Thanks to this forum I was prepared.

This is a discussion on Thanks to this forum I was prepared. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a rural farm area with only a single neighbor, and he is pretty far away. Last night after my wife and I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to this forum I was prepared.

I live in a rural farm area with only a single neighbor, and he is pretty far away.

Last night after my wife and I went to bed I heard a car with a hole in the muffler drive by and stop near the house. I waited and it didn't drive away.

I got up and looked through the curtains and there was a car backed into my front yard (not the driveway) and 2 males in their early 20's got out. About this time our 2 dogs started barking.

I immediately did the following:

1) Turned on the bedroom light.

2) Grabbed my M&P 9mm

3) Instructed my wife to stay in the bedroom (she already had her .22 in hand :))

4) Turned on the living room light and looked out the window.

5) Gun was pointed down towards the floor, at a slight angle away from my feet.

6) Finger was off the trigger straight out against the tigger guard.

7) I knew to stay in the house because:
    a) Castle Doctrine only protects me in the house
    b) I was safer in the house than outside

8) I instantly made the decision that if they started walking towards the house I would instruct my wife to call 911

9) If they asked to come inside to use the phone or what ever I would tell them that I had called 911 and they could wait and speak to the officer when he arrived.

10) I never considered pointing the gun at them, much less firing unless things took a drastic turn for the worse, but I was very ready.

I don't know what was going on, but they looked at the house, got in their car and drove off.

They may have been the nicest people in the world, and maybe it was an innocent stop to stretch and wake up, who knows.

In any event, I am very aware that just getting a CHL is only the first step in responsible gun ownership. Reading this forum has forced me to think about how I would handle myself in various situations, and I would like to thank all of you for that !!

You did the right thing to protect you and your wife, and everything turned out just fine.

Chances are, they weren't nice people and were looking to rob you. By you turning the lights on, they realized you were home and awake, and decided to get outta there. Not to mention the dogs barking at them probably didn't help their situation.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Good post here. Thanks for sharing. Glad nothing came of it. Seems to me like they might have had plans, but you changed them when you turned on a couple of lights.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member

Agree, chances are they weren't nice people

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    You did the right thing to protect you and your wife, and everything turned out just fine.

Chances are, they weren't nice people and were looking to rob you. By you turning the lights on, they realized you were home and awake, and decided to get outta there. Not to mention the dogs barking at them probably didn't help their situation.
    I agree with logan: "Agree, chances are they weren't nice people."

Keep an eye on your property, they might come back.

Clues they weren't good people:

1) there was a car backed into my front yard (not the driveway)

2) a car with a hole in the muffler

3) 2 males in their early 20's got out

All individually innocent, but together these raise a big yellow caution sign.

Bravo.

Handled perfectly. I don't see any mistakes or errors here at all. I only hope to do as well if the same thing happens to me. A couple of thoughts:

For one, with this much advance warning and time to prepare, it'd be nice to have a pump riot shotgun in hand. Nothing wrong with 9mm, but a shotgun really lets you "lay down the law" if necessary. This is not a criticism, just a thought. The 9mm is fine in this situation.

Second:
    If they asked to come inside to use the phone or what ever I would tell them that I had called 911 and they could wait and speak to the officer when he arrived.
    Yes. I agree. However, that would apply to "can I come inside and use your phone." I'd be on super-high alert but still reserving judgement. They might just need directions or something. Anyway, full marks and congrats on taking care of business.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Good restraint and SA, they could have been lost or they could have been casing your house to rob it, you just don't know.

I've considering having a wireless PA system on my doorbell so if its the earlier case I could ask them what they wanted, or tell them to go away nicely...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Thumbs up

Good job. You did not mention if you had any outdoor lighting such as flood lights on the coners of you residence. If you do not have them they are a inexpensive addition to your home security system. With them on and your inside lights off you can see out without being seen. I have them on the southeast and northwest corners of my house with motion sensors. This gives me 360 degree lighting coverage. Glad you have the dogs and they like to bark as this is a great warning system for you.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think you did great!
    The only thing I would have done differently is to: "keep the lights turned OFF!"

Turning the lights on "INSIDE" your house may make "you" feel more comfortable. However, it also does a few things you may NOT want to happen:

1. It gives the advantage to a potential BG by letting them know where you are located inside your home.

2. It can also allow your movement to be illuminated. (This can open you and your family members up for getting SHOT from the outside.)

3. Having an inside light "on", detrimentally affects your night vision and creates a reflextion in the window that can make it more difficult to see someone "clearly" who is outside your home in the dark.

May I suggest taking advantage of the knowledge you have about your home. Then move through the house in the dark to find the best place to observe and call 911.

If this is not possible, then I suggest turning on "OUTSIDE" lights to illuminate the BGs while you and your wife/family remain in the "concealment" that your "dark" home affords you. You also need to have a place of "cover" from which you can mount a defense should it be necessary.

Just the same, I still think you did very well; and I certainly am glad you and your wife are OK.

Me think you handled it well, wife is armed also, very good move!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think you did great!
    The only thing I would have done differently is to: "keep the lights turned OFF!"

Turning the lights on "INSIDE" your house does a few things you may NOT want to happen:

1. It gives the advantage to a potential BG by letting them know where you are located inside your home.

2. It can also allow your movement to be illuminated. (This can open you and your family members up for getting SHOT from the outside.)

3. Having an inside light "on", detrimentally affects your night vision and creates a reflextion in the window that can make it more difficult to see someone "clearly" who is outside your home in the dark.

May I suggest taking advantage of the knowledge you have about your home. Then move through the house in the dark to find the best place to observe and call 911.

If this is not possible, then I suggest turning on "OUTSIDE" lights to illuminate the BGs while you and your wife/family remain in the concealment that your "dark" home affords you. You also need to have a place of "cover" from which you can mount a defense should it be necessary.

Just the same, I still think you did very well; and I certainly am glad you and your wife are OK.
    YES!! +100
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

What these guys said.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member
    Now just kick it up a notch with a slinged shotgun yourself (with the 9mm) and something other than a 22 for your wife. :)

Glad everything is ok.

Motion sensor lights outside (front/back/sides)...let's them know that you have the attention of someone inside.

Keep inside lights off...ruins their night vision, preserves yours.

Also, you can move from room to room without being seen.

What happened? Did they leave? Walk around? Paint your house??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Nicely done! I'd image they were propably assuming that the house was empty, and don't discredit yourself in any way by wondering otherwise. It could not have gone any better for you.

Imagine if you were an unarmed home owner, hiding in you bedroom trying to get the police on the phone?! ...BUT YOU WEREN'T. YOU WERE READY!

Dogs were the first line of defense!

maybe an extra scoop of kibble in the morning?
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Thanks for all the comments.

Keeping the inside lights off and the outside lights on is a great idea, will do that the next time.

About the .22, my wife has her CHL, and feels most comfortable witht the .22. I told her to use what she is comfortable with. She can always get something bigger down the road.

As far as "Imagine if you were an unarmed home owner, hiding in you bedroom trying to get the police on the phone?! " goes:

That is EXACTLY what I would have done 1 year ago. I have never been anti-gun, but only recently have I felt the strong need to be prepared. I carry as often as possible now, and my M&P is always at the bedside.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links