Brand new cc...need some advice

This is a discussion on Brand new cc...need some advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just began to carry this week and i must say, IT IS GREAT. I live in Pa. and have my ltcf, so i cc ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new cc...need some advice

Brand new cc...need some advice

I just began to carry this week and i must say, IT IS GREAT. I live in Pa. and have my ltcf, so i cc but have no real problem with oc. 2 questions....1st, looking for a good cc holster, maybe a fobus...Any suggestions? 2nd, i do leave my fire arm locked in my glove box at work. right now we are in a heat wave and im not sure how this will affect my weapon. Any advice?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum. Great place here!
    1. check out the holster forum, tons of info. There's also a master list for holster makers. There's also the search function as well. Then do some YouTube/Google-Fu for your specific firearm.
    2. I generally don't leave weapons in a locked car. But, temp-wise I think you need to get up to almost oven hot to discharge ammo.

1- I'm a big fan of Crossbreed Supertucks. It has been my go to CC holster this summer.
    2- Don't worry about it. Except to say that it can be a bit uncomfortable when you put it back on depending on how hot the gun is and what it's touching.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Fan of Cross Breed holsters and Kholsters. Lots of good one...depends on your body type and what you want to carry.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

Interesting video about the fobus style holsters, make your own assessment. I as of current have no recommendation for a CC holster.

Before I got my concealed carry permit, I too, locked my firearm in the glovebox, I doubt it would be any huge concern. Even if you wrapped it in foil in the hottest part of the hottest place on earth, I doubt it would heat up enough to discharge. Also if loose ammunition is heated to the point of combusting the bullet weights "so much" that the larger danger comes from the casing, this can be seen on a few videos, I believe Mythbusters may have even tried this one. I suppose, in a worst-case scenario only the round in the chamber/chambers would pose a problem, unless you carry a semi-automatic that reached the "cook off" point that would fire the first round, and continue to fire and cycle until the gun ran dry, but if the round in the chamber was hot enough to go off, the others would as well.... Again, I'm going to go out on a limb and call this impossible

Thanks everyone. What about keeping everything lubed while in the heat.?

from Central Florida!

I would not keep a gun in my car for long periods of time, but if I have to leave it in the car, I use this... Center Of Mass Central
    I have it in the trunk and wired to the spare and covered by the trunk carpet...not easily spotted.
    Heat is not going to harm your firearm nor the ammo.

For holsters, I have over 3 dozen Fist holsters...quality, quick delivery, and reasonable prices... HOLSTERS

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    just lube your weapon like normal--a good like Rem Oil or others out there are great for a very wide temp range (I used Rem Oil on all my hunting rifles when we lived in Fairbanks and hunted at -40)

About the holster, the first thing you want to figure out is HOW you want to carry. IWB (Inside the waistband) or OWB, (Outside the waistband). both have their good points. OWB is much more comfortable and you don't need to get a larger pair of pants, BUT OWB is harder to conceal--you need a cover garment that is untucked and has enough length and drape to completely cover the pistol.

IWB, on the other hand is much easier to conceal, esp. if you get an IWB that is "tuckable". This means that the way the holster is attached to the belt has a space for you to actually tuck your shirt over the gun/holster combo. See the Crossbreed website for a demo. Then you need to decide--do I want all leather, leather/kydex combo? Like other members have said, we have some great holstermakers on this site.

WHATEVER holster you get, make sure that you buy a special belt to carry on--it makes an absolutley astounding difference. Beltman, and other leather makers here also make special gun belts. Oh, welcome to the forum
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by jables View Post
    I just began to carry this week and i must say, IT IS GREAT. I live in Pa. and have my ltcf, so i cc but have no real problem with oc. 2 questions....1st, looking for a good cc holster, maybe a fobus...Any suggestions? 2nd, i do leave my fire arm locked in my glove box at work. right now we are in a heat wave and im not sure how this will affect my weapon. Any advice?
    Your car will not get hot enough to set off ammo, your seats would be melting first.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

What kind of gun do you carry? Some guns require a little extra attention than others.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

I got a IWB and small-of-back BUG holster from Triple-K in California. Both are custom molded for my Kel-Tec P11 and do great. I feel if you get a holster molded to your gun you will like it much more than a generic holster. The IWB was $35 and the BUG was $54 plus $12 shipping & handling. 2 to 12 weeks for delivery is the only con I can see. Took six weeks in my case. Ordered them thru Cowboy Shooters Shooter's Supply in Ohio.

I clean my weapon after every firing session (cause I enjoy doing it) using Rem Oil w/Teflon and Mobil One synthetic grease for the slide grooves. Mobile One costs $6 - $8 for a 1 lb. can and will last FOREVER!
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I'm partial to Milt Spark holsters, they are very well made and extreemly comfortable.

Welcome aboard!
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Quote Originally Posted by rglyons View Post
    Yeah, My CCW is nicknamed "Barkey"
    and my 12 Ga S x S is "Boomer"
    I'm old so I can get away with that.
    Okie Dokie..
    Very... interesting signature..
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

The "lock" as it is referred to on a vehicle's glove box is basically a means to keep the compartment from opening in the event of a rollover crash. It is not by any means a safe "locked" location for firearm storage. +1 on the Center of Mass product.

As for a holster, I find my Crossbreed Super Tuck a great CC rig.

Welcome to DC!
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

1 - gonna have to say cross breed super tuck
    2 - I had no problem with the gun in car during that heat but I'm glad to have the rain I live in pa as well and that heat was killer
    Smith&Wesson M&P45
    Dan Wesson .357

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links