A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich)

This is a discussion on A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The man named "Grady." Just an ordinary Joe? Or is he "The Ambassador of Gun!" I go with the latter! Great story man! I was ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich)

The man named "Grady." Just an ordinary Joe? Or is he "The Ambassador of Gun!"

I go with the latter!

Great story man! I was on the edge of my seat the whole story... Seriously... I was!

And congrats on your daughter getting her CCW! One more armed defender in the family.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Yeh, that sounds like what most of my days are like. Those 4 days last week were unusually busy so I thought I'd record them.

Still waiting on the trap to arrive. Maybe tomorrow's the day!

Yeh, I think that's it. Firing pin still works fine. I guess that's why Springfield thinks part of the pin is still in place. Oh well, the mothership will fix it soon as I get it mailed to them.

When I'm stuck inside the whole shift. Fortunately that doesn't happen often.

His days are numbered. *insert shark music*
    Thanks for going to the trouble of finding that link, but I'm considering sending the slide back for the addition of nightsights. If I get around to doing that, I'll ask them to examine the firing pin and also replace the roll pin.

If I continue to procrastinate or change my mind about the nightsights, I will replace the pin.

All those pictures and arrows in the link make it easy to understand. Thanks!
    Yep, But if your up grading to night sights then by all means...

SA Gun store is the Best in there turn around time...
    Grady, I got the link form XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! ...

I'm all was helping out a fellow XD owner..

XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

DM2
    Grady, my friend, you are the man. I really enjoyed reading this and all of your posts. I even look for them but somehow I missed this one. I too tried to read every post when I first joined DC, but I learned quickly that is not a realistic goal. But I really try not to miss one of your stories. I'm an avid reader and I love good story-tellers. If you every write a book or if you ever decide to write the story of your life, I'm first in line to purchase.

Congratulations on your daughter's CPL class. I know from reading your posts that you have been anxiously awaiting this milestone in her life. I too miss-read your post and thought it was Mrs Grady not Miss Grady. I was just about to search your posts to see if I had missed a great milestone, but you made the clarification. With your daughter joining the club, maybe your wife will feel left out and will want to become a member.

The highlight for me was how much of a friend you are. Your willingness to help people protect themselves and those they love is absolutely wonderful. Your level of patience is incredible. I must have been absent on the day they were passing out that virtue. Thank you for all that you do.

Finally, I couldn't help but notice the irony in your story. Why is it that your wife is willing to defend her garden by having you shoot the squirrel for doing what comes naturally to him, but not willing to defend her own life by being armed?

Keep up the good work Grady and keep the great stories and lessons coming.

DM2

Great to read someone has a life; here in the sandbox it is...

DAY 1
    get up
    eat bad chow
    stand watch
    eat bad chow
    go to bed

DAY 2
    Repeat DAY 1

DAY 3
    Repeat DAY 1........

Thanks for sharing your story. Was a great read! Also a good way to pass time at work :)
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

I was clean shaven before the start of reading your post. Now I have to go shave because my beard looks like your advatar. J/K Hitch I love to read the post on DC as well.

Thumbs up

Man, I really like being around gun people. I didn't know this guy from Adam, but after talking to him for just a few minutes, I really liked him.

Happy Birthday, America. Thanks for what you've given me.
    Grady,

I get that feeling when I read your posts!!

Thanks for letting us into your life, even a little.

Bill
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Great to read someone has a life; here in the sandbox it is...

DAY 1
    get up
    eat bad chow
    stand watch
    eat bad chow
    go to bed

DAY 2
    Repeat DAY 1

DAY 3
    Repeat DAY 1........
    Yep, Gady has a life, and then some If you have time, read another post by him (it's about Grady being stopped out of State) as I loved that one as well, just wish I had been a fly on the seat to listen to the entertainment

BTW F350 a HUGE THANKS for your Service!
    Better to have an uneventful day on your end, than to being flown home for 'one last time"
    Hope you stay safe over there, and come home safe

Grady, I'd love to hear more of things that go on, as you're da Man!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    I couldn't help but notice the irony in your story. Why is it that your wife is willing to defend her garden by having you shoot the squirrel for doing what comes naturally to him, but not willing to defend her own life by being armed?
    DM2, that is a great observation and point, one I hadn't really connected...

She knows how effective a gun can be in dealing with a threat, so it must be she doesn't believe there is a threat to her or our home. Perhaps if she ever grasps the threat, she'll make the leap quickly to being willing to deal with the threat.

I'll be ready. I realize it's best to let one choose their own guns, but by the time she realizes there is a threat, there may not be time for a lengthy gun-selection process.

So I've already purchased several options for her in case she ever realizes the threat, options that will at least come close to fitting her hand. I've got a couple revolvers and a couple autos for her already set aside.

I don't push her to carry or shoot (I'm still trying to get her to carry spray and lock the back door during the daytime ) but I make sure she knows of crime in the area. I hope someday she comes around.

Recently she has started putting the alarm on "instant" at night instead of "stay" once she's done outside, which means an immediate alarm if a door or window is opened instead of a 30-45 second delay. That's a huge victory in the grady house.

One teeny step at a time.

Great observation on your part. Maybe someday she'll see the irony herself, and do something about it.

SQUIRREL UPDATE
    Received the trap from Have-a-hart.

Day 1-10: Squirrel made a fool out of me. After all my bragging to Mrs. grady about how the squirrel had stayed his last weekend here, we didn't even see him on the deck. Not once.

Day 11: He comes up on the deck and walks all around the trap, totally ignoring the bait. He searches the plants for something new, then leaves. :(

I didn't do anything.

