Suggestions for carry

This is a discussion on Suggestions for carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read the forums here for about 6 mos, I own a smith M&P 40 and a smith .380 5 shot like both. After ...

Thread: Suggestions for carry

Suggestions for carry

I have read the forums here for about 6 mos, I own a smith M&P 40 and a smith .380 5 shot like both. After reading reviews i am looking for people who own a P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 Nitron, and kimber Pro carry 2. I am not to worried about size and I am 6'4" and weight 265. 3 days a week i wear a suit and the other 2 are pants and a tie. I am open to in the waist or a shoulder holster with a jacket. I am leaning more toward the first as i can carry it over to jeans and would not require and changes in technique or holsters. I am choosing these two are they are proven and have great concealment and fit my large hands and have better grip/control. If any one has suggestions or i missed something i should consider thanks in advance...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I would sugget shooting them first, hold them, etc. See wich one you are more proficient/ can be more proficient with. Personally I'd probable lean towards the Kimber. I assume you mean S&W .38 5 shot, as in snubbie wheelgun? And you also have an M&P, so you have great taste! Why are you only set on those two particular firearms? Have you looked into other "baby 1911s" like the Springfield EMP (granted, its 9mm, not .45ACP.) ? Maybe Kahr arms?

Why do you want another carry peice? (I mean, who doesn't want one?) I mean to say, do you current ones not meet your needs?

OH and I see its your first post, so welcome!

VIP Member
    First, welcome!

I own and carry a SIG P-220R Carry. It's a big gun but very doable. To be honest though, I carry my 1911 Commander sized handguns more and my Kimber Tactical Pro II is a favorite. It's just more comfortable. I prefer IWB and primarily use a Milt Sparks VersaMax II but there are many simular holster being made by some great craftsmen like TT Gunleather, Pure Kustom and the list goes on. Any that sponsor here are top notch!

I agree with shooting different weapons before you sink a lot of bucks in a holster. Find what you really like and what you can really shoot well. Then, don't shop for a "cheap" holster. Get one that's quality and you'll be much happier and more likely to find one that works. Plus, quality holsters resell much easier!

Hope that helps a little.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I vote for the Kimber in an IWB holster. I use a PCH from Alessi Gun Holsters and love it. I almost got a Del Fatti ISP, but wasn't willing to make the wait.
    In the Marine Corps I carried one of the standard Beretta M9 service pistols in a traditional duty holster. Now it's a 1911 in a SuperTuck. I'm glad for the upgrade.

I am looking for something i wear with a suite, jeans, or just a shirt and tie. I like the IWB kimber, as I have larger hands and stand 6'4"so concealment is not a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I would sugget shooting them first, hold them, etc. See wich one you are more proficient/ can be more proficient with. Personally I'd probable lean towards the Kimber. I assume you mean S&W .38 5 shot, as in snubbie wheelgun? And you also have an M&P, so you have great taste! Why are you only set on those two particular firearms? Have you looked into other "baby 1911s" like the Springfield EMP (granted, its 9mm, not .45ACP.) ? Maybe Kahr arms?

Why do you want another carry peice? (I mean, who doesn't want one?) I mean to say, do you current ones not meet your needs?

OH and I see its your first post, so welcome!
    the plan is the .380 going to my wife, got a steal on it used with crimson grips and filled a need when i wore jeans and I tossed in the waistband with nothing else and went on my way. i have hornady +p rounds loaded. If not i will keep it in my safe as a crimson grips are a great mind game for home intruders.

Crossbreed supertuck and Springfield Champion .45 with wilson mags..

That what i want...But well have to wait till i have the extra cash..

Also there is one more, Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

You seem like a good sized guy, a 165-180lb cop shouldn't be that hard to carry around for you. I just couldn't resist sorry. honestly find what you feel the most comfortable with and go from there but remember it don't do no good if you don't carry it.

I have to wear a suit and I carry my Kimber CC 4" with no problem. I use a El Paso Saddlery holster and it's very comfortable.

Carry what you shoot best from where you can conceal/draw best.

after spending last weekend this weekend and most of the week no one has a sig in stock that i want and some have a 3-4 mos waiting list...3 places suggested a ATI firearms FX45
    Products

$369 nib for a 45, fixed sights.. going to give it a try

we shall see what happens

VIP Member
    Just took a quick look- it looks like they may import armscor stuff. If so, it isn't bad. Not the highest quality in the world, but it is something that tends to work.

Good luck with the new gun.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Why not carry the M&P 40? I'm 5'11", 175#, and can carry/conceal the full size model comfortably in a Crossbreed w. a good belt. Shouldn't be a problem for you. I like the fact that while it's a good gun, works well for me, is reliable/high capacity/night sights/etc, it's also a plastic fantastic gun. In other words, I don't have a big emotional or financial investment in it. Won't hurt my feelings if it spends 12 months in a police evidence locker.

Quote Originally Posted by smunro View Post
    I have read the forums here for about 6 mos, I own a smith M&P 40 and a smith .380 5 shot like both. After reading reviews i am looking for people who own a P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 Nitron, and kimber Pro carry 2. I am not to worried about size and I am 6'4" and weight 265. 3 days a week i wear a suit and the other 2 are pants and a tie. I am open to in the waist or a shoulder holster with a jacket. I am leaning more toward the first as i can carry it over to jeans and would not require and changes in technique or holsters. I am choosing these two are they are proven and have great concealment and fit my large hands and have better grip/control. If any one has suggestions or i missed something i should consider thanks in advance...

Links