http://www.rockislandarmory.com/

The Rock Island Armory Guns
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Here is another reasonable .45, at least around here.
    American Home
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links