A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich)

This is a discussion on A day in the life of grady (super long, you might want to bring a sandwich) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was a non-typical day, but I guess most of them are. A few things happened that might be of some interest to other concealed ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

It was a non-typical day, but I guess most of them are. A few things happened that might be of some interest to other concealed carriers. Nothing earth-shattering, but if I conceal well and don't need a gun, well, a non-earth-shattering day is a good thing.

Mostly just mundane gun stuff, but there was a lot of it, so I thought I'd share. I don't pretend to be able to reveal anything new to those of you who are experienced at carrying, but maybe someone brand new can pick up a tidbit or two here and there. So this was my day...

Dentist office
    I was the first appointment of the day. I moved my primary gun from the appendix area to the SmartCarry to lessen the chances the hygienist would bump my gun as I lay back. My secondary gun was IWB behind my left kidney.

No issues. I always carry at the dentist.

Doctor's appt
    I drove directly to the doctor's office for another scheduled appoint. I expected her to tell me to strip to my undies while she stayed in the room, so I had to make changes to my carry setup.

Last year when I visited her, I had a .38 snubby in each front pocket. I had removed my shirt and trousers with her in the room (hence the SmartCarry, IWB, and OWB holsters were out of the question), folded them up away from her, and proceeded with the appt. She never noticed the snubs in my pockets.

Couldn't do that this year because I had lent all my snubs to a friend who was providing some emergency training to a couple in distress. More on that later.

So this is how I carried: I had an old day planner that I no longer used. I removed the metal 3-ring binder part from inside, placed my .45 in an Uncle Mike's holster, and placed the holstered gun inside the day planner. It was a good fit. I stuck a few papers in the outer sleeve for visual effects.

For my second gun I dug the Keltec .380 out of storage. I use it about once a year.

As the nurse came to the waiting room and called me, she looked at my day planner hard and just kept looking at it. Hasn't she ever seen a day planner before?

Anyway, got in the room, placed the day planner where the doc wouldn't have reason to touch it, and stacked my reading glasses, phone, and keys on top of it.

The only noteworthy thing that happened was after I took my shirt off (didn't need to take my pants off--I got the appointments mixed up), she pointed to my waist and said, "What's THAT?"

Me, finally realizing she was pointing to the handle of my TDI: "Uh, oh, that's a knife. I.. uh.. use it for work." (Yeh, THAT'S what I use it for... )
    Her: "Oh. My dad always carried a little pocket knife, every day. He was always losing it when he went to the airport because he'd forget he was carrying it."
    Me: "Yeh, that happens."

Researching for a friend
    After the appointment is finished, I'm walking to my car and I get a call from a friend. He's going into meltdown because he wants a certain gun but can't find it anywhere. He wants it badly and asks me to help.

I've got about an hour before I need to leave for my next appointment, so I hit my two favorite gunshops (no luck), then drop by home and track down several leads online, send an email to one seller, and forward the info I've found so far to my friend.

Holster maker
    We've got a lot of great holster makers on the forum, plus several up-and-coming makers. I've wanted to order from many of them, but time (waiting time) and money are always a concern. About a month ago I got tired of procrastinating on choosing a maker, so I ordered some holsters from dukalmighty since he promised quick delivery, and I contacted a local holster maker here in St. Louis for some different holsters.

Previously I had become involved with a now-defunct holster maker, and barely got my holster from him before he closed shop and stiffed some people. I didn't want to go through a long, uncertain wait again.

As I said, I'd like to have holsters from several makers on this forum, and I still expect to buy from several at some point. But due to my previous procrastination, I didn't want to get involved in any long waits.

Well, Duk got his holsters to me quickly, and I am pleased with the results. He made one for my S&W 5906, custom made with extreme cant and dust covers on both sides. In the first 3 days, I had worn it about 49 total hours, and I could barely tell I had it on. He also made me some SP-101 holsters that would allows access from either hand. He is very easy to work with, and is committed to having satisfied customers.

The other holster maker I had contacted had been playing email tag with me because I wanted a face-to-face meeting to discuss my custom order. Could have talked to him over the phone, but I'd done that route with the now-defunct holster maker, and I wanted to have a face-to-face conversation with the person making the holster.

I didn't need to get to know Dukalmighty since I've known him several years (which I could say the same for some other makers here at DC) but for this local maker, I wanted a face-to-face.

We finally got our schedules to coincide, so I drove down to South St. Louis, met him, and sat around his kitchen table discussing my holster desires. He pulled his Glock 17 out of his carry holster to show me an example of his work.

