LEO encounters with non-resident permit, please share

This is a discussion on LEO encounters with non-resident permit, please share within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings to all! I have enjoyed the stories that all have shared with LEO encounters. My thought/question is if anyone has had an encounter with ...

Thread: LEO encounters with non-resident permit, please share

LEO encounters with non-resident permit, please share

Greetings to all! I have enjoyed the stories that all have shared with LEO encounters. My thought/question is if anyone has had an encounter with a LEO and if that LEO understood there was a reciprocity agreement when one produced a out of state permit. For example: Say you have a ND non resident permit and are pulled over in GA (both states share reciprocity). Was there any hassle or problems? Thanks for any input you all can share.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I am a new permit holder so i dont have any stories for you. But the stories that i have read i think have been in "In the News: The good the bad and the ugly" section of this forum. always good to troll over there while waiting for people to post here.

Havn't been pulled over since I've had my permit/permits, and hope I'm not. I've thought about this also, as I do travel out of state often. I don't see how LEO's will be able to keep up with reciprocity, so it "could" be an issue.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    This question is a good one, that's why I appreciate (as a LEO) Utah's stance on reciprocity. We accept ALL permits, no matter the issuing state. It sure makes my job lots easier!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Regardless of what kind of license or permit you have, make SURE that you know the relevant laws of where you happen to be.

I get tired of seeing people complain that they got hassled by the cops when they clearly didn't know the law and were in the wrong. We had one recently on the OFCC website. It was like he didn't even TRY to know the vehicle carry laws of Ohio. And he was surprised that he got into a bind and lost his gun.

I have no sympathy for cops who don't know the law. I have equally little sympathy for citizens who don't know the law.

Senior Moderator
    I've stoped a few people on I-40.
    To be truthful, I dont much care if its officially reciprocol or not.

It you have one, thats good enough for me. You jumped through the hoops to get it, so I am not going to worry about it.
    Thats just me though.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Never had a problem, myself.

Never been pulled out-of State when carrying, but had very good experiences in NC ( a very serious Must Inform State) once when involved in a "situation" (I had called 911 and the Officer was surprised that I had not brandished or worst) and once when a witness to an highway accident.

OTOH, I have know of bad experiences, which others had. Some were of Deanimator's "make SURE that you know the relevant laws of where you happen to be" type.

Some were where the LEO didn't know the relevant laws of where he happen to be employed -- namely State preemption Re: locally owned property, OK to OC & drink in restaurant w/ ABC, and reciprocity law.

FYI, see discussion at http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-s-c-926a.html

Different issue but case law applies to reciprocity, e.g. no recourse "because of the difficulty the police would face figuring out the law."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I had posted previously on my encounter with North Carolina State Troopers at a DUI checkpoint. I am a NC resident; my CWL is out of Florida. The Trooper's only comment was "I like the Florida licenses, they have pictures. Y'all have a nice evening...". All of a thirty-second encounter, no problem whatsoever.
    GMTC(SW) USN (Ret.)
    NRA, IDPA, NCPOA
    CZ-82, Para 1911A1, Mossberg 500, GSG-5

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    OTOH, I have know of bad experiences, which others had. Some were of Deanimator's "make SURE that you know the relevant laws of where you happen to be" type.
    You can't control what the cop does or doesn't know.

You have total control over your own training.

Know the law and obey it and you'll either avoid trouble or come out on top in the end.

I keep a small binder of relevant gun laws of the states I'm visiting. I have it in my vehicle when I take road trips--I use it for reference when stopping to see where I can/can't carry. If there local/county laws, I try to find those and include those too...If I can't find them, well, I have friends here, right??

I highlight the relevant sections of the law/state code which recognizes out-of-state permits/reciprocity--so the officer can look it up himself (in his code book)--or ask someone else to reference the code.

I also keep copies of reciprocity agreements between my home state and the state I'm visiting. These agreements can typically be found on State Police or Atty General websites...print from the website so that the URL prints at the bottom.

Does it seem like a lot of work--yep--but it's to protect me and mine. Oh, and don't forget to keep track of changes in the law.....thus, places like DC.com are a great place to start the education....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links