Defensive Carry banner

Lost my CHP

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
I lost my CHP at my local walmart :mad: should I be worried?

#2 ·
If you know you lost it at WalMart (where else?) - I'd ask at customer service. It has your name on it. If it isn't there, give it a day and ask again. If it still hasn't been turned in, call the sheriff's office and ask for a replacement.

Did you lose your entire wallet as well? What was it doing outside your wallet?

#7 ·
If you know you lost it at WalMart (where else?) - I'd ask at customer service. It has you name on it. If it isn't there, give it a day and ask again. If it still isn't found, call the sheriff's office for a replacement.

Did you lose your entire wallet as well? What ws it doing outside your wallet?
Actually I have 2 copies of my CHP one I keep in my car and the other in my wallet. I was cleaning my car out and put the copy in my pocket. I noticed it was missing after I came home from walmart. My concern is that my info is on it. I think no one can use it?

#3 ·
I'd be concerned, not worried. Call your issuing agency and ask how to obtain a replacement. You probably are not entitled to carry beyond your home until you have a replacement, but make sure because laws are so variable from state to state.

#19 ·
Nope....Open carry without a permit is perfectly legal.

So does a phone book or a city directory.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, but a phone book doesn't have "Gun here" written in it....

#6 ·
I would be contacting someone to get it canceled or just to let them know what happened. If for some crazy reason the person who found it was to get caught committing a crime and he had your license on him it might open up a keg of worms that you don't need. Unlikely but who knows.

It would make you feel foolish but I would definitely get in touch with the police and get it on record that it occurred. Always CYA.

#10 ·
I imagine it would be the same thing as a lost driver's license. Can someone else "use" it? Sure. That doesn't make it legal, nor you responsible. IANAL.

On the other hand, if you already have the original, I'd just make another copy and press on.

I'd still check with customer service at Wally World, however.

I am not sure about VA, but in NC, my CHP is the same number as my driver's license. Hence, they are related documents. There is no photo or anti-conterfeiting technology on my CHP. Basically, my CHP is not valid unless supported by my state DL.

In fact, the only reason I think they make it a separate document instead of just another certification on the driver's license itself is so you don't have to disclose your status when you need to use your DL as ID to pay with a check, or other such purpose.

#12 ·
Just talked to the Local LEO and they said not to worry about it because it must be carried with proper photo ID. Thats cool and all, but, Im still concerned about my info on it. It doesn't have my SS# on it. It just has my name and address on it.

Update: I was able to make a report. Thanks agian for your help fellas:)

#16 ·
yeah for those who dont know VA ccw permits are a joke. They are printed on slightly heavier than regular paper. they have name addy, description of self (including weight). as soon as mine came in (3 weeks ago) I saw how simple is was, almost made 6 copies and had them laminated. I *would* keep one in the wallet all the cars and the house, and one in my holster. I don't know if its illegal to have multiple copies like a drivers license but i suppose if it is i'd rather have too many than zero. Havn't got around to checking if its legal yet so i havn't done it.

#20 ·
I know exactly how you feel! I laminated mine and put it behind my license. I don't know the laws on copies, but you can call the State Police and they will happily answer any questions you have.

#26 ·
I personally would be worried. On my license, it also has the make, model and serial numbers of the weapons that I carry, along with my address and thumb print. Yikes. I had to laminate mine because the color of my wallet started to bleed onto the license.

#27 ·
Since you only lost a copy of your permit you should be OK. BTW, where is the "original"? Anyway, the only thing I would worry about is the other info on many CC permits getting into the wrong hands. Here in Texas your state DL number is included on the handgun license as well as your photo, name, address, etc. and that could be used by people who are up to no good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.