Concealing a Springfield XDm- suggestions?

This is a discussion on Concealing a Springfield XDm- suggestions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Living in TX, clothing is often minimal and while I don't wear what a local biker does (a t back thong as he rides around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealing a Springfield XDm- suggestions?

Concealing a Springfield XDm- suggestions?

Living in TX, clothing is often minimal and while I don't wear what a local biker does (a t back thong as he rides around the neighborhood) I do wear tshirts or thin button downs mostly. My sig p238 is easy to carry and conceal but I'm looking at some options for "winter gun" for the few months that I can cover a little bit more.

Are any of you carrying a XD or XDm? I was looking at the 9 with its 19round mag especially since I will eventually get a 1911 for my 45 (still researching). the 40S&W is also under consideration. is a crossbreed supertuck going to require i buy pants 3 sizes to big and look like I have a small child under my shirt?

2. Remove Ads

I have an XD9 Service with the 4inch barrel (16rd mag), and it conceals fairly well (and fairly easily) in a Comptac Minotaur, which is similar in design to the Crossbreed supertuck. You'll need a little room around the waist, but depending on how snug you like your pants, your current size might be just fine. If you know someone who has one you could borrow to try it out, that's always a nice option.

It's really important to have a good stiff gun belt to support it, with a soft belt it will sag and feel loose.

i am a big guy 6' 2" 475 lbs when i conceal carry my xdm i use uncle mike's iwb size 5 and i wear it at the 2 o' colck position and conceal very well but my body type may be different then yours. the best way to conceal any weapon would be iwb or appendix carry. smart carry would be a good option you might want to look into.

some holsster i suggest to look into are
    smartcarry
    SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SuperTuck Deluxe
    Minotaur/M-TAC
    Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

I carry a full-size (4.5" barrel) XDm .40s&w every day. It was tough to carry at first, but once I finally bought a supertuck, it's sooooo comfortable.

I cant imagine carrying any other way. I carry at about 3:30 with a decent cant, and even under regular t-shirts (not a huge baggy t-shirt, normal size) it cannot be seen.

I have a 34" waist, but I buy 36" pants because they fit my legs better. This allowed a perfect fit for the supertuck.

As far as which caliber to get, buy the .40!!! With the 40, you have the option of buying a 9mm conversion barrel or a .357sig conversion barrel for only ~$150. With the 9mm, you are stuck with 9mm. With a .40 you can carry the more powerful ammo and swap to the 9mm barrel for cheaper shooting at the range.

Oh i forgot to add, if it matters I'm about 6'2" and 215lbs.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    XDM40 & Supertuck Deluxe= Match made in heaven.

As with "ANY" IWB holster, you will most likely need to go up "one" size (NOT "3" ) in your pants and shirt. (It's part of the CC lifestyle; so you might as well get used to it.)

You will also need to get a good "gun" belt. (maybe two) Depending on body style, CC'ing an XDM will also require you to wear your holster in a full or patial cant.

I carry a Sig P228 in a Comp-Tac, C-Tac IWB holster. The P228 (1.5" wide) is thicker in width than the XDM (1.28"). I can do it in my normal size jeans, which fit properly. I "can"...but would recommend 1 size up, or something with some stretch in the waist. I bought a few pairs of cargo shorts from LA Police Gear that have a few inches of elastic on the sides. They fit with out the gun, and still fit comfortably with it.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    I carry a full-size (4.5" barrel) XDm .40s&w every day. It was tough to carry at first, but once I finally bought a supertuck, it's sooooo comfortable.

I cant imagine carrying any other way. I carry at about 3:30 with a decent cant, and even under regular t-shirts (not a huge baggy t-shirt, normal size) it cannot be seen.

I have a 34" waist, but I buy 36" pants because they fit my legs better. This allowed a perfect fit for the supertuck.

As far as which caliber to get, buy the .40!!! With the 40, you have the option of buying a 9mm conversion barrel or a .357sig conversion barrel for only ~$150. With the 9mm, you are stuck with 9mm. With a .40 you can carry the more powerful ammo and swap to the 9mm barrel for cheaper shooting at the range.

Oh i forgot to add, if it matters I'm about 6'2" and 215lbs.
    was considering the 3.8 barrel for the 9 but wouldnt do that with the 40. sounds like youre carrying what i likely will be in the same holster... im 6' 230lbs. ive shot the xd9 and have shot a sig p229 40 and was fine with the recoil- if its comparable ill probably be going this route. didnt realize you could switch to the 9 barrel in the 40 option... awesome thanks.

have you had the trigger worked at all? i didnt like the spongy/long trigger on the xd9 i shot and was looking at getting it set up with a springer kit asap once i buy.

ctac holster looks nice as well.
    Last edited by W42; July 8th, 2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added

Get a good belt and a crossbreed supertuck and you'll have no issues. My XD9 disappears!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

VIP Member
    Either the Comp-Tac MTAC or the Cross Breed Supertuck would be the way to go for IWB carry. I carry my XD45 4" in a MTAC and find it very comfortable. IMO the MTAC has an advantage with it's clips being height adjustable. The MTAC also gives you the option of buying different kydex bodies, if you want to use it for a different gun. It's a Spring, Texas company, so you'll have to pay sales tax.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

XD and or XDm ....

Here is the XDm 40 in a crossbreed..

XD40sc in crossbreed.

The only other holster i would get .Adams Holsters
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Holsters by RGrizzle

Southern Draw

S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Nice 1911 there^^^^
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    XDM40 & Supertuck Deluxe= Match made in heaven.

As with "ANY" IWB holster, you will most likely need to go up "one" size (NOT "3" ) in your pants and shirt. (It's part of the CC lifestyle; so you might as well get used to it.)

You will also need to get a good "gun" belt. (maybe two) Depending on body style, CC'ing an XDM will also require you to wear your holster in a full or patial cant.
    +1
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

Here in Tennessee it has been quite hot as of late. I carry my XDM9, 3.8 with a crossbreed supertuck combat cut IWB while wearing cargo shorts and t-shirt with no printing issues at all and I didn't have to buy any larger waistband size either. Once you adjust it to the cant you want and wear it for a little while you'll forget it's there.

I carry an XD 45 Service 4" with a PureKustom holster. I can IWB at 3 o'clock or OWB with it. They are made in AZ buy a member of this group. He makes really nice stuff. I could'nt be happier with it. Check out his website at PureKustom and take a look. I wear bluejean shorts and t's most of the time in AZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links