First CCW quandary...

First CCW quandary...

This is a discussion on First CCW quandary... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so you may remember i've only had my permit a week now and i had something come up today that i had to improvise. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First CCW quandary...

Ok, so you may remember i've only had my permit a week now and i had something come up today that i had to improvise.

Me and my wife attend martial arts (Hapkido) classes 4x a week. 2x is across town so we drive, gun stays in car no problem. the other 2x is about 1/2 mile away so we walk. Well I wear my uniform so I don't change there. Went to leave today and thought.... crap. how am i going to carry over there.

Improv involved gym bag with gun in side pocket. gym bag was relativly empty... 2 cell phones, wallet, gatorade x2, maybe something else...

Anyway does anyone have a good solution for this? some thing i would like to accomplish (in order)

1) Rapid deployment
    2) Not obvious concealment
    3) Lock-ability of some sort (small local dojo offers no lockers)
    This is a minor priority because the gym is small and i can leave the bag off the mat on opposite side of door. I cant explain well it but suffice it to say that loaded gun left in bag in this small instance would be ok

ETA its a sig 229

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Belly band (depending on how big your EDC is), or a tactical conceal t-shirt. Just need an opportunity to unholster it and stow in the gym bag.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Typically i wear This uniform

http://www.tigerclaw.com/images/D/11-85KT_lg.png

With a shirt underneath. Does a belly band velcro off? or do i need to go to the changing room. I would like to avoid this but i understand changing habits around CCW.

Edit: The reason i want to avoid is most guys in my class are fellow gun nuts and all is fine but i dont want a perceptive stranger to say why does he come out of the changing room with his bag then put it over there...

Fanny pack. Might not look cool with your martial arts attire, but it would get the job done. Just unsnap and put it in your gym bag when you get there.

Cooler weather, pocket of a light jacket.
    Last edited by BugDude; July 5th, 2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add'l info
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I 'second' the fanny pack.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 on the fanny pack.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post
    Typically i wear This uniform

http://www.tigerclaw.com/images/D/11-85KT_lg.png

With a shirt underneath. Does a belly band velcro off? or do i need to go to the changing room. I would like to avoid this but i understand changing habits around CCW.

Edit: The reason i want to avoid is most guys in my class are fellow gun nuts and all is fine but i dont want a perceptive stranger to say why does he come out of the changing room with his bag then put it over there...
    Does velcro off, but the fanny pack is also a viable option.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Maxpedition makes good solutions

Dont know what your price range is, but this might work.

Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack plus FREE SHIPPING plus FREE HAT!
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

UG!!!! I was afraid of the fanny pack response.

I like this.... its a tactical fanny pack
    I think it could hold the other stuff I bring to class (cell phone wallet etc).

See the idea is that other than the gun, I don't bring a gym bag. So a fanny pack would have to be big enough to hold the p229, wallet, phone and keys. This would be a fat fanny!

Looking over that link again i found the picture where the guy is holding it. It is much larger than i first thought it was i think this would suit my needs perfectly.

I'm a newlywed so i have to run this by the finance committee, Not sure if this will get passed as an immediate need.... anything similar but cheaper?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I personally think something like a "Smartcarry" might be in order.
    SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post
    UG!!!! I was afraid of the fanny pack response.

I like this.... its a tactical fanny pack
    I think it could hold the other stuff I bring to class (cell phone wallet etc).

See the idea is that other than the gun, I don't bring a gym bag. So a fanny pack would have to be big enough to hold the p229, wallet, phone and keys. This would be a fat fanny!

Looking over that link again i found the picture where the guy is holding it. It is much larger than i first thought it was i think this would suit my needs perfectly.

I'm a newlywed so i have to run this by the finance committee, Not sure if this will get passed as an immediate need.... anything similar but cheaper?
    This might work better.

Maxpedition JUMBO Versipack plus FREE SHIPPING plus FREE HAT!

This thread may help also:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ipack-edc.html

Good luck with it.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I personally think something like a "Smartcarry" might be in order.
    SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    I'll second the SmartCarry option over the fanny pack any day, and yes, it's velcro. You'll need to hit the dressing room, but not for long.
    Say.........isn't walking down the street in your martial arts uniform sort of asking for trouble? Ever been approached by someone needing a board broken? Just kidding.
    Sometimes I can see clearly John Mclean's (Bruce Willis) application of duct tape to his Glock pistol, middle of shoulders in back in the movie Die Hard. That was just so excellent IMO.
    Sending you my best intentions on you finding the best way to do what you need to do. Always be adaptable and creative in your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    Dont know what your price range is, but this might work.

Not the "Murse" again!!

I would go with a Belly Band Holster since your martial arts atire is loose and easy accessable to draw your weapon VS Turn, Unzip and Draw. PLUS, the thing screams "MUG ME"!

IMO: You'd be better off with your gym bag idea instead of the Versipack. It doesn't "stick out" like a sore thumb.

http://bellybandccw.com/
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

I'm in a similar situation: training 2x a week in class in a dodgy part of town. The rest of my work is at home. So when I drive to class I CCW in my gym bag, leaving the zipper open enough to be able to reach and draw from it, but the gun not on top or exposed in a visible way.

After I change, I bring the bag out into the dojo and set it where I can keep an eye on it. That's just to keep the weapon secure. There's a few LEOs in my class and I assume they carry as well but I've never spotted their firearms.

Sometimes, after a tough class I've left my swords behind and either another student will keep them for me or they'll put them in a locker. The whole bushido thing sort of implies that you don't have to worry overmuch about your stuff.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'll second the SmartCarry option over the fanny pack any day, and yes, it's velcro. You'll need to hit the dressing room, but not for long.
    Say.........isn't walking down the street in your martial arts uniform sort of asking for trouble? Ever been approached by someone needing a board broken? Just kidding.
    Sometimes I can see clearly John Mclean's (Bruce Willis) application of duct tape to his Glock pistol, middle of shoulders in back in the movie Die Hard. That was just so excellent IMO.
    Sending you my best intentions on you finding the best way to do what you need to do. Always be adaptable and creative in your thinking.
    Um sorry Ram it wasn't a Glock, it was a beretta P92...

Well i have to agree with the Hip pack...
    Select Carry Pistol Pouch | Bags & Backpacks | 5.11 Tactical
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links