magazine storage issue

magazine storage issue

This is a discussion on magazine storage issue within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I have a glock 30 that I regularly carry, my question is about magazines. I have 6 that I rotate each month,one in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: magazine storage issue

magazine storage issue

Hello,
    I have a glock 30 that I regularly carry, my question is about magazines. I have 6 that I rotate each month,one in the weapon and 1 as a reload, never going any longer than 30 days loaded, at that point I unload ,clean and store until the next go around. Am I being overly cautious ?:

yes
    I have several magazines that have been loaded for years they function fine.
    Someone will be along shortly to explain the engineering behind it butbasically loading and unloading the magazines wears them out faster than loading them and leaving them

I wouldn't say you are being over cautious, but I would say your current routine is unnecessary. Springs only become weak with expansion and compression. Leaving a mag loaded / unloaded does nothing to weaken its spring. Therefore there isn't a need to cycle your mags IMHO.

Yes.

How often do you replace those mag springs?
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

Here is a thread about this.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-unloaded.html

Welcome.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

This question is asked almost weekly with a small variation in words... it might almost be worth posting a 'sticky' for reference.

The "executive summary" a/k/a the short answer is that ultimately it is the cycling of mags from loaded to unloaded that will weaken the springs (I avoid the use of the word 'fatigue' deliberately - that's an entirely different mechanism).

Religiously unloading your mags to "rest" their springs is a misguided exercise. If you do that to change the ammo, that's a different story, but don't do it to "save" the magazines.

For nearly every weapon fed with a detachable magazine, the mag should ultimately be considered an expendable item. Don't fall in love with your mags. You might renew them over time with replacement springs, followers and bumper pads, but if the feed lips get spread, dented or distorted, they are no longer reliable.

One approach is to reserve 2 or 3 mags exclusively for range work, so these bear the brunt of the loading/unloading cycles. Your 'duty' or carry mags remain in relatively new condition, but you absolutely need to verify their proper function through several load-n-shoot sessions.

My approach - by no means unique - is to number my mags and just rotate through them. I have 3 1911s and 2 ARs and lots of mags for each, so numbering the mags helps me keep track of 'em. Once any mag shows signs of repeated trouble, it is relegated to range use only, followed by "percussive maintenance" with a 4-pound engineer's hammer if it deteriorates further.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by da bear View Post
    Hello,
    I have a glock 30 that I regularly carry, my question is about magazines. I have 6 that I rotate each month,one in the weapon and 1 as a reload, never going any longer than 30 days loaded, at that point I unload ,clean and store until the next go around. Am I being overly cautious ?:
    You're doing just fine the way you do. Maybe more than you need to do, but who's to say. I used to be the same way. Being overly cautious pays good dividends sometimes. Are you going to ruin your mags prematurely? I doubt it.
    I ate a lot of candy and chocolate as a child. Never had a cavity to this day. I always brushed my teeth. What will wear out teeth more than anything else? A good fist fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What will wear out teeth more than anything else? A good fist fight.
    - You can also wear the enamel by brushing too much, especially with an electric toothbrush.

As for leaving magazines fully loaded, my magazines for my Glock 27 were fully loaded for over a decade. I took it to the range and there were no issues.

Mag Storage Issue?

I have G21 Mags that have not been cycled for 8 years that still have 230GR Federal Hydro's and 4 more that have Cor-Bon 185 GR DPX. I have others that I shoot at the range on a regular basis. I also have a ton of mags for my G35 that 4 of the "Social Ammo" (Cor-Bon DPX) ones do not get cycled but the other 15 do with reloads. My Twin G-19's have a total of 30 mags between them and 6 have "Social Ammo" (Cor-Bon DPX) and the rest go to the range on a regular basis. The "Social Bullits" get cycled into a group of 30 rounds per caliber when going from Social to Range ammo. No issues with push back on the bullits.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I also do not believe in bullet setback, the only reason i change carry ammo every six months is because thats about the time i start hankering to try something new for carry and carry it. right now i carry 135 grain Federal jacketed hollowpoints in my gun, next I will be carrying hornaday critical defense, which if i could find three boxes of i would carry in it all the time
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Mag springs are wear & tear items and eventually need replacing, just like light bulbs shocks. Plan on replacing them sometime in your lifetime. So many people act as if they wear out every 100 rounds. Cycle them enough and they lose their strength. A few buck for a new spring put them back in action. Dirty mags have caused more problems for me than springs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    That's quite a routine, especially the constant cleaning of clean magazines. If you're really concerned, anually or semi anually should be more than sufficient.
    BTW Welcome, I'm in Los Lunas.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Don't I feel stupid. Here I am picturing the wire rack next to the crapper with the most recent issue of "Combat Handguns" on top.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I also do not believe in bullet setback...
    Wow... you don't believe that it happens, or you don't believe it's a problem?

If the former, I'll try to find a couple of my .45 rounds that I could nickname "shorty"and show you some pics.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by da bear View Post
    Hello,
    Not if your an excessive compulsive ........... Just playing with ya !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links