Flying to Dayton Ohio

Flying to Dayton Ohio

This is a discussion on Flying to Dayton Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All. Flying to Dayton from Seattle via Chicago Friday for a friend's wedding. My wife does not want me to carry. I ALWAYS carry, ...

Thread: Flying to Dayton Ohio

Flying to Dayton Ohio

Hi All. Flying to Dayton from Seattle via Chicago Friday for a friend's wedding. My wife does not want me to carry.

I ALWAYS carry, so I want to in Dayton as well.

My question for you Ohio experts is whether it is worth for me to bring my gun? With all of the restricted sites like restaurants will my gun spend most of it's time in the safe in my room? Is the banquet hall in the hotel restricted? Is Dayton safe enough to just go without?

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Any town in America is relatively safe. Especially if you don't go out late at night, carouse, hang at clubs, try to buy drugs, or visit dodgy areas. I certainly wouldn't consider an unarmed visit to Dayton, Ohio as spinning the roulette wheel of death.

[Yes, it could happen anywhere, at anytime.]

If your flight connection is interrupted in Chicago or you are the victim of a weather delay (not uncommon at O'Hare/Midway), you could be getting your gun handed back to you via your luggage in a VERY unfriendly state/city with draconian gun laws.

For specifics on Ohio carry and reciprocity, see the handgunlaw.us site linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    Hi All. Flying to Dayton from Seattle via Chicago Friday for a friend's wedding. My wife does not want me to carry.

I ALWAYS carry, so I want to in Dayton as well.

My question for you Ohio experts is whether it is worth for me to bring my gun? With all of the restricted sites like restaurants will my gun spend most of it's time in the safe in my room? Is the banquet hall in the hotel restricted? Is Dayton safe enough to just go without?

Thanks for your help!

Dave
    1. "Restaurants" aren't prohibited. Establishments which serve liquor by the drink are prohibited, be they bars or restaurants.

2. I don't know about Dayton, but MOST of the businesses where I live are NOT posted, with the exception of some malls owned by a company called Stark.

None of the fast food restaurants is.
    None of the non-liquor serving restaurants, like Bob Evans is.
    None of the banks in my town are posted.
    Our new mall (West Gate) is not posted.

It's easier to name the places which are posted than the ones which aren't.

Having a firearm concealed in your vehicle in a posted parking lot is civil trespass, but only if they see it. If asked to leave, you must. Don't go waving your firearm around and it won't be seen and you won't be asked.

Download the Attorney General's CCW book and decide if you want to carry here:

Ohio Attorney General's CCW Book

Thanks Mad, your response gave me a good laugh this morning! I agree that going without a firearm is not "spinning the roulette wheel of death" (i think i will keep that phrase for later use) almost anywhere in the US.

Deanimator, your reply is helpful. I had already read the AG's booklet, but was concerned about what I had heard from others about the restrictions, since we will be eating out at night, etc.

Deanimator, your reply is helpful. I had already read the AG's booklet, but was concerned about what I had heard from others about the restrictions, since we will be eating out at night, etc.
    The restrictions on carry in Ohio are often wildly exaggerated, usually by people making excuses for why they don't have a CHL.

As long as you have a closabe center console or glove box, you're good to go in 99% of places. If you can't take it inside, lock it in the car.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    As you are going to a wedding, I assume it will be in a church? Church carry is prohibited unless expressly allowed by the specific church. Also, assuming you are renting a car Ohio is a must notify state. I live across the border and am in Ohio several times a week, the no carry in establishments that serve alcohol is a real PITA. That being said, I would carry where possible and I would want it in my hotel room at night.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Ditto what was said above about the possibility of getting stuck in Chicago. The biggest problem I see for you here in Ohio is the church and restaurants that serve alcohol. The restaurants are not posted, so you don't always know before hand if a restaurant serves alcohol or not. In fact, most decent restaurants DO serve alcohol, and are therefore off limits if you are carrying. Most fast food places are OK, as is Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel. Most other places serve alcolol or at least beer, so be careful. For example, Chipolte's serves beer, so is a no-no if carrying. If in doubt, lock it up in the car. A lot of people are trying to get the law in Ohio changed, and a bill to do so passed the state senate, but the house went on their summer recess before taking any action on it. At any rate, Dayton is relatively safe, just like most places, as long as you aren't in some of the more questionable neighborhoods or out late at night. Just keep your SA sharp, and enjoy your time in OH.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

you can be safe by avoiding going out at night and use common sense you would survive dayton. in a matter of fact you can survive any town. the ccw laws a bit stirct but also long you do not carry where there is a no gun sign, notify LEO, stay away from resturants that serve liqour, airports, corts rooms, etc you should be fine. the best would be to download and read the booklet below

2009 Concealed Carry Laws Manual

Thanks all. I decided I am going to go ahead and carry on the trip. I read the state handbook and will lock the gun in the car if needed.

The restaurant issue does look like a hassle, but I will just have to deal with it.

Dave

Pray for good weather over Chicago.

DO IT

Do carry you. will be fine .Dayton has a high crime rate .Be safe
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks all. I decided I am going to go ahead and carry on the trip. I read the state handbook and will lock the gun in the car if needed.

The restaurant issue does look like a hassle, but I will just have to deal with it.

Dave
    Two tips:

1. I don't recall if you said what gun you'd be taking. If you're going to carry on your body in a vehicle, your gun MUST be in a holster. A pocket holster is acceptable for this. A guy recently got arrested for using a "ClipDraw".

2. If I know I'm not going to be able to carry at my destination, I put my firearm in the glove box BEFORE I start out. That way it's still reasonably accessible to me, but nobody sees me leave a gun unattended in a vehicle. I rearm after reentering the vehicle.

Made the trip without problem. Brought the G36 and P3at bug. Haven't flown in a while, but was surprised when no one opened the gun case to inspect. They just said ok and took the bag.

Made it through Chicago and Dallas with no problems.

Thanks again for the advice.

BTW, I actually liked Dayton.

Ironically I just flew into and out of the Dayton airport this last weekend with a firearm in my checked baggage, no problems on either end. Although since Dayton is small they asked me to stay in the area while the TSA x-rayed the bag. Guy at the scanner said "That looks like a .45, cool" and that was that. Flying with guns usually isn't a big deal as long as you are in a state with good gun laws. But ya ever notice how our checked bag seems to be one of the last ones to go onto the belt when you have a firearm in it? I think the gun gods like messing with people like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It's funny that you say that about the luggage, Buckeye. I have actually had the opposite when I fly with my gun; it almost always has come out early, until this flight, when it came out at the end.

This is not on topic, but after I flew with my BUG, I wonder if anyone else travels with their main carry piece, plus a BUG? Having the BUG was nice a couple of times on the trip when carrying the G36 was not an option, but no problem with the P3AT in the pocket.

Sponsored Links