Man, I really like being around gun people. I didn't know this guy from Adam, but after talking to him for just a few minutes, I really liked him.

After we had talked for awhile, I tried to pay him a deposit on the order. He flatly refused to take any money until the order was finished. Said he didn't feel right keeping people's money if he hadn't given them a product.

Mail call
    Received 3 roll pins from Springfield Armory for my newly acquired XD, which was missing 1 roll pin. They sent me 3 for free.

I called them, thanked them, and confirmed my RMA number to send in the slide to get nightsights added.

Mrs. grady's instructions: "Get a gun and shoot him!"
    She's a gardener. Grows roses, numerous types of flowers and other plant life. Lots of color in the backyard at different times of the year. She's got several planters on the back porch with various types of plants in different stages of growth.

This squirrel has been getting bolder and bolder, eating more and more of her stuff. Lately he's been coming up onto the back porch and helping himself to whatever he likes in her planters.

She's put nets on them, which work until he decided to move them. She planted a sweet potatoe in one planter, and he dug it up and sat on the deck rail eating it while looking at her. She said he had an evil smile on his face the whole time he was eating it.

He ate her tall sunflower plants. Cut them off and left nubs.

She has observed him laying on the top horizontal board of the deck railing, flat on his stomach, his four limbs splayed out in 4 different directions, sunning himself, all the while ignoring her while she bangs on the window and sliding glass door. He will only get up and move if she opens the door and comes after him.

We have a bird feeder out in the yard. He's been stealing food from it for a long time. He would hang upside down to eat. She finally put a birdfeeder cover over it to keep him from getting the food, but now he sits on the ground and eats what the birds spill.

She has taken to throwing clay balls at him if he comes after the bird feed while she's sitting out on the deck. He goes to the other side of the tree trunk and peeks around at her, according to her.

She hates him. She told me to "get a gun and shoot him." I told her I really couldn't do that since we live in the city, but that I would get a trap, trap him, and relocate him.

I could use a BB gun or a pellet gun to get rid of the offending squirrel, but I really don't want to kill him. He's just doing what squirrels do. Plus I think there is a family of them, plus several rabbits who also eat some flowers and stuff...

So our haveaheart trap-and-release trap is on the way. Sure hope it gets here soon... Mrs. grady ain't happy. And I'm making doubly sure I don't leave any guns laying around the house.

CCW class
    Called a friend and arranged a CCW class for him. He's finally coming around I believe. A second friend is also interested in attending the same CCW class. One is a hunter, and the other grew up with guns, but neither has had a CCW permit before.

DC
    I'm already late for bed, but I finally have a chance to log onto DC, where I'm able to read for an hour and a half before calling it a day.

By this time it's well past midnight, but it's been a good day.

Day 2

Yeh, I know I said "A day in the life..." but stuff just kept on happening.

A close friend of mine has become involved in a domestic situation because it involves his relatives. Without going into details, the situation involves a child and a verifiable threat to the child's life and health. After the parents found out about it and confronted the perp, it now involves documented threats against the parents and the entire family. These threats are of armed violence being delivered upon the family while at their home.

Until this event, they had no desire or use for guns. My friend has been advising them to prepare for what could be coming. Even with what is going on, it has taken them some prodding to convince them they CAN do something about the threats if the threats come to their home. Interestingly, the wife is the one of the two who sees the threats most clearly and desires to do something for protection.

My friend has been giving them personal instruction on how to defend themselves, which includes arming themselves. Between the two of us, we've provided them multiple firearms to test and shoot, hopefully so they can find a type they are comfortable with, can learn well in a short amount of time, and then purchase what they want.

The situation may come to a head within a week or so. I realize people often recommend staying out of domestic situations, but these are his relatives, and he's not going to leave them to the wolves. And I'm going to help him and them as much as I can by providing hardware for training and/or purchase. If the couple follows my friend's recommendations, they will very likely be able to protect their family. Yes, the police are involved.

I spent 9 hours that day with my partner discussing tactics, training, hardware for the couple, guns in general, etc. Multiple visits to the gunshop were also involved.

Flashlight
    A minor thing that happened during the day involved my belt-mounted flashlight. I had just recently moved it to a new location on my belt due to the addition of a second gun on my belt. The only place available that wouldn't poke me in the back when seated was between my zipper line and my OWB appendix holster around 1 o'clock.

No big deal, but sometimes the flashlight would fall to the floor when I undid my belt because I hadn't gotten used to it being there. Undo belt, start to remove appendix holster, and SMACK as flashlight hits the floor.

Again, no big deal... until today, when the SMACK was replaced by a KERPLUNK.

