Question about Ohio

Question about Ohio

This is a discussion on Question about Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the situation I've been running through my head lately: I'm a regional truck driver (less than 500 miles from home normally that is) and ...

Thread: Question about Ohio

Question about Ohio

Here's the situation I've been running through my head lately:

I'm a regional truck driver (less than 500 miles from home normally that is) and I carry a pistol on me while out on the road (Legal in all of the states I travel in on my permit,except for Illinois of course.)

The last three weeks, I've been going in and out of Columbus, Ohio. I know I have to notify LEO if I'm carrying, so thats where my question comes from.

If I pull into a weigh station, and am ordered to park and bring my paperwork inside, I already know I'll disarm as well as remove my spare magazines before going in, but do I need to notify that there's a firearm in my truck if they're not inspecting it as well?

Basically, if I'm not carrying, I know I don't need to notify when I'm in the station, but if they then want to inspect my truck, and I notify them immediately at that point, would I be covered, or could I be charged for failing to notify for not saying it at my first contact?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I would notify even though it is in your truck. Better to be safe than sorry. Make sure you do not carry into building at weigh station. Rest area rest rooms are ok to carry in. If any other officer speaks to you other than the one you notified I would be sure to tell them also if they were not there when you notified first officer. They have the right to take your firearm while they have you stopped but they cannot keep it they have to give it back when they are done with you. Most will not take it but will ask where it is. For more info on ccw in Ohio see Buckeye Firearms Association | Defending Your Firearm Rights
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • Index page

I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice, just my opinion. When you are first stopped at the way station and given instructions, that may well be considered "for a law enforcement purpose", so I would immediately notify that I have a license to carry and am armed.

Once you leave the vehicle, with the handgun stored, there is no need to notify as you are not carrying.

From the Ohio Revised Code: 2923.12

(B) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(C)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A personís transportation or storage of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose if the firearm is not on the actorís person;

Just my take on it...

Sponsored Links