advice please ...

This is a discussion on advice please ... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am in pa. philly to be exact. 40 years young. 3 weeks ago i applied for my cc permit. ( Overly easy process here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice please ...

advice please ...

i am in pa. philly to be exact. 40 years young. 3 weeks ago i applied for my cc permit. ( Overly easy process here if you ask me )
    Any who... the ask the standard questions , one of which " have you ever been arrested " i answered "no"
    Then....... I remembered that when i was about 19 i stuck my face in front of this monster of a navy guy who was bashing his girlfriend in public. There were at least 100 people watching and he was such a pumped up muscle head no one would stop him. I could not take it any longer , stuck my face in and said ' just take it out on me" he stopped seemed to snap to , when i turned to walk away - he king kit from above and behind - im 6'3 - he hit down on the back of my head big tall angry man he was - long story short (not really but ) when the local LE shows up im on his chest going at his face pretty good. The LE were "friends' i did get charged with malicious wounding.
    The LE got the story and basically walked me in no cuffs etc .... more like friends stopping a problem .... I was a city beach lifeguard at the time and happen to know the 2 officers
    The other guy was arrested as well on what charges I do not remember -Disorderly conduct most likely ?
    I go to court .. his navel officer shows up , drops all charges ,( oh yea this is a beauty girlfriend pressing charges against me ) he states that he has a know problem beating women , and actually thanked me for stepping in and "he was being taken care of "

dismissed

this is where the - my - problem comes in - the event had slipped my mind !

i know - dont really need to be bashed here but feel free -

Philly has a 10 week wait , should i try and contact the dept. , it was 20 plus years and all charges were dropped , im pretty sure if someone is looking and this will show up? - any one have knowledge in this area ?
    i really have nothing to hide , and spotless record , no traffic tickets since i was 16 even - clean - just had a bit of blockage in my noggin
    would it be better to try and sort this out now ?

what ya think ?

2. Remove Ads

IANAL
    Well you can just wait and see if it comes up and they will ask you about it or just deny your permit and then you can try again, and explain to them what happened.
    Or you can call them and just ask them if you need to fill out the paper work again with the change or not. Something like that they may just fix your paperwork for you if you call them and explain what happened, unless its a disqualifier for a permit which I doubt it is. In my experience if you are up front with people then they will usually try to help you out, just don't lie or make it look like you were trying to hide something. JMO
    I hope it all works out for you.

This may be a non issue. I wouldn't bring it up unless you have to.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

IANAL

You're paperwork's already in the midst of the administrative process. You filled it out in good faith. I'd say let the process play itself out and don't disrupt it at this point. If charges really were dropped then all should go well. If not, then deal with it at that point through their appeals process.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

If they charges were in fact 'dismissed,' it should not be an issue. I think they're more interested in arrests leading to convictions.

Although, they may give you a hard time for 'lying' when asked about being arrested, guilty or not.

Thanks
    still sitting on the fence however ...

What ta do what ta do

My mistake my problem

Thx again !

Not sure if your still interested in any more opinions......But here it is.
    Full disclosure....and nothing less than that.If you forgot something
    contact them and disclose it....You may be denied but at least you have a clear road and not a lire,or presumed a lire.
    Then again you might be approved because you are honest.....One never knows.

Good luck....I hope it all works out for you.We always need more
    citizens armed.
    Last edited by javabum; July 6th, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
    Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Yep still have an ear here

Still on a fence ...

VIP Member
    I work for the government and I will tell you this....DON'T CALL THEM! If you filled it out in good faith let it ride. If you get caught be honest and say "oops I forgot, it was so long ago".
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

If you were arrested. You should contact them. You can explain everything. Get written Proof!

"Arrested" and "Charged" are two different things. Just because you were not in cuffs does not mean that your were not arrested, and being cuffed does not mean always means you are... You could also be cuffed while being "Detained", until they figure out whats going on.

Not telling them may look like your hiding something... you can't take it back afterward and say, that's not what I meant without looking guilty... But being upfront and honest will likely place you in better favor... Although you may have to jump though a few extra hoops.

Also, you are carrying for your protection. In the off chance you DID have to defend yourself with a Concealed Carry Firearm, you will be investigated afterward, possibly go to court to defend your actions, and what will you say when they bring it up in court...?

Your Choice. Just trying to help you make an Informed decision.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Vtl if I may ask what do you instruct

Thx for your time to comment as well

I would recommend calling them and asking them. By doing nothing you run the risk of revocation. I don't think the arrest is nearly as big a deal as honestly answering the questions, at least that's the way the Utah permit functions.

Yeti - I wouldn't think that the cops you knew would have filled any paperwork out on charging you nor arresting you. Possibly questioning is all. Not perfectly sure TBH, but I figured I'd throw in my $.02.

Let it play out. You really honestly forgot, and you can always try again.

Good luck!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never felt that asking about an "arrest" should be allowed as an arrest is not a conviction. A person under arrest is not guilty of anything until convicted. That's why most "modern" applications ask about "convictions" rather than arrests.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Vtl if I may ask what do you instruct

Thx for your time to comment as well
    NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor.

I also have Search and Rescue, EMS, Fire, Law Enforcement, and Military Background.

I'm also a native of the Philly Burbs...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links