nevada non-resident concealed carry

This is a discussion on nevada non-resident concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was told recently that with a non-resident concealed carry permit I could buy from any gun store in nevada with no cooling off period. ...

Thread: nevada non-resident concealed carry

nevada non-resident concealed carry

I was told recently that with a non-resident concealed carry permit I could buy from any gun store in nevada with no cooling off period. It didn't sound right especially coming from Kal so I thought I'd ask here.

Any thoughts on the subject appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I think federal law requires you to be a resident of the state you are in, in order to buy a firearm.

I believe you can buy longarms in another state like rifles and shotguns,but handguns will have to be shipped to an FFL in your home state for pickup
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You can purchase it in NV but it will have to be shipped to a ffl in your state on a handgun purchase and your responsible for what ever the laws are there ie background check waiting period is the gun legal etc. Long guns can normally be purchased across state lines without shipping if the resident state allows. CA does not and for awhile Cabelas wouldn't even talk with a CA res. here in NV shopping.
    A non residnet CCW will not overide this.

I live in FL, one of my sons lives in IN...I can't legally even give him a pistol if he was visiting my home...has to go through an FFL.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rspar View Post
    I was told recently that with a non-resident concealed carry permit I could buy from any gun store in nevada with no cooling off period. It didn't sound right especially coming from Kal so I thought I'd ask here.

Any thoughts on the subject appreciated.
    I do not think that is correct. I have a Nevada Id and wanted to purchase a new gun while out in Nevada to use to get my CCW last year but the cooling off period and when I was flying home timing did not work out. But the expert Kurt should chime in. I will be taking his CCW class in November. His knowledge helped me out MAJOR time.

I buy rifles all the time with no cooling off period. Handguns have to be transferred to your resident state FFL for completion of purchase and it will follow that states requirements and laws.

So it would seem I can go to Vegas and buy a long gun regardless of ccw but no handguns. It's a four hour drive and I have family there so the cooling off period doesn't really bother me. I just wasn't sure if they would sell to out of state people especially being from ca.

I just talked with my friend who works at a gun shop in NV and he emailed me this:

Since California law requires that all firearms sales be conducted through a California dealer and to be entered in to the DROS system, an unlicensed California resident cannot purchase any firearms out of state unless they are sent to a California dealer for transfer.

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Selling to you would be breaking CA law so they won't. I live in free America so that is why I haven't had issue.

Reason #105 why I would NEVER live in commiefornia

Man I may have to move back home for a while, and just live part time in in occupied ca. Thanks to all for the info.

Links