Five minutes later, he's back, walking all over, ignoring the trap and bait.

He leaves. I run out and change the bait to fresh stuff.

Nothing.

He's played me for a fool again, probably watching from the bushes and laughing at me.

Day 12-13: Nothing.

Day 14: I come home from work, and the trap is sprung. No squirrel. Nothing inside but bait. Okay, was it rain that tripped the trap trigger? Or maybe it just slipped off its catch?

Realizing my previous lost chance, I run and reset the trap with new bait.

An hour later I looked out, and I had him. He's trying to eat his way out of the metal trap, and I'm afraid he'll try all night resulting in a bloody mouth by morning.

So I drive him to a conservation area about 20 minutes away and release him.

I don't know why, but I reset the trap again. I don't expect to catch anything else on the back deck.

Day 15: I get up and leave for work. Trap is empty.

Mrs. grady calls me a little after 8 a.m. and informs me we have caught another squirrel. She even puts him under the deck for the day so he won't roast in the extreme heat.

Her showing kindness to the thief? Hmmmmm, something ain't right.

Anyway, that night I took off driving to release this squirrel in the same spot I released the other one the previous night. All is well until I get about 1/4 mile from the place.

"Road closed due to flooding." It's about 95 degrees out, my truck doesn't have air conditioning, and I'm dying from the heat. Now I get to drive about 6 miles through rush-hour traffic to get to the place from the other side.

I was able to access the same place to release this one, right by some water with hundreds? of acres of forest.

All told, I spent about 90 minutes driving in rush-hour traffic and extreme heat to perhaps join Mr. and Mrs. squirrel together. Sure hope there's some karma in there somewhere because I was purely roasted by the time it was over. And questioning my decision to not release them just out of town by the road somewhere.

Trap is still set. If the rabbits keep eating Mrs. grady's plants, the rabbits are next. I really want to wait because there are baby rabbits running around, and I don't want to separate them from the family.

Here's the first offender (no pics of the second). Perp is pictured at the scene of the crimes.

(I realize my camera skills are poor.)

HOLSTER PICS
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii
    You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen
    :) I finally got some holster pics of dukalmighty's holsters he made for me. I had him cover the auto with extra material to help keep it cleaner when I'm outside working in the heat and sweating a lot. In essense, it has dual sweatshields, both next to the body and on the outside. It serves its purpose as an outdoor holster when I expect to be doing a lot of work in dusty and/or wet locations.

This holster is so comfortable. I wear it in the appendix area, and the barrel lays right across my right thigh. The holster is even curved inward at that point, and it is barely even noticeable that I'm wearing it, even if seated for hours at a time.

The LH OWB revolver holster is a straight-drop which I have worn around 7-8 o'clock, where it is available to either hand. Duk also sent me a mirror-immage RH revolver holster. I like the minimalist qualities of these holsters which allow me to put more junk around my belt.

Retention on all holsters is excellent. I turned them upside down with guns inside and the holsters held.

Guns pictured are a S&W 5906, one of the last ones ever made (April 2008) and a Ruger SP-101.

XD-45 roll pin
    I just happened to have a long-neck punch set on hand, and was able to replace the roll pin with no problem. There was no old roll pin or roll pin fragments inside my gun.

Thanks again, XDM40cal, for the disassembly links. It was very easy to disassemble the slide following the instructions. Just... um... for anyone else replacing the roll pin or cleaning out the striker area, make sure you put the striker back in before you reinstall the roll pin. I was listening to an armedamericanradio broadcast while working on my .45, and apparently wasn't paying that close attention.

Good thing they sent more than one roll pin.

I can possibly see a problem if a roll pin comes apart in pieces and a small piece gets down inside the slide, perhaps maybe causing the striker to jam in the worst-case situation. But if the roll pin comes out as mine did, I don't see any short-term issues. Mine fired just fine nearly a hundred times.

I found some roll pins from pistolgear that look like they're made stronger than the stock roll pins. I'll be ordering some of pistolgear's roll pins as soon as some of their other things are in stock.

I know you've all seen XD-45 pics, but since I spent so much time figuring out this email-to-photoshop-thenresize-to DC thing I'll throw a few more up.

Roll pin area is visible on top rear of slide, in front of the rear site. Yes, I got it a little wet when cleaning, hence the circle of oil/cleaner on top the slide around the roll pin.

This pic highlights the rust on a couple other pins, which I addressed after I saw this pic. It shows up more in the pic than it does just from looking.

Well, that's about all the updates. Good time to quit now anyway since my head's about to explode from hosting/resizing/saving/losing/redoing for a couple hours on an ancient computer that should have been junked several years ago.

Edit: I give up on resizing those pictures. They looked perfect when I previewed them, now they look too big on my screen.

I give up. :(

Thanks for the update and pics Grady.
    You're far more patient and kind to squirrels than I'm wired to be.
    (I have to admit though, that I have a soft spot for chipmunks.)
    Great looking holsters BTW.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Wow grady, that's a whole lotta trouble for a couple of rodents. Somebody at PETA sure is proud of ya but, maybe this whole thing is a ploy by your wife to get you and your guns to "take a long drive". Just sayin'....

The holsters look really good. Not sure I understand the dual sweat shield thing but, it's nice to have a holster customized to your needs.

Where I used to live we had a raccoon problem. After catching the first one [I] released it about 5 miles from our house. My son said that he probably beat me home. The next 5 or 6 I dropped off at a wooded creek site near where I was working. it was about 25 miles from my home. I always wondered what they said to each other when the met " John is that you ? How did you get clear over here? Let me show you the new digs."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links