Apply for CCW in LA or San Bernardino?

This is a discussion on Apply for CCW in LA or San Bernardino? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to turn in an application. I have a place in Big Bear Lake (SB County) and am registered to vote there. I actually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apply for CCW in LA or San Bernardino?

Apply for CCW in LA or San Bernardino?

I want to turn in an application. I have a place in Big Bear Lake (SB County) and am registered to vote there. I actually spend more time in LA County than I do in SB county. I know SB is "friendly" but they also require and verify full time residence, which I don't have. I understand a San Diego case has overturned the "full time resident" requirement, but this is very recent. Should I apply in SB or LA county? BTW if denied, my intention is to file a lawsuit based on the Heller and McDonald decisions.

2. Remove Ads

SB requires a minimum 1 year full time residency. They will not issue you a permit if you don't liver here full time. They do a very thurough background investigation and will find out that you spend most of your time in LA. Also while you can show you have the house in big bear on paper, you probably won't pass the neighborhood check. The detective will go out to your house and talk with your neighbors as well. They asked my neighbors how long I have lived at my house, if I am a good neighbor, if I have loud parties and stuff like that. They also checked that my car and motorcycle were at my house. You can give SB a try, but I don't expect you to pass, and then you will have a denial on your record which will make it almost impossible to get a permit in the future. Also on the application you have to sign under penalty of purgery that all the info is true and accurate. They can charge you with a crime (I forget if misdamenor or felony) for lying to a detective. Probably not the news you wanted to hear, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sighere View Post
    I want to turn in an application. I have a place in Big Bear Lake (SB County) and am registered to vote there. I actually spend more time in LA County than I do in SB county. I know SB is "friendly" but they also require and verify full time residence, which I don't have. I understand a San Diego case has overturned the "full time resident" requirement, but this is very recent. Should I apply in SB or LA county? BTW if denied, my intention is to file a lawsuit based on the Heller and McDonald decisions.
    Do you have the financial assets to take on such a powerful respondent? Are you willing to spend those on something you would likely lose? Are you willing and able to spend the time and effort in doing so?

Don't get me wrong, I fully support CCP's, but lawsuits are not easy nor are they cheap; and Uncle Sam is a powerful opponent.

Actually, I intend to tell them the truth. There was a case in San Diego where a guy was denied because he lived there 4 months out of the year. The court determined that the county could not discriminate against him for this. (I've had the place for 5 years) Now that SCOTUS has determined that the 2nd amendment is a fundamental right, I don't think that the counties can discriminate based on residence. I figure LA will definitely deny just because that's what they do and SB county will deny because of my residency... Either way, I'm willing to litigate because I'm also an attorney, so it costs me very little to file a lawsuit. (in general I think it would be great if a bunch of us filed lawsuits and forced the county sheriffs into realizing they need to approve applications rather than go to the costs of litigation)

Check California Concealed Weapon (CCW) Forum
    There have been many discussions on this topic.
    Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

How can you praise freedom, and condemn that which gains and preserves it?

Striker, now that SCOTUS has determined that the second amendment is a fundamental right, it is the government's burden to prove that they are furthering a vital governmental interest by denying a fundamental right. I don't think they can carry that burden. (think of it in terms of the 1st amendment; you don't need a license for free speech and the government has to jump through hoops to deny your rights)

Give a call to SB sheriff's central station tomorrow and ask. They would be the direct source for the answer and you won't have wasted your time with the application if they say no.

Quote Originally Posted by sighere View Post
    Striker, now that SCOTUS has determined that the second amendment is a fundamental right, it is the government's burden to prove that they are furthering a vital governmental interest by denying a fundamental right. I don't think they can carry that burden. (think of it in terms of the 1st amendment; you don't need a license for free speech and the government has to jump through hoops to deny your rights)
    Very true. And the only way things are going to change is if people are willing to fight it. Good luck!

I do feel sorry for those in CA.

Jermedic, great idea. I fully expect them to say no, because I am not a full time resident, so that would most likely be the point of litigation. Since it's now a fundamental right, I think the "good cause" statement is moot

It's a shame you don't live in Ventura county, at least there you've got a chance of being approved (compared to Los Angeles county, that is.)

I was born in Port Hueneme, spent the first 4 years of my life in Oxnard, and would really love to go back and visit sometime. However, given the current political climate there as well as their disregard of my Second Amendment rights, I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'd really be interested in seeing how either of your applications go.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

SCOTUS has nothing to do with it in this case. The only person you have to worry about is either your Sheriff for county or Police if you live within city limits.

SCOTUS = Tells you that you can own a gun
    Sheriff or Police Chief = Tells you that you can or can't pack it in public
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    SCOTUS has nothing to do with it in this case. The only person you have to worry about is either your Sheriff for county or Police if you live within city limits.

SCOTUS = Tells you that you can own a gun
    Sheriff or Police Chief = Tells you that you can or can't pack it in public
    Agree. This contractor and attorney needs to do his own due diligence.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Not so fast. SCOTUS ruled that the right to "keep" and "bear" arms is a fundamental right. This means that a sheriff or police chief can only violate this right if there is a "compelling state interest", which is a pretty high hurdle. McDonald and Heller in my opinion has changed the landscape more than most people realize. Again, since it is now a fundamental right, it is elevated to the position of the first amendment. Nobody would dream of requiring licenses for the exercise of free speech. It it the gov't's burden to prove that they are achieving a compelling state interest in the least restrictive way. It will surely be interesting!

I seriously hope you can overturn the barbaric way they make people jump thru hoops just so they may have the means of self defense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The problem that you have is that 2A didn't include a few little words that would have made a world of difference. "....keep and bear arms anywhere in the country and without any restrictions..." So, in the meantime you're going to have to stick with what State and Local laws read. Because if you are going to take the SCOTUS decesion quite literally and act now on it's implied meaning, you don't even have to apply for a permit.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links