Dog attack tonight

Dog attack tonight

This is a discussion on Dog attack tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I had an interesting evening. After my mom came over tonight for dinner, we thought we would take the dogs out on a walk. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dog attack tonight

Well, I had an interesting evening. After my mom came over tonight for dinner, we thought we would take the dogs out on a walk. Just like every time I take the dogs out, I always bring my G26 but have been neglecting to bring my OC spray. About halfway through the walk, I hear this loud noise and see that two large dogs (including a pit) had broken out of their house through the front door and were running towards us. Of course they both go toward one of my dogs and jump her. I can tell you I was really wishing I had my spray at this point. Luckily through loud yelling, rushing at them and perhaps they just didn't want to fight that badly, they broke off after only a couple of seconds.

This got me thinking of what role the OC was providing when I carried it. There are situations where lethal force just isn't required or legally justified where this type of defense can really be useful. Even if one can legally be justified for protecting your pet through lethal force, it can save a lot of hassel from the LEO if OC can be used instead.

I guarantee you I won't leave the house without it again. I'm just glad I didn't have to learn this lesson the hard way with my dog getting hurt or worse.

Glad to hear every thing turned out OK

Every time my G26 is on me, my OC spray is right there as well.

Glad things were ok.

I carry OC about 80% of the time in general.

But if I'm out walking the dogs or just out for a walk in general then I always have OC along with a gun or two.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yes, OC is good for just this sort of thing.

I don't use it for two-legged attackers though. I don't want OC in my hand if they pull a gun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

OC

Wow. I never carried OC. Smart thinking by who do so.
    Glad you and dogs are okay.

I've seen this claim about the dog tail twice recently. Both times were here, I believe. Do you have any place that can back this up before someone attempts this? I've never heard of such a thing until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by craigm View Post
    I've seen this claim about the dog tail twice recently. Both times were here, I believe. Do you have any place that can back this up before someone attempts this? I've never heard of such a thing until recently.
    I have never seen this be the case, personally. Having seen several fights break out at the local off-leash park (people bring dogs that they haven't socialized and expect them to behave, for some reason) I have seen people do the tail swatting, as well as the flick on the nose, and neither has worked. I would also be interested in seeing proof of this being done successfully. I don't carry OC spray, but when I've had to break up fights I usually just use deflection techniques with my knees, being sure to keep my femoral artery away from teeth. Only once have I had to hit a dog to get it to let go of mine, and that was a brisk tap with the back of my fist on the jaw muscle.

OP: Glad everything worked out okay for you, and don't get too caught up in the breeds involved--I have yet to meet a pit bull that would do anything like that, but I only hang out with people who raise their animals right ;)

If the dog is a threat to YOU (not your dog) = Shoot. The. Dog.

What do your local laws say about defending property (i.e. your dog)?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Finish your story...
    Did the dog break off the attack because of what you said/did?
    Did the dogs go back to their yard?
    Did the owner(s) of the dogs come out?
    Did you say something to the owner (in your subdivision)?
    Did you report it to have a paper trail?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by swbkb8 View Post
    Well, I had an interesting evening. After my mom came over tonight for dinner, we thought we would take the dogs out on a walk. Just like every time I take the dogs out, I always bring my G26 but have been neglecting to bring my OC spray. About halfway through the walk, I hear this loud noise and see that two large dogs (including a pit) had broken out of their house through the front door and were running towards us. Of course they both go toward one of my dogs and jump her. I can tell you I was really wishing I had my spray at this point. Luckily through loud yelling, rushing at them and perhaps they just didn't want to fight that badly, they broke off after only a couple of seconds.

This got me thinking of what role the OC was providing when I carried it. There are situations where lethal force just isn't required or legally justified where this type of defense can really be useful. Even if one can legally be justified for protecting your pet through lethal force, it can save a lot of hassel from the LEO if OC can be used instead.

I guarantee you I won't leave the house without it again. I'm just glad I didn't have to learn this lesson the hard way with my dog getting hurt or worse.
    I always carry OC spray (and my S&W .38) when my wife and I walk our dog. Glad things turned out OK for you.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I never leave home without a pistol, pepper spray, and a lockblade knife. So far, I've been forced to use a firearm twice, and pepper spray numerous times. Thankfully, I haven't been forced into a situation that would require me to resort to using the lockblade yet. But, one never knows what's in store for them around the next corner, or farther down the road of life, do they?
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    Dogs can be mean, but if you're equally aggressive and willing to endure a a bite or two if necessary, the human always wins.
    I'm not willing to take ONE.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    There is nothing wrong with carrying a stick (a broom handle cut down, a pipe), guaranteed to make contact more then any O/C Spray at a charging dog and still pretty much non-lethal if that is your way of going.

I love some of the other comments here

My apologies to the author. I'm glad you and your dog are ok and it worked out for you.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    Should a fight break out or appear imminent, knocking down the dogs tail will almost always take the "fight" out of him (or her).

If a fight does occur and you don't have any options (OC spray or the 'big bang'), scissor the dog around the rib cage with your legs. Take away the wind and you take away the fight. Dogs can be mean, but if you're equally aggressive and willing to endure a a bite or two if necessary, the human always wins.
    The attack of a pit bull is extremely fast and furious. Trying to knock it's tail down is like trying to put salt on a birds tail so it can't fly.

Getting him into a "scissor hold"? I don't think so. You'd be ripped to shreds by an aggressive pit. That just isn't a recommended option in my book and I'd never recommend anyone try it.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Cool

[QUOTE=Guardian;1698543]There is nothing wrong with carrying a stick (a broom handle cut down, a pipe), guaranteed to make contact more then any O/C Spray at a charging dog and still pretty much non-lethal if that is your way of going.

After I saw Cesar " The Dog Whisperer" carrying a long stick a couple of times on his TV show I thought this may be a good idea along with the OC spray when walking the pups. Most of the time you do not have to shoot the dogs to get them to break off an attack. Lately some of my brothers have been very quick to use that option instead of the OC or an ASP baton. The taser is difficult to get angled properly to get both probes in the dogs side. Years ago as a beat cop up north when we carried the 24" cocoboa baton with the leather thong (no not that kind of thong) we use to deal with dogs all the time. They learned real quick that we could flick that stick out another 20 inches or so in addition to the length of the baton and give them a good wack in the head that they would remember the next time you walked past that house.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links