Took the bicycle for a ride packin the HK.

This is a discussion on Took the bicycle for a ride packin the HK. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my CPL for about a year now, (as well as my carry gun, an HK USP compact) and carry it in a supertuck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the bicycle for a ride packin the HK.

I've had my CPL for about a year now, (as well as my carry gun, an HK USP compact) and carry it in a supertuck - although I don't carry as often as I like I still feel a little nervous, or aware that I may be printing, and what others might think if I'm "outed" carrying a gun, but I think its starting to fade.. Went on some bike rides wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt and was a little concerned about my bent over position on my bike and that I would be printing a bit, but I'm starting to care less and less as I really think others are completely oblivious, could be a cell phone or just about anything else on my belt under my shirt - put on some miles the last couple days through suburban areas and along a high power transmission line that has somewhat of a paved "nature trail" that goes on for miles with lots of suburbanites going for a walk and don't think anyone noticed or cared, at least I did'nt witness any reactions. I think people are more likely to notice if you're figeting with your belt, shirt, and constantly checking out of paranioa rather than just going about your business. live and let live I guess. I feel a little more concientious when carrying with a tucked shirt though, as typically you will not find anyone carrying something under a tucked shirt other than a gun so I try to blouse out my shirt just enough and avoid bending (just squat to have a close look at something) even then people probably don't think about it - but zipping through the streets and trails with an untucked shirt I think I'm finnally not concerned at all about the but of my gun poking out the edge of my t-shirt slightly. Just thought I'd voice my thoughts for the night. Thats all.

One more thing - anyone else do much cycling while carrying? Whats you're setup? ever try it in more traditional "roadie" garb - as in tight fit jersey, etc? maybe carry in a camelback? I mountain bike mostly now but would entertain getting a road bike, and the wardrobe may change with that transition and was Just thinking of options..

I'm still trying to figure out how to carry on my mountain bike. I purchased a small handle bar bag but haven't made it work just right. Even though I ride a mountain bike I do wear cycling shorts so IWB carry is not an option.

I'll figure it out sooner or later because I'm not giving up my cycling shorts.

I face a lot of trouble carrying while mountain biking. I ride paved trails and mountain bike quite a bit. The one time I carried it was painful. I had to wear shorts with belt loops rather than my usual cycling garb. I also took a nasty spill in which the dove tail of my gun dug painfully into my side, leaving a horrid bruise.

Since then I have not carried while riding, in addition to the spill, I also get screwed up on the more advanced trails because of the unbalanced weight. I am thinking about getting a light zip up cover shirt and wearing a belly band.

I'll keep working on it an let you know what I figure out!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

I ride everyday 2 + hours minimum. I wear baggy cycling shorts with cargo pockets and carry my sig 238 in a pocket holster with no issue.

Interesting reading everyones posts! I may entertain some cycling shorts on the mountain bike too.. Just havn't crossed over there yet. I havn't carried on any crazy singletrack yet either, a little leary about that unless my gun was protected pretty well in a holster and in my pack or something and since I don't always carry a pack other than my small under seat pack with a few essential tools and bandages I may forgo the carry, but we'll see. ride hard and stay safe!

VIP Member
    I ride a bike sometimes (I need to ride more).

My wife and I aren't serious/pro riders, we just ride around town, we need the aerobic exercise. We don't wear bike shorts, but I do wear pants with a belt, I wear a retention holster covered by a long t-shirt.

Works very well for us.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MtflyerHK View Post
    Interesting reading everyones posts! I may entertain some cycling shorts on the mountain bike too.. Just havn't crossed over there yet. I havn't carried on any crazy singletrack yet either, a little leary about that unless my gun was protected pretty well in a holster and in my pack or something and since I don't always carry a pack other than my small under seat pack with a few essential tools and bandages I may forgo the carry, but we'll see. ride hard and stay safe!
    Yeah the one spill was enough for me. Have not carried on trails since.
    I just try to remind myself that if I get in a SD situation while on a trail, I will face not only the full wrath of my assailant, but also from every single member on DC. As far as carrying in a pack of the sort you are referring to, it's probably better than nothing, but it is very possible that you will not be able to produce your weapon in time.

To be honest, when I am riding, I am far more worried about that next log coming up in the trail than anything else. That's why I ride, kayak, swim, etc. - it clears my mind and I don't worry about anything but the task at hand for those blissful, muscle tearing, helmet knocking hours.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    a fanny pack wouldnt work on the bike?

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to carry on my mountain bike. I purchased a small handle bar bag but haven't made it work just right. Even though I ride a mountain bike I do wear cycling shorts so IWB carry is not an option.

I'll figure it out sooner or later because I'm not giving up my cycling shorts.
    Baggy cycling shorts. Cycling shorts under cargo shorts. Jersey with the pocket in the back is perfect for a pocket gun.

I've used all these methods and they all work well. If you're a really hardcore road rider/racer, the pocket gun in the jersey pocket is the only one that works. But I've found wearing cargo shorts over cycling shorts is the most useful and versatile.

One method I tried that failed was a small gun in a nylon shoulder holster under a jersey. Normally, I love my shoulder holsters, but they just don't work on the bike. Too much moving around, sweat, difficult to draw, etc.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    Yeah the one spill was enough for me. Have not carried on trails since.
    I just try to remind myself that if I get in a SD situation while on a trail, I will face not only the full wrath of my assailant, but also from every single member on DC. As far as carrying in a pack of the sort you are referring to, it's probably better than nothing, but it is very possible that you will not be able to produce your weapon in time.

To be honest, when I am riding, I am far more worried about that next log coming up in the trail than anything else. That's why I ride, kayak, swim, etc. - it clears my mind and I don't worry about anything but the task at hand for those blissful, muscle tearing, helmet knocking hours.
    I hear ya - Biking is a big release for me also, I think about the gun a little more when I'm riding in a little more "suburban" setting close to home, but when I'm off the beaten path I too am more concerned about the waterbars, stumps, and running over a bear at dusk (which I really almost did once flying downhill back to my vehicle! Luckily he was as startled as I was and hightailed it out of there and out of my way!) For that I carry bear spray which I feel is a bit more effective than even a .44mag in certain situations. I usually find a way to keep a can of that handy on my bike or in my pack which is easier to have close enough at hand for at least a bear than find a carry option for a larger, heavier, more akward shape/size gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    a fanny pack wouldnt work on the bike?
    Yep! Jandd makes some nice ones that do the trick for me.

Just be careful guys. I mountain bike 2-3 times per week, and havent yet carried my gun. The last wreck I had was a simple high speed downhill followed by a "jump". I went sky high and ended up breaking 2 ribs, getting a bruised lung, kidney, and liver. Not to mention really bad road rash on my hip, shoulder and leg. Had I been wearing my gun it would have been MUCH worse. If you land the wrong way on a hard piece of metal, you are in for a world of hurt. If you ride pretty easy I guess it wouldnt be much of an issue, but if you start doing some more aggressive mountain biking, or higher speed road biking, you are taking a big risk. If anything, throw it in a tail bag or similar. Theres no way I would keep the gun on my body...anywhere for that matter. Just my $0.02.

I actually started a "carry while biking" thread a month or two ago, but that was right before my bad crash. The crash changed my mind in a matter of 3 seconds.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I don't regularly do the full "roadie" look when cycling, even when on my road bikes, but when I do, I use an Eagle Creek waist pouch sized for point-and-shoot style cameras, of the 35mm film era. Eagle Creek or someone else probably still makes similar waist pouches. I can carry up to an SP101 in these.

I usually wear bike pants/shorts with belt loops. Mocean makes such clothing, aimed at the bike patrol market. I love my Rapha "Fixed" shorts, which actually go to just below the knee. A belt enables me to use a Safepacker, available from Thewilderness.com . I can carry up to a 4" revolver in my larger Safepacker, but I usually tote a P229 or an SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Baggy cycling shorts. Cycling shorts under cargo shorts. Jersey with the pocket in the back is perfect for a pocket gun.

I've used all these methods and they all work well. If you're a really hardcore road rider/racer, the pocket gun in the jersey pocket is the only one that works. But I've found wearing cargo shorts over cycling shorts is the most useful and versatile.
    I used to road race when I was younger and did a lot of riding every single night. I'm used to tight cycling bike shorts with a liner and chamois pad. Gotta prevent the chaffing and I still have the legs and butt to wear such shorts but from the waist up I'm working on getting back to where I can wear a real jersey again and yes, with the rear pockets I could make something work with ease.

At the age of 40 I'm off the real hard trails these days but still enjoy the dress of a real cyclist. There is no way I can wear baggy shorts over my cycling shorts. It would ruin the mental feel of riding for me.

This just gives more incentive to drop the last 12/15 lbs I need to lose so I can wear a real jersey again and give myself more options.

Thanks for the motivation.

I'd worry about your shirt flying up while riding, print city if your at 3:30 to 6. I'd backpack it, or something. Namely if you go over you handle bars, have to stop really short... wrecks happen. Just too much to go wrong in my opinion. It's just that if someone does see your pistol, you look more like someone getting away than a guy on a bike getting around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links