New to the Boards: Quesion on MA Carry Laws

This is a discussion on New to the Boards: Quesion on MA Carry Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; and I have (maybe a stupid) question... I have yet to purchase a handgun to carry, I was wondering if need be can I carry ...

Thread: New to the Boards: Quesion on MA Carry Laws

and I have (maybe a stupid) question...

I have yet to purchase a handgun to carry, I was wondering if need be can I carry a family members .45 or 9mm

please be honest and tell me if it was a stupid question. I'm currently training myself on a MKIII 22/45 for target. basically to get my aiming straight and the basics down.

thanks

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Welcome. How old are you? Do you have your permit?

Welcome to DC glad to have you. I can not comment for sure on laws in Mass. but I would think that would be acceptable. I would get on line or talk with a CC instrctor in your area, as I am sure they would know.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    also, what gun is it your looking to carry?
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

I'm 27 and I have my LTC A unrestricted

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    also, what gun is it your looking to carry?
    mainly the 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    What model 9mm is it? Are you proficient with it? I'm assuming "LTC A unrestricted" is a permit?

I personally wouldn't want to invest in holsters, mags, and time into a firearm that I don't own. The privilege of borrowed use could be taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    What model 9mm is it? Are you proficient with it? I'm assuming "LTC A unrestricted" is a permit?

I personally wouldn't want to invest in holsters, mags, and time into a firearm that I don't own. The privilege of borrowed use could be taken away.
    it's a Ruger P90 and the holster and mags are available. I'm just saying until I purchase my own to carry and If I needed to carry can I use a family members and yes LTC A unresricted is my permit (Lic To Carry "All Lawful Purposes")

Think of it this way. You borrow the relative's gun, and you're carrying it for self defense. NOW , you use it, in self defense, and BOTH of you become Co-Defendents. I don't think your relative will want that, so just save your money, and buy what you really want. It's nothing illegal about borrowing a gun within the State you reside in. It gets sticky if you're both from different States
    Just my .02 worth here.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    To answer your question, it appears you can carry a weapon that is owned by someone else. Provided the weapon is legal in MA. This came from Handgunlaw.us .

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and
    possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the
    licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles
    and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that
    the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation
    IANAL, so a quick check with the licensing authority there should be able to confirm.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Can you "purchase" it from your family member to cover your/their butt?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To answer your question, it appears you can carry a weapon that is owned by someone else. Provided the weapon is legal in MA. This came from Handgunlaw.us .

IANAL, so a quick check with the licensing authority there should be able to confirm.
    Thank you, thats the answer i was looking for...

Yes you can; There is nothing per MA statute disallowing as much.

I would not though suggest it unless you have no other means to purchase your own firearm in the immediate; Cash, Credit card, Pawn shop, etc.
    Even still I'd likely 'purchase' the gun from the person for some pre-agreed low dollar amount such as say $100 and do the paperwork to make it legal and safe for all involved.

On the off chance that you find yourself involved in a shooting, because you would not draw but with intent to purposefully fire as brandishing in this state is a felony (!), you would not want to get your friend/family member into a jam over the specifics of ownership toward this gun and/or resultin he/she being subject to a _civil suit_ for having provide you with the firearm as with known intent to be kept and carried as a 'weapon'.
    To do so may not be unlawful by MA criminal law & statute, but by civil case law the world very often is less than black & white.
    Consult an attorney for more info to that end, or go to your local gun shop if not BudGunshop online and buy your own gun be it Ruger or whatever.

Personally I would do this borrow a gun action only if I had no other legal options (which you do as via chemical defense sprays) and/or I specifically had a very credible threat as against my person in the immediate.

I like my friends and family, and they have kids who need to eat just like mine.
    I'd not borrow a gun for this specific purpose no more than I would loan one out for same.

The statutes toward 'firearms' in MA can be found HERE.

- Janq is a certified instructor in MA
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sponsored Links