Moved from Fairfax County, Va to Loudoun County, VA - Permit Question

This is a discussion on Moved from Fairfax County, Va to Loudoun County, VA - Permit Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will keep this short: * I moved from Fairfax to Loudoun * Updated my Drivers License to reflect my new address * I now ...

Thread: Moved from Fairfax County, Va to Loudoun County, VA - Permit Question

Moved from Fairfax County, Va to Loudoun County, VA - Permit Question

I will keep this short:

* I moved from Fairfax to Loudoun
    * Updated my Drivers License to reflect my new address
    * I now want my CCW Permit to reflect my NEW address

I am confused:

*Loudoun Courts told me that I have to send in my OLD permit to Fairfax and that Fairfax would issue me a new Loudoun permit. What? That don't make no sense!

* I called Fairfax Courts and was told that I have to fill out a "Request for a Duplicate Permit" form and send in my old permit. Apparently there is a week or so turn around time.

This whole thing seems very convoluted...something just does not seem right to me. Is our State Law really that stupid...making me jump though unnecessary hoops?

Can someone provide me with a step by step of what must be done?

Thank you,
    Nick

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What Loudoun County told you is correct. This is from the VSP website:

Change of Address

The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

Since you are still in NoVA I'd just go directly to the Fairfax Co. Court Clerk and do it in person. I don't put anything in the mail if I can do it in person. When mailing you have to figure at least 2 days in each direction.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    What Loudoun County told you is correct. This is from the VSP website:

Since you are still in NoVA I'd just go directly to the Fairfax Co. Court Clerk and do it in person. I don't put anything in the mail if I can do it in person. When mailing you have to figure at least 2 days in each direction.
    Well, that begs another question then. So if the OP is in Loudoun for 5 years and decides to renew, are you renewing in Loudoun, or do you have to go all the way back to Fairfax?

Agreed to the convoluted nonsense. I moved from Fairfax to Clarke around '05 and all I had to do was go to the Clarke Co office and they did the renewal there. Guess they must have changed the process since then.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    1) you don't need to do a change-of-address on your CHP -- albeit some LEOs might have a "question" about the validity of your "proper photo ID" if the address on your CHP and DL differ. These papers-in-order types need to take a chill pill and forget about it. Next we know the Antis will be wanting mandatory address change notification with felony charge if we fail to do within 24 hours.

FWIIW, I'd just save my $10.

2) If you really want to change it, you change the address in the issuing county/city. It's issued by them, it's their document, they have the background documentation on fie, and the it's is still valid for the remaining time even though you now live in a different county/city. And BTW the max charge is only $10.

3) OTOH, the renewal w/ a renewal application and full fees is a different matter. It must be done in the county/city where you live at the time of renewal. It can be based on a Virginia resident permit from any county/city -- not just where you live now. It is a new permit, for a different 5 year period.

Were you to go the the new county and renew you should do it between 180 days before and 90 days before the expiration of the one from the old county/city of residence.

Virginia State Police - Resident Concealed Handgun Permits

Persons who previously have held a Virginia resident permit shall be issued, upon application, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. The same fees and time constraints apply in the instance of renewal. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit pursuant are not be required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit; the application for the new permit may be submitted via the United States mail. The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify the applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted is incorrect.

If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.

Fingerprint impressions are not required for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to 15.2-915.3.

If a permit holder is a member of the Virginia National Guard, Armed Forces of the United States, or the Armed Forces reserves of the United States, and his five-year permit expires during an active-duty military deployment outside of the permittee's county or city of residence, such permit shall remain valid for 90 days after the end date of the deployment. In order to establish proof of continued validity of the permit, such a permittee shall carry with him and display, upon request of a law-enforcement officer, a copy of the permittee's deployment orders or other documentation from the permittee's commanding officer that order the permittee to travel outside of his county or city of residence and that indicate the start and end date of such deployment.
    Last edited by DaveH; July 5th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links