There may be hope!

There may be hope!

This is a discussion on There may be hope! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this article in the Jacksonville Journal-Courier, Tues., July 6th. Sen. sees hope for concealed carry bill. Each year Sen. John O. Jones has ...

Thread: There may be hope!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar

There may be hope!

I found this article in the Jacksonville Journal-Courier, Tues., July 6th.

Sen. sees hope for concealed carry bill.

Each year Sen. John O. Jones has been in Springfield, he has introduced or co-sponsored concealed carry legislation.
    This January, he intends to introduce legislation again.
    But this time, because of a Supreme Court decision about Chicago's gun ban, Jones thinks the legislation may move forward.
    "The last few years, only two states, IL. and WI., have been without concealed carry rights," Jones said. "We've tried and tried to convince Chicago legislators that the people have the right to bear arms. The court ruling means we've been right all along."
    Jones said he supports concealed carry with provisions for training and safety.
    "The IL. Sheriff's Association supports that, and I think if someone wants to carry a gun, they should be able to do it."
    Jones said he believes more northern IL. legislators are learning about firearms and realize they can be used safely.
    "I'm working with the IL. Rifle Association and the National Rifle Association to draft the bill to give people the rights to carry a concealed weapon," Jones said.

It might be a little premature to begin the celebration, but I do think there is cause to hope. A few years ago, while at the IL. state fair in Springfield, I was told by a rep. from the IL. Rifle Assn. that the CC bill was defeated by only one vote.
    I think it would help if everyone sent a message to their IL. representatives telling them you favor a concealed carry law for IL.

Senior Moderator
    That'd be great! I hope that happens! It's about time the sheeple in charge got some gun education.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Does not State law trump city ordnance?

Would not State law trump the mayor of any city in the state?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Yeah if any law is drafted it needs to have something in common with Oklahoma. Oklahoma's Self-Defense Act explicitly states that city, county or other local laws do not trump state law.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    That would be great
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I spend more than half my waking time in IL. I would be so thankful to not stop, unholster, unload, lock up, and put it in the trunk (not to mention the reverse) when I cross the state line.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

GM
    That sounds good
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I hope it does, then i can go visit my uncle...With out locking it up in my car....
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Does not State law trump city ordnance?

Would not State law trump the mayor of any city in the state?
    I don't know, but New York City doesn't recognize a New York state permit.

The state law has to expressly state preemption of county and local ordinances. The NY law does not, so NYC gets their rules.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

There's always hope. Without hope, there is nothing but despair. You never want to be there.

Oh I'm awake now! A bad dream? No it is what it is, day to day life..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I hate to say that after living in IL for years, it is not a matter of what the downstate people want, it is a matter of what Chicago wants. And since Chicago is run by Mayor Daley, the CCW law will not pass there until he is no longer in politics in that state. Sorry.

Also, most of the laws in IL have a long tradition of including "home rule" which allows every little burg to have more stringent (and inconsistent) laws.

But hey, hope is good.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I hate to say that after living in IL for years, it is not a matter of what the downstate people want, it is a matter of what Chicago wants. And since Chicago is run by Mayor Daley, the CCW law will not pass there until he is no longer in politics in that state. Sorry.

Also, most of the laws in IL have a long tradition of including "home rule" which allows every little burg to have more stringent (and inconsistent) laws.

But hey, hope is good.
    and a Republican will never sit in a Kennedy held seat in Massachusetts either..... it can happen

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I like the idea of mandatory training/testing. You know, maybe we should have people trained and tested before they vote. Wait...I think we tried that already. It didn't work out.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links