NC Veteran PTSD

NC Veteran PTSD

This is a discussion on NC Veteran PTSD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im a veteran that has been diagnosed with PTSD. Im wanting to take the Carry and coceal course here in NC. I know that North ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC Veteran PTSD

NC Veteran PTSD

Im a veteran that has been diagnosed with PTSD. Im wanting to take the Carry and coceal course here in NC. I know that North Carolina does a Mental health background check and im afraid that my application will be denied. I dont want to pay all this money for the class and application only to be denied. Does anyone here have any insight on this issue.

I think you need a lawyer, and you may find some lawyer willing to work with you and your situation. It's not adviseable to discuss the details here. May google around and see if you can dig up some precedents in your state/city to know what to expect. You may have to try the first time and see what happens. If your denied then follow with a lawyer.

In Maine if your a vet and can produce a service document (damn if I can remember the name of it) that automatically makes you elligible.
    Best of Luck!

The notes that my doctor has written says that im not homicidal. I did read about one guy that was denied his renewal but thats because his doctor said he shouldnt carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by NCTacoma09 View Post
    Im a veteran that has been diagnosed with PTSD. Im wanting to take the Carry and coceal course here in NC. I know that North Carolina does a Mental health background check and im afraid that my application will be denied. I dont want to pay all this money for the class and application only to be denied. Does anyone here have any insight on this issue.
    I wish I knew about the laws in your state. I am a Combat Veteran that has been diagnosed with PTSD as well. I carry on a "normal" if not better life with counciling and medication and both are slowly going away. As well, I am sure that there are multiple other combat veterans in your state in the same situation. Try looking up your states statues. It may tell you more. Good Luck!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by GlockLobster View Post
    I think you need a lawyer, and you may find some lawyer willing to work with you and your situation. It's not adviseable to discuss the details here. May google around and see if you can dig up some precedents in your state/city to know what to expect. You may have to try the first time and see what happens. If your denied then follow with a lawyer.

In Maine if your a vet and can produce a service document (damn if I can remember the name of it) that automatically makes you elligible.
    Best of Luck!
    DD214
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

This may help you out. Here is the exact wording of the law.

Chapter 14 - Article 54B

You should be good to go as long as the sheriffs office gets all the right info and your doctors have given favorable responses.

This pisses me off so bad sometimes, the treatment of our veterans returning from war is deplorable. I wish you the best of luck on being able to exercise your god given right to defend yourself after defending our country.

GM
    I heartily wish you good luck .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Depending on the County you live in, you may be fighting an uphill battle. Not sure about NC, but many states, as long as your treatment was not court ordered or an involuntary commitment you are not disqualified.

Another option would be a permit from another state that NC recognizes, such as FL or VA.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have a friend who is still on meds for PTSD from RVN; he did not have any problem getting his CCW here in Wayne county. I cannot verify it but have read on here that some other counties in NC try to slip in their own restrictions. Best of luck to you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

HIPAA guideline prohibits disclosure of patient information UNLESS you sign a release. Is it required for you to sign a Release of Records for your permitting process?

This concerns me greatly...as I'm sure there are veterans who are not getting the help they need (or would like to seek help) for fear of losing their 2A rights....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    This is very disconcerting. We cannot allow a catch-22 like this to disarm our war vets, nor persuade them to not seek treatment. Surely this has been addressed in some way or fashion previously?

In alabama, you have to have actually been declared mentally incompetant by a court. It sounds like your laws say the same.

(3) The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun.
    6) Is currently, or has been previously adjudicated by a court or administratively determined by a governmental agency whose decisions are subject to judicial review to be, lacking mental capacity or mentally ill. Receipt of previous consultative services or outpatient treatment alone shall not disqualify an applicant under this subdivision.
    It sounds to me like you are good, as long as your PTSD has never resulted in violence against yourself, or someone else (which would prevent your carrying anyway).
    Last edited by MSteve; July 7th, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    In alabama, you have to have actually been declared mentally incompetant by a court. It sounds like your laws say the same.

It sounds to me like you are good, as long as your PTSD has never resulted in violence against yourself, or someone else (which would prevent your carrying anyway).
    +1
    And I also hope your discharge is honorable if its going to be something you have to dispute. Good Luck!
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links