Okay, time for a new flashlight anyway. And a flashlight holster. Apparently I have sacrificed my old ones to the porcelain god.

CCW class
    I lost track of time during the day and got a little behind schedule... so I drove like a bat for over 3 hours in heavy traffic, pulled into my garage (didn't even get out), loaded up Miss grady, and off we went to a CCW class. Arrived with 10 minutes to spare.

My two buddies were there, along with the following:
    1. Four bearded, tatted guys from Illinois, friendly, but dang, they looked like they could eat a box of nails and then ask for more.
    2. One biker lady from Missouri, combat-type boots, leather vest, ball cap
    3. My two buddies
    4. A Navy E-6, who smilingly chastised me for thinking she was Army. Apparently the Navy now wears brown dress shirts.
    5. A 20-something guy who looked 15.
    6. Two 40-something guys
    7. One 50-something guy
    8. Miss grady and me. I already have 2 permits, but I went to be with Miss grady, and also to see what else I could learn the second time around.

About 15 minutes into the class I spotted a revolver in the instructor's back pocket. He had on some type of tactical pants with large, loose pockets, but the revolver still printed.

At one point he said, "The only firearms allowed in this class are mine." Yeh, uh-huh, right... because you're special?

Kinda ironic because he also said he can legally carry into places that are posted. He got that right.

Later he said, "Nobody knows you're carrying a gun if you're doing it right." Yep, on that we do agree.

As I was taking notes, I recalled Pax's book in which she references many things from her notes from one of Mas Ayoob's classes. Lots of things worth documenting as being taught during class.

One thing the instructor said toward the end was, "If you get a CCW badge, you're an IDIOT!!"

Good class, but way too much info to be covered in 4 hours.

I can get another permit if I want to pay and do all the paperwork.

Miss grady is expected to have her permit in about 4 months.

all the antis who don't think we have the right to be armed. My daughter will be legally armed soon if things go as planned.

It was a good day. Got home about 10:30 PM, read DC for an hour, finally got in bed.

Day 3

I know, I know...

Got up early, loaded guns and supplies, and drove 100 miles to deliver the last parts of the family's Bug-In-Bag to be used for training and possibly otherwise in case the threats appear on their doorstep.

Helped prepare the range and supplies for another personal training session that was to be held in a few hours.

Once we were done preparing, we had some fun. We dialed in an adjustable-sights S&W 5906, test fired a new-to-me S&W 3913, and played with a Savage 62 .22LR rifle (or something like that, maybe forgot the maker). Very accurate rifle, even for blurry eyes. I can see why so many have said that "everyone needs a good .22 rifle."

Day 4

Another friend had invited me to a nearby range to give some training to a college student from Asia. I had also been trying to get this friend to the range to try different guns and calibers.

So we met up this morning and went to the range. Shot lots, numerous guns and calibers. This Asian guy, who had never fired a pistol, was a very good shot. He's going back to his home soon and will be entering the military.

My buddy and the Asian guy both got bit by the Ruger .22 a little... only once apiece. They still had fun.

Toward the end, family and friends of the host showed up. The group included 3 new shooters: a man, a woman, and a 15-year-old girl.

After shooting the .22, they all ended up down at my bench with me, my XD-9 and my XD-45.

It is such a pleasure training people who want to shoot, especially when they listen well to instruction. All 3 fit that description.

The 15-y/o girl was a special case. She wanted to shoot, but was very tentative.

She asked if she could shoot the big gun (my .45). Trying to encourage her that she could do it, I told her I knew a woman who carried a .45 every day. Didn't tell her I only sorta knew Lima here on DC...

So she shot it, and shot it some more, and then some more. When it was all said and done, she was loading and chambering the guns like a pro. All she needed was a little instruction and some encouragement.

She LOVED the .45, and she did a great job especially for her first time. I told her there was no reason she couldn't shoot it well if she had the right form, and she proved me right.

She was beaming. Best part of my day.

Her dad now wants to buy an XD for himself, as do 2 other guys who shot my XDs. The dad wasn't even aware he could carry a gun in a car without a permit. We spoke of the law, and my belief that a CCW permit is a good thing to get. Gave him my number, and expect to get together soon with him to help him get a gun, more training, and a CCW permit.

Another good day. A great day. I saw kids shooting and having fun, viewing guns to be just as normal as anything. I saw families shooting together. And we had almost the entire range to ourselves for hours.

Man, what a great day. Maybe those years of me researching and studying are paying off in other ways as well.

I can still see her face beaming as I told her what a great job she was doing. Her dad kept wanting to interject some poor advice to her as she was shooting. Afterwards I got him over to the side and recommended he give her nothing but praise for how she performed. Yeh, she sometimes leaned a little backwards when shooting, and she had a tendency to put a little too much finger on the trigger when firing, but so what? Her first time, and she did fantastic.

A cookout at the range, using an almost empty range as long as we wanted, seeing kids, families, and new shooters having a blast. On the 4th of July weekend.

Today I lived as free Americans were meant to live, and it was a fine, fine day.

It's going to be hard to top these last few days, but hey, tomorrow's coming. Maybe I'll be surprised again.

Happy Birthday, America. Thanks for what you've given me.

Such an eventful life, seems like things just keep coming up for you. You also sound like a good friend to do a lot of things with/for your buddies! Interesting read, boy would it have been awkward if you removed your pants to discover it was a different appointment... "So let's take a look at your infected ear... AH! Why are your pants off?!

VIP Member
    We have a bird feeder out in the yard. He's been stealing food from it for a long time. He would hang upside down to eat. She finally put a birdfeeder cover over it to keep him from getting the food, but now he sits on the ground and eats what the birds spill.
    I am not sure about the other damage but if you add just a bit of red pepper to the birdseed Herr Bushytail will find it quite distasteful and it will not bother or harm the birds.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Once we were done preparing, we had some fun. We dialed in an adjustable-sights S&W 5906, test fired a new-to-me S&W 3913, and played with a Savage 62 .22LR rifle (or something like that, maybe forgot the maker). Very accurate rifle, even for blurry eyes. I can see why so many have said that "everyone needs a good .22 rifle."
    My first rifle purchase was a Savage Mark II .22lr when I was 18.I still love it and use it frequently. I couldn't imagine being a gun owner and not having a .22 rifle that you liked.

And I also suggest the red pepper flakes to deter squirrels. Birds don't taste the "heat" so it doesn't bother them.

Wow Grady, you sure do lead a busy life. I got tired just reading about a day in the life of Grady.

Also, somewhere between day 2 and 3 I stopped and ate that sandwich, drank a soda and took a short nap. But was pleased to read on and see how much joy you brought to that young girls world.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Grady first off, your thread title about bringing a sandwich... You weren't kidding, I grabbed a sweet tea around the and a roast beef and cheese sandwich at 430am (right around the time I was reading mail call)... You lead a busy life my friend, but kudos to you for teaching and helping those people, ALL of them, especially the young girl at the range. If more people were like you by helping others, I think this world would be much better then what it is now.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Great story, I am trying to get my son more into the life style.#1 More awareness of life. I have taken him to the range a couple of times and have been talking to him but he is young and feels like superman. We have been shooting a Walther P22 ( his Mom's) and a Springfield .45. It just seems that to me that he isn't ready to own his own gun or really see any need to do so. I think that will come with his own maturity. Also I have been thinking about carry in the various DR office that i go to from time to time. After reading your posts I think I will make that step myself

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Greta story Grady. Keep em' coming!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Bravo Zulu. Good day(s) and better write-up.

Only went thru a quarter pot of coffee while reading. Your a very good writer BTW.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

That story beats the heck out of the Wally World Walk everyone else posts about.

Good story though

Good Job there Grady...

One of these days you and I will have to get together and do some shooting. I am also one of those guys from the republic of Illinois...minus various tatts and I don't like nails.

Paul

Dear Diary...

Interesting read. What possessed you to take all the time to type that out, wow.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Grady--I love your posts, you do a wonderful job of painting pictures with words.

I have to say, however, that I am quite disappointed that you only had two pistols on you when you went to the dentist & Doctor--weren't those two lonley for all their other buds
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Did you post pictures of these holsters?

Well, Duk got his holsters to me quickly, and I am pleased with the results. He made one for my S&W 5906, custom made with extreme cant and dust covers on both sides. In the first 3 days, I had worn it about 49 total hours, and I could barely tell I had it on. He also made me some SP-101 holsters that would allows access from either hand. He is very easy to work with, and is committed to having satisfied customers
    You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen

Seriously, I always enjoy reading your posts.

With your busy schedule, when do you find time to work?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    report!

Best part:

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    She was beaming. Best part of my day.
    I can still see her face beaming as I told her what a great job she was doing.
    A cookout at the range, using an almost empty range as long as we wanted, seeing kids, families, and new shooters having a blast. On the 4th of July weekend.

Today I lived as free Americans were meant to live, and it was a fine, fine day.

Happy Birthday, America. Thanks for what you've given me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links