A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich)

This is a discussion on A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great story Grady and first rate writing as well. You should submit to the shooting mag's if you aren't already writing for them! The Duke...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich)

Great story Grady and first rate writing as well. You should submit to the shooting mag's if you aren't already writing for them!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

2. Remove Ads

So! What do you do with all your extra leisure time???

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Greta story Grady. Keep em' coming!
    +10 on the story Grady!
    BTW, did the Doc ask you "is that a gun in your pocket? or are you just happy to see me?'
    I just couldn't resist it!
    Just as good as the one when you were pulled over
    Glad your Wife got her permit.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I posted in detail because I thought some might enjoy all the gun-related stuff, and also so perhaps others could benefit both from my good experiences and decisions as well as from my bad ones.

Like Dad used to say, "Try to learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself."

Just a bit of clarification: it was my daughter, Miss grady, who went to the CCW class, and not my wife, Mrs. grady. Apparently hell has NOT frozen over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

Just a bit of clarification: it was my daughter, Miss grady, who went to the CCW class, and not my wife, Mrs. grady. Apparently hell has NOT frozen over yet.
    Well if she ( Mrs Grady) wants those pesky squirrels gone, she better get packin a shootin iron
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Grady, a great read as usual! I should have taken your advice in the title to get a sandwich...I read that and have been getting more and more hungry as I went along. Now I gotta log off and find lunch....I'm starving!

All I got out of that well written epistle is that I lead a boring life! LOL!

Mine would have read, woke up went to work, came home, repeat...

Good stuff Grady and I enjoyed reading it! Now go trap that squirrel.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    They're the little long cylindrical parts that usually fit horizontally in your gun.
    It's Found on XD and XDm models, Grady,I'm guessing is missing one for the Firing pin retainer????
    http://http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disa...assembly2.html

Grady, Love to see your days are kinda LONG and very fruitful..

Well I'm glad you got to have good check ups and shooting on the 4th, and you made the day with young lady shooting your XD45..

Kudos to your Miss getting her CPL( that what we call it here in Michigan)...
    I wounder whats a boring day for you?? Oh i know chasing the squirrel...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

You should tweet man

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Mine would have read, woke up went to work, came home, repeat...
    Yeh, that sounds like what most of my days are like. Those 4 days last week were unusually busy so I thought I'd record them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Now go trap that squirrel.
    Still waiting on the trap to arrive. Maybe tomorrow's the day!

Quote Originally Posted by XDM40cal View Post
    It's Found on XD and XDm models, Grady,I'm guessing is missing one for the Firing pin retainer????
    Yeh, I think that's it. Firing pin still works fine. I guess that's why Springfield thinks part of the pin is still in place. Oh well, the mothership will fix it soon as I get it mailed to them.

I wounder whats a boring day for you??
    When I'm stuck inside the whole shift. Fortunately that doesn't happen often.

Oh i know chasing the squirrel...
    His days are numbered. *insert shark music*

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Yeh, that sounds like what most of my days are like. Those 4 days last week were unusually busy so I thought I'd record them.

Still waiting on the trap to arrive. Maybe tomorrow's the day!

Yeh, I think that's it. Firing pin still works fine. I guess that's why Springfield thinks part of the pin is still in place. Oh well, the mothership will fix it soon as I get it mailed to them.

When I'm stuck inside the whole shift. Fortunately that doesn't happen often.

His days are numbered. *insert shark music*
    Sending back to springfield for that simple job...
    XD-HS2000.com

Grady check out this site there pic for you to print, and it take about 10 to 15 mins of your time ...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    What possessed you to take all the time to type that out, wow.
    The following post will answer part of that:
    Quote Originally Posted by edclacro View Post
    Also I have been thinking about carry in the various DR office that i go to from time to time. After reading your posts I think I will make that step myself
    I have learned much from this forum due to the information others have willingly posted. After I found DC, I tried to read every post here. After 6 months of trying, I realized I couldn't read every post, but I did read a lot. And I continue to read when I can find time.

Why did I take the time to write this long one?

To give something back to the forum. I know there are many new carriers, and many others looking to carry or own a gun for the first time.

It is my belief that good men and women need to be armed to counteract the criminals who are armed. I want to have a part in helping America get armed. So when I have an encounter that may benefit others, I'll post about it if it's considered beneficial. I don't have the experience many on this forum have, but on occasion I do have experiences that I can pass on.

I want to see the honest people armed and carrying as much as possible. Perhaps my experiences may help someone else in their search for ways to carry more often, or in a more effective way, or perhaps a more comfortable way... or perhaps someone can recognize what not to say or do when driving in another state, or when getting pulled over, based on my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I have to say, however, that I am quite disappointed that you only had two pistols on you when you went to the dentist & Doctor--weren't those two lonley for all their other buds
    They are all back together now. The additional training class is over and the couple did agree to purchase 2 identical handguns, one His and one Hers. It's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Did you post pictures of these holsters?

You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen
    You are right! I'll have to wait until Miss grady returns from the coast. She called earlier tonight and said there is no oil where she is staying.

With your busy schedule, when do you find time to work?
    Ummm, uh.... errr..... okay, I'll answer what I can about that question, but I'll have to edit the rest. Sorry.

Here's my answer: I [edit].

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    And, what's a roll pin?
    Thanks to 1911PKR for answering, but I'll elaborate some. This particular pin started off as a little flat piece of metal, then was rolled into a cylinder 3mm by 16mm, then inserted into a hole in the top of the XD slide. I'll guess most guns don't have this particular roll pin in this place.

And once inserted, there is still a hole in the middle of the pin, but the pin sticks down into the slide and (I'm guessing) holds something in place, or keeps something from moving too far.

Other roll pins on other guns may have different functions, but that's my best guess on this one. It's about a 50-cent piece depending on where one buys it.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    You should submit to the shooting mag's if you aren't already writing for them!
    Thanks for the compliment, but if I had to write for a living, I'd surely starve. My life is far too boring most of the time... what's that saying... long periods of boredom interrupted by short moments of sheer terror?

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    So! What do you do with all your extra leisure time???
    Well, when I have time, I read DC of course!

Thanks for the kind words and stories. I enjoyed reading them all. I wish I had time and energy to reply to every one, but unfortunately I don't have either.

Thanks.

Sending back to springfield for that simple job...
    XD-HS2000.com

Grady check out this site there pic for you to print, and it take about 10 to 15 mins of your time ...
    Thanks for going to the trouble of finding that link, but I'm considering sending the slide back for the addition of nightsights. If I get around to doing that, I'll ask them to examine the firing pin and also replace the roll pin.

If I continue to procrastinate or change my mind about the nightsights, I will replace the pin.

All those pictures and arrows in the link make it easy to understand. Thanks!

Great post Grady, thanks for sharing. I took 3 naps while reading it, but I finally made it through.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You're the man, Grady.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links