Great Week.

Great Week.

This is a discussion on Great Week. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, the wife and I just got back from the Texas CHL Instructors course. Overall it was a great week. The DPS does a great ...

Thread: Great Week.

Thumbs up Great Week.

Well, the wife and I just got back from the Texas CHL Instructors course.

Overall it was a great week. The DPS does a great job with this class, even with the stuff that is boring as heck. Sgt. Bamsch and the other staff put together a top notch presentation. I can't really say enough good about it.

The DPS range is a very nice facility, and the range officer runs it smooth and strict. I don't blame him.

One thing that did catch me off guard was during the range safety briefing the RSO's comments on failures. I am not trying to start andy debate or bashing so please lets not make any further bad comments, but he indicated that from his time there, the two guns that seemed to have the most malfunctions were Glocks and 1911's. Again lets not start any bashing, he said he was just calling it like he had seen. (my thoughts, are that it could be the gun, could be the operator, or could be the number of those guns that are used)

My observations during the day were limited. There was one fellow that was having trouble with a Makarov, the guy next to me had some failures on his FN. Down the line there were several other malfunctions, and line stoppages due to any number of issues unknown to me. I will fess up and tell you that I had one shot that I didn't get off due to operator error on my part. I let my thumb come up too high and pushed the safety decocker up enough to keep the trigger from reseting once. Cost me 5 points for missing the unfired shot. This was on my 24/7. The wife ran without any problems with the gun or the operator on her G19.

We met some really good folks down there, most of them will do well as instructors. They ranged from retired folks to guys still in the military, all types of professionals, to just the average blue collar guys, and about 5 or 6 gals including my wife.

Now for the bad. Man some of the folks in the class scared the crap out of me, and I wonder how in the world they are ever going to instruct others. They kept asking questions that they should have already known the answers to, or that the answers were given only a minute or two beforehand. There were folks that didn't read the information about what to bring to class. Some brought guns they had never fired, or didn't bring both pistol and revolver, or didn't bring proper range gear, and even some that brought the wrong ammo or no ammo at all.

I mean when your given instructions with a list of approved ammo, with no exceptions, and no reloaded ammo, and you don't follow or read even those simple instructions, what should people think about you.

Anyway, back off the soap box. We had a really good time. Met a bunch of good folks, and some fine instructors. Now we just have to get moving to get our first class together the first of next month.

BTW. The DPS officer did suggest that if you get pulled over or asked for ID in any other situtation you might as well hand over both DL and CHL card. When they run your DL your having a CHL will come up and they might just wonder why you didn't provide both. He suggested it would be a good practice to get into. Of course those have been my thoughts all along, and I know some of you will continue to disagree on that.

Wow, thats a pretty long post.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well, the wife and I just got back from the Texas CHL Instructors course.

Overall it was a great week. The DPS does a great job with this class, even with the stuff that is boring as heck. Sgt. Bamsch and the other staff put together a top notch presentation. I can't really say enough good about it.

The DPS range is a very nice facility, and the range officer runs it smooth and strict. I don't blame him.

One thing that did catch me off guard was during the range safety briefing the RSO's comments on failures. I am not trying to start andy debate or bashing so please lets not make any further bad comments, but he indicated that from his time there, the two guns that seemed to have the most malfunctions were Glocks and 1911's. Again lets not start any bashing, he said he was just calling it like he had seen. (my thoughts, are that it could be the gun, could be the operator, or could be the number of those guns that are used)

My observations during the day were limited. There was one fellow that was having trouble with a Makarov, the guy next to me had some failures on his FN. Down the line there were several other malfunctions, and line stoppages due to any number of issues unknown to me. I will fess up and tell you that I had one shot that I didn't get off due to operator error on my part. I let my thumb come up too high and pushed the safety decocker up enough to keep the trigger from reseting once. Cost me 5 points for missing the unfired shot. This was on my 24/7. The wife ran without any problems with the gun or the operator on her G19.

We met some really good folks down there, most of them will do well as instructors. They ranged from retired folks to guys still in the military, all types of professionals, to just the average blue collar guys, and about 5 or 6 gals including my wife.

Now for the bad. Man some of the folks in the class scared the crap out of me, and I wonder how in the world they are ever going to instruct others. They kept asking questions that they should have already known the answers to, or that the answers were given only a minute or two beforehand. There were folks that didn't read the information about what to bring to class. Some brought guns they had never fired, or didn't bring both pistol and revolver, or didn't bring proper range gear, and even some that brought the wrong ammo or no ammo at all.

I mean when your given instructions with a list of approved ammo, with no exceptions, and no reloaded ammo, and you don't follow or read even those simple instructions, what should people think about you.

Anyway, back off the soap box. We had a really good time. Met a bunch of good folks, and some fine instructors. Now we just have to get moving to get our first class together the first of next month.

BTW. The DPS officer did suggest that if you get pulled over or asked for ID in any other situtation you might as well hand over both DL and CHL card. When they run your DL your having a CHL will come up and they might just wonder why you didn't provide both. He suggested it would be a good practice to get into. Of course those have been my thoughts all along, and I know some of you will continue to disagree on that.

Wow, thats a pretty long post.

That's the humanity part I've been talking about here recently. Can't avoid it, we're all here. For some it's quite shocking at first to realize...for others, it's common place and a day-to-day ordeal.

Glad you both had a great week. Sometimes I forget what a great week could be. I'm rather happy with a couple of good days now. I still take satisfaction knowing others can have a good week. Congratulations to the both of you, and making a difference in the CC world. I know you'll be excellent instructors and hold high standards. My best wishes to you both.

Congrats! to both of you. Let us know how your first few classes go.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Congrats. Sounds like a fun week!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Folks like that should be dismissed immediately. They weren't prepared, didn't read the materials, and they are WASTING the time of the conscientious students and the instructors. Drum them out.

Really glad the rest of it was great! Congratulations to you both!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Don't know that I could agree with the instructor on the failures, but Glocks and 1911s would seem to cover the majority of firearms I see at a range, so it would appear to be the ones with the most failures by mere numbers.

As for the inept and unprepared, it's no different for Drivers licenses. And cars are much more deadly than guns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Folks like that should be dismissed immediately. They weren't prepared, didn't read the materials, and they are WASTING the time of the conscientious students and the instructors. Drum them out.

^^^^^But,but but... That wouldn't be FAIR!!!^^^^
    Yeah I'm kidding, that would be the expected action, wouldn't it?

Sounded like a great time.
    Good luck in your Endeavors

" The country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of the hammer "Will Rogers
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I had a buddy of mine down there as well, and he echoed your sentiments.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Glocks and 1911s are both subject to malfunctions from limp-wristing, a common practice among inexperienced shooters. Both types are generally very reliable if maintained and used as intended.

Sounds like a great week overall.
    Remember that you will be dealing with some students like the inept ones you described.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Don't know that I could agree with the instructor on the failures, but Glocks and 1911s would seem to cover the majority of firearms I see at a range, so it would appear to be the ones with the most failures by mere numbers.

As for the inept and unprepared, it's no different for Drivers licenses. And cars are much more deadly than guns.
    I agree that it could be the sheer numbers of those guns that folks bring to qualify with. Both of those are subject to malfunction from limpwristing of folks not familar with them.

Of course these folks weren't showing up to get a DL, they were showing up to be certified to teach others to get their CHL. I expect much more from someone who is wanting to teach others, than I do from someone who is the student.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

I tend to agree, although I guess it is good for them that folks like us don't get to make the rules.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links