I thought the "CHLers get out of tickets" was a myth

I thought the "CHLers get out of tickets" was a myth

This is a discussion on I thought the "CHLers get out of tickets" was a myth within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had my first LEO encounter since getting my permit in April. My brother and I were booking it over to the local private ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up I thought the "CHLers get out of tickets" was a myth

So I had my first LEO encounter since getting my permit in April. My brother and I were booking it over to the local private range club for the orientation so we could join up, and I was running late. I failed to see the motorcycle deputies under the bridge shooting radar and laser. He waves me down I pull over, kill the radio, kill the engine, keep my hands where he can see them. He asks for DL, I give him my DL and CHL, and I tell him my pistol is cased in the back seat when he asks. When he asks for insurance, I told him it was in the glove compartment and I waited for him to tell me to get it before I moved. After about a minute, during which I have resigned myself to a BIG ticket, he comes back and says, "today is your lucky day...", and he says he is giving me a warning due to my positive attitude, the fact that I didn't make an excuse for my speeding, etc. Oh yeah, did I mention I was going EIGHTEEN over?!?!

If that wasn't a "CHL warning", then I have no other explanation!!!

Lack of BS, "CHL" or not, can go a long ways.

You did great and by the book in LEO's eyes. Always works best when everything is above board, honest, and respectful. Hot heads get tickets, no doubt about it.

It is not the CHL or the CFP in my case that gets you out of the ticket. It is your attitude and showing the LEO respect and not lying to someone that gets lied to all day long. That is what helps.

Less than two months ago I was pulled over for doing 72 in a 50 and was given a verbal with a promise to keep it closer to 55. I like to think my respect and honesty went a lot further than my CFP.

Perfect!! Nothin' less, nothin' more. Let's all keep that way.

I've never tried to BS a cop out of a ticket, and that's probably only the 2nd warning I've gotten in my entire life. Maybe it was coincidence... but maybe it was my procedure. I'd probably really appreciating that if I was on the other side of the window. Maybe one thing that contributes to the CHL ticket legend is the fact that most CHLers are much more aware of the proper traffic stop procedure?

You'd be surprised, it's refreshing to stop someone who interacts with respect and honesty. Most vehicle stops don't go that way.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You are one of those RARE individuals who have emerged from a close encounter with a motorcycle cop without paper to prove it. Go buy a lottery ticket!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

...or you could always drive the speed limit.

Distinguished Member
    Yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry sir, no excuse sir, in the glove compartment sir, thank you sir, have a nice day and be safe sir.

If I didn't get completely out of the ticket I almost always get a reduced speed/offense.

Cool You did good....

You did well and were rewarded for it. A warning from a motorman..... go buy the lottery ticket.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The no BS rule is the only way to fly. The LEOs have a job to do, they've heard it all before, you're busted, so just make it easy on them to do their job and they may take it easy on you.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Personally I believe you've taken every step to assure the officers safety (yours too). I think the most important one was:

"When he asks for insurance, I told him it was in the glove compartment and I waited for him to tell me to get it before I moved"

Little things like that are those that are mostly appreciated by LEOs that are just doing their jobs and at the end of the day they too want to return home to their loved ones.

Good Job!!
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

i've gotten out of a lot of tickets in the pass because I am always respectful and positive and don't make excuses. in fact the first ticket I ever received was AFTER getting my LTCP :(
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by SenileDavid View Post
    Personally I believe you've taken every step to assure the officers safety (yours too). I think the most important one was:

"When he asks for insurance, I told him it was in the glove compartment and I waited for him to tell me to get it before I moved"

Little things like that are those that are mostly appreciated by LEOs that are just doing their jobs and at the end of the day they too want to return home to their loved ones.

Good Job!!

I keep my registration and insurance in a plastic sleeve in my visor. I keeps me from rumaging around in the glove compartment. It also makes those random inspections at the gate easier